AIDC F-CK-1C Ching-Kuo WIP (AFV 1/48)

ZHOU Kun

Hello this is my current build! An AFV 1/48 F-CK-1C Ching-Kuo Indigenous Defence Fighter. I decided to build this one in flight  Here is the current status:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Here are some of my previous in-flight-aircraft works, from which I have earned some experience depicting aircraft in-flight-modeling with landing gear down

1) Boeing F/A-18F, VX-23 Salty Dogs, Hasegawa 07450, 1/48

spacer.png

spacer.png

2)  Boeing EF-18AM, Ala 15, Ejercito del Aire. Kinetic Models 1/48

spacer.png

spacer.png

3)  Grumman F-14D Super Tomcat, VF-213 Operation Enduring Freedom, AMK 1/48

spacer.png

spacer.png

4)  Grumman F-14D Super Tomcat, VF-2 Bounty Hunters, Operation Iraqi Freedom, Tamiya 1/48

spacer.png

spacer.png

5) Mikoyan MiG-31BS, Blue 16m VVS Russia, AMK 1/48

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, I am doing a little update here. Relocating the nose gear and adding a little hydraulic lines to the main gear struts. 

I found that in my previous photos the nose gear was absolutely too short compared to the main ones. After checking real aircraft photos on google and I decided the rotating axle was located at wrong position. The nose strut should be at the back of the gear bay.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are three hydraulic line per each main gear strut. Two for wheel brake pads and the other goes to somewhere above the shock absorber pistons. I used tin wires as they were easier to re-shape. I am considering adding some line clips to the torsion link, which are made of plastic cards.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 2

My updating may not stick to time line in real world. But I will address all key steps building an F-CK-1 aircraft on final approach.

Supporting tubes should be added to keep the model in the air. I originally decided to add thin metal tubes to the aft fuselage, just like what I had done to my F/A-18F and EF-18AM models. But, the AFV Ching-Kuo aircraft model is filled with interiors: the aft fuselage was filled with engine nacelles and there are firewall between them. The middle section contain a pair of intake trunks. While the Tien Chien-2 AAM and their adapters take up the center line. I had to place the tube and plastic tube cover at an off-center position near the main landing gear bay

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

As for the intake trunks, it was peculiar that this aircraft was painted gun ship gray for the inside. It may be difficult to check for FOD. ANyway, I followed the painting scheme provide by AFV's instruction sheets. I painted the outside of the intake and then cover them, followed by another round of gun-ship gray painting

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 1

A pilot is needed to depict an flying aircraft model. I chose KASL's Seated Pilot for F-CK-1C. AFV has two versions of seated pilots for F-CK-1C, one for AFV models, the other for Freedom models. My version was in fact for Freedom models, yet it worked fine with AFV airframe.

The pilot was moulded with the seat. So I airbrushed the seat with Mr.Color's C33 flat black (added a drop of dark gray) , and then hand brushed it with Tamiya acrylics

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Happy new year! And I managed to apply Mr. Surfacer the primer. The model looks good except for some shrinks and seams. I hope that they will be fixed after second application of Tamiya Basic Putty

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Here comes the first painted camoflage part, the canopy. I simply masked the fiber glasses and then sprayed Mr. Surfacer 1200 as the primer. I also applied flat black in the inside of the frame as to make it not transparent at all. The AFV canopy has mould line in the middle of it, one has to sand it out and then polish it. I also dip the canopy into a bowl of Pledge Floor Future in order to make it shiny.

The top coat of canopy contains two tones of gray, I used Mr. Color C306 for FS36270 and C11 for FS36440 and I followed a 'light to dark' sequence 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 1

There are five different tones on the airframe and I followed a light to dark sequence. My airbrush is old and not clean enough and make it not easy to draw fine lines by freehand. So I rely on masking tapes as I make solid lines at first, followed by supplement painting by freehand.  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And this is what it looks like now

spacer.png

When viewed from top, there are four colors. FS36118 over the tip of port wing and horizontal stabilizer, FS36270 for most of the mid and aft fuselage, FS36622 for the tip of starboard wing and horizontal stabilizer, FS36440 for the nose section 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Preliminary result of mask and airbrushing. As you can see, the patterns over the starboard wing and horizontal tail is a little too rigid. I am going to smooth this by a little bit with a little touch of free hand airbrushing 

spacer.png

spacer.png

The F-CK-1 aircraft features unique camoflage pattern. For the underside of the airframe: FS36270 on tip of the starbord wing (also with external fuel tanks), FS36440 for the most of both wings and fuselage, FS17875 for the tip of port wing 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am having some trouble logging onto my Imgur account so I am re-using my weibo album now. Here comes the updating on TFE1042-70 afterburner cans and exhaust nozzles. It really took some time masking. Here is the sequence:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png 

• Like 4

My can log onto my Imgur account now so I am re-uploading them here:

Here comes the updating on TFE1042-70 afterburner cans and exhaust nozzles. It really took some time masking. Here is the sequence:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Painted the landing gear struts white and tyres flat black. The extended shock absorber tubes are made of stainless steel tubes. The F-CK-1 is a tiny aircraft so I had to choose the minimal size of tubes. The tubes themselves do not need painting since they are already shiny. And this is the mock up now.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A little freehand airbrushing to make the camouflage lines a little blur. The previous line seems to be a little too rigid

spacer.png

spacer.png

Mask and airbrush: IFF bird slicer antenna. I stick masking tape to the cutting mat, and then slice it into small pieces. as to mask various delicate parts

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hand brushing landing gear extension/retraction actuator rods with Mr.Color SM206 Super Chrome Silver

spacer.png

And I also painted the landing gear doors. The inside of them are semi-gloss white. Door actuator rods and landing lights are painted with SM206

spacer.png

Painting of nose gear doors. I airbrushed the inside semi-gloss white, and outside airframe camouflages. The actuator rod and taxi lights are hand brushed with SM206

spacer.png

spacer.png

A little preshading was done on the outside of main wheel doors, after which camouflage colors are applied/

spacer.png

• Like 3

Gear doors with camouflage applied

spacer.png

Main gear legs with wheel brake lines painted

spacer.png

spacer.png

It is time to move back to the cockpit and I attached the photo-etched rear view mirrors to the canopy frame. The metal parts are made by Voyager Model in mainland China, who collaborates with AFV model with the F-CK-1C kit. Four mirrors are provided, of which only two are needed

spacer.png

Easy to attach with some instant glue, and easy to adjust

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 3

On 14/02/2022 at 17:43, Serkan Sen said:

The plane looks amazing. Many years ago I started to create a CAD model of this aircraft and 80% completed. But after the release of AVF kit that was a dead project. Maybe I can continue to model two seater in 72 scale...

Serkan

Hi Serkan,I like this one but very difficult to find it in 1/72. Do you have pictures of your CAD ?  

10 hours ago, Serkan Sen said:

Yes I have Neffan, but I don't want to hijack this topic. Here are a pair of images of my model:

2911.jpg

2912.jpg

Serkan

Hi Serkan, you are very talented in CAD. I'ts your basic training/profession?

Thank you for the photos.

• Thanks 1

Hello,  I am back here with some news of my updates. 

First of all: Sealing the cockpit

For an in-flight aircraft, the cabin should be sealed, air conditioned and (if) pressurized. One important thing is sealing the cockpit. The fitting of AFV Club F-CK-1C canopy is not really good. I tried pressing the canopy to make it conform to nose section (with CA glues) but it did not work well. So, I went for Tamiya's basic putty, and did minimum amount of sanding. (I remembered that AFV CLub F-CK-1 canopies were fragile and some modelers did break them by pressing it too hard when sanding.)

Here comes the photos with closed cabin.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The aircraft model did look better when I sealed the cabin. Here comes the mock up with drop tanks

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There is no obvious gaps under the canopy when looking from a 'ground observer view' now

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Second of all:  Align all the wheels to make them parallel. Note the unloaded landing gear legs 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Note the mirrors inside the canopy frame

spacer.png

Edited by ZHOU Kun
  • Like 4

On 15/02/2022 at 00:43, Serkan Sen said:

The plane looks amazing. Many years ago I started to create a CAD model of this aircraft and 80% completed. But after the release of AVF kit that was a dead project. Maybe I can continue to model two seater in 72 scale...

Serkan

The CAD drawings are amazing! There is a studio called Moxing who released a resin version of 72nd scale, with both single seat and twin seater versions

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/moxing-studio-rocaf-f-ck-1a-mlu--179236

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/moxing-studio-002-rocaf-f-ck-1b--1070659

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...