FAA Dagger references?

Bozothenutter

The most recent title on the subject is from Kagero, that I don't have and of which I can only offer this review, that shows some disappointment:

https://reviews.ipmsusa.org/review/mirage-iii-iai-nesherdagger

From what the reviewer says this sounds like a good book compromised by a bad translation... I've had similar problems before with other books and I've almost always managed to get the info I wanted, still it is a problem that may annoy the reader.

If you can read Spanish, you could try to find a copy of the volume issued by a publisher in Argentina as part of the "Serie Fuerza Aerea Argentina". Volume 9 was devoted to the Dagger, covering the period 1978-1982, including the use of the type in the war. I have seen (but don't have) later volumes covering the postwar years, but I this is the one you may find more interesting.

The book is more historical than technical, although the half chapter on the weapons used is interesting. Modifications specific to FAA use are only mentioned since this is not really a book dedicated to modellers (although the ones mentioned would really be mostly internal). Pictures are not all great unfortunately.

How easy this book may be to find ? No clue !

Another book you may find interesting is "Latin American Mirages", from Harpia. This discusses the various Mirage variants in use in the whole Latin America, the chapter on the Daggers in Argentina use is quite good but of course only part of the book. This book at least should be easily available and I've seen it going pretty heavily discounted.. and I mean really heavily ! The Aviation Bookshop has this available for a fiver, that for a 240+ page well printed and illustrated book is an absolute bargain (and that's where I got mine a while ago)

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

The most recent title on the subject is from Kagero, that I don't have and of which I can only offer this review, that shows some disappointment:

https://reviews.ipmsusa.org/review/mirage-iii-iai-nesherdagger

From what the reviewer says this sounds like a good book compromised by a bad translation... I've had similar problems before with other books and I've almost always managed to get the info I wanted, still it is a problem that may annoy the reader.

If you can read Spanish, you could try to find a copy of the volume issued by a publisher in Argentina as part of the "Serie Fuerza Aerea Argentina". Volume 9 was devoted to the Dagger, covering the period 1978-1982, including the use of the type in the war. I have seen (but don't have) later volumes covering the postwar years, but I this is the one you may find more interesting.

The book is more historical than technical, although the half chapter on the weapons used is interesting. Modifications specific to FAA use are only mentioned since this is not really a book dedicated to modellers (although the ones mentioned would really be mostly internal). Pictures are not all great unfortunately.

How easy this book may be to find ? No clue !

Another book you may find interesting is "Latin American Mirages", from Harpia. This discusses the various Mirage variants in use in the whole Latin America, the chapter on the Daggers in Argentina use is quite good but of course only part of the book. This book at least should be easily available and I've seen it going pretty heavily discounted.. and I mean really heavily ! The Aviation Bookshop has this available for a fiver, that for a 240+ page well printed and illustrated book is an absolute bargain (and that's where I got mine a while ago)

This the series you mean?

I read a bit os spanish, and have friends in AR, so might be able to get it.

D_NQ_NP_2X_385215-MLA25184444172_112016-

41 minutes ago, Bozothenutter said:

This the series you mean?

I read a bit os spanish, and have friends in AR, so might be able to get it.

THis is the book I mean:

https://www.scalemates.com/pt/books/iai-dagger-fuerza-aerea-9-jorge-f-nunez-padin--123745

I have another couple of the series and as Giampiero said there's a later volume on the same, However I've not seen the newer one, so can't comment on it's content

• Thanks 1

I have both the Fuerza Aerea series n.9 and this:

https://www.scalemates.com/pt/books/dagger-finger-and-mara-fuerza-aerea-19-jorge-f-nunez-padin-juan-c-cicalesi-santiago-rivas--101361

It is a better book with a lot more material - including the South Atlantic conflict 1982

Here in  Europe the easiest way to buy it is here

https://www.aircraft-navalship.com/produit/monographies-argentines/1531

I have bought books here for a long time - worked without a problem

The next place would be  https://www.aviationmegastore.com/dagger-finger-and-mara-in-argentina-padin-9789871682058-aviation-books/product/?action=prodinfo&art=97083

While more expensive they have the book in store right now. However they have extortionate shipping fees (regardless of size/weight) and not-great UPS service

"Select a shipping method

Ship to UPS Access Point€ 18.49

Mind: it is customer's responsibility ( !! )to confirm availability and operational status of the selected UPS Access Point! Any return costs will be charged to the customer !! Shipping to UPS Access Point requires selection of pick up point in same country as billing address.

Ship to address via UPS€ 22.63

I agree that parcel can and will be accepted at the shipping address provided"

In the first (expensive) option you're made reponsible for UPS service in your area!!!! and if UPS cocks it up you pay for a) return to AMS and b) resending it... Marvellous isn't it? 🤮

I used to buy a lot there - then it turned first to a "last resort" for EXPENSIVE exotics not available elsewhere and later they started the weirdly expensive/bad service delivery which killed it for me.

However - they have the book in store now - if you really want it NOW 😇

Cheers, Moggy

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Moggy said:

I have both the Fuerza Aerea series n.9 and this:

https://www.scalemates.com/pt/books/dagger-finger-and-mara-fuerza-aerea-19-jorge-f-nunez-padin-juan-c-cicalesi-santiago-rivas--101361

It is a better book with a lot more material - including the South Atlantic conflict 1982

Here in  Europe the easiest way to buy it is here

https://www.aircraft-navalship.com/produit/monographies-argentines/1531

I have bought books here for a long time - worked without a problem

The next place would be  https://www.aviationmegastore.com/dagger-finger-and-mara-in-argentina-padin-9789871682058-aviation-books/product/?action=prodinfo&art=97083

While more expensive they have the book in store right now. However they have extortionate shipping fees (regardless of size/weight) and not-great UPS service

"Select a shipping method

Ship to UPS Access Point€ 18.49

Mind: it is customer's responsibility ( !! )to confirm availability and operational status of the selected UPS Access Point! Any return costs will be charged to the customer !! Shipping to UPS Access Point requires selection of pick up point in same country as billing address.

Ship to address via UPS€ 22.63

I agree that parcel can and will be accepted at the shipping address provided"

In the first (expensive) option you're made reponsible for UPS service in your area!!!! and if UPS cocks it up you pay for a) return to AMS and b) resending it... Marvellous isn't it? 🤮

I used to buy a lot there - then it turned first to a "last resort" for EXPENSIVE exotics not available elsewhere and later they started the weirdly expensive/bad service delivery which killed it for me.

However - they have the book in store now - if you really want it NOW 😇

Cheers, Moggy

🤣 aviation megastore is actually local to me (everything in NL is really...). I use it the same way as you do, a last resort, as they do seem to have a lot of NOS.

• Like 1

Have you found what would wanted to know?

The Dagger definitely were real war aircraft!

Build in France, arguably as Mirage III spares, introduced as Nesher into the IAF.

First used un the Israeli conflicts (war of attrition, then 1973 war and aftermath) and then a second high profile war over the Falklands/ Malvinas, in less then favourable condition as Dagger.

Retired only several years ago as FInger...

Incredible (Dassault!!) engineering!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Have you found what would wanted to know?

The Dagger definitely were real war aircraft!

Build in France, arguably as Mirage III spares, introduced as Nesher into the IAF.

First used un the Israeli conflicts (war of attrition, then 1973 war and aftermath) and then a second high profile war over the Falklands/ Malvinas, in less then favourable condition as Dagger.

Retired only several years ago as FInger...

Incredible (Dassault!!) engineering!

Got the vol.19 of the book.

Already knew about the V/Nesher history.

Apparently the aircraft in museums that started as Neshers have lots(all?) Parts with Dassault data plates. 

My obsessive impulsiveness now wants the whole lineage....

• Like 2

I have this one:

spacer.png

For my purpose (completing the Neshers' timeline) is more than adequate. Lot of great info and pictures, but is in Spanish, and don't know how easy is to get today. If there is any information you'd like me to check, feel free to ask.

ETA: This is the publisher's web site: https://avialatina.com.ar/producto/dagger-finger/; sadly OOP but it gives an idea about the contents.

Edited by Fukuryu
Info added.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1