Tigercats at Night Grumman F7F-2N and F7F-3N

Part of my Ventura triple build was one from US Marine squadron VMF(N)531 which was formed, trained and went into combat with the same weary PV-1 aircraft. When they were finally relieved in September 1944, they went on to later reform on the Grumman F7F-2N Tigercat. This must have been some change for the personnel who carried over.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235028317-venturas-at-night-459-sqn-1575-sd-flt-vmfn531/

After some discussion of this one of my colleagues kindly gave me enough parts and information to build a Tigercat nightfighter. The bag included the long radar nose, which I soon discovered was only for the later F7F-3N. No problem, we will do both of them. Just get another kit.

Do I have all the bits I need? Yes indeed – a surfeit of Monogram kits, a load of accessories and most of the literature written on the F7F.

51662890667_4fec99419b_h.jpg

51662890652_898c710765_h.jpg

51664572075_e3c6a8866d_h.jpg

A valuable resource is the build here of an F7F by @Navy Bird, who has done much of the thinking about the Monogram kit for me.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234932671-172-monogram-grumman-f7f-3-tigercat/

I see from his build he had a convoluted process to get to the wheel wells so, using his wisdom, I think that’s where I will start. Looking at a built Monogram kit I don’t actually mind the subtle raised panel lines – they are no less realistic than engraved ones so they can stay. The lack of any detail at all in the cockpit and wheel wells however must be addressed.

The upper surface of the wheel well is the upper wing skin so we need to butcher out a void in the lower wing surface to allow the well to fit. That’s a start.

51664572010_47f9e3d3f8_h.jpg

It will look nicer when it is squared up!

• Like 9

Wow, I'm a Tigercat fan. I built the Monogram kit years ago but it has disappeared from my display cabinet!!!

It's still in my opinion a good kit. I'll follow your build with interest.

Colin

• Like 1

Just for comparison sake, here are a couple pics of a pretty much stock, slightly  converted one F7F-3(n).  On this model, the nav lights have been added, the control surfaces articulated, and of course, the Squadron Green Putty nose, along with the modified rear cockpit, and, slightly oversize decals from the spares box:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Above right, the rear canopy was made by sawing out parts of the kit, adding some scrap plastic -- and of course, more green putty -- to make a vacuform master.  Other than antenna and guns, the rest is bone stock, with zero detail in the gear wells, and precious little detail in the cockpits. In the photo above right, the actual canopy master can bee seen sitting on the wing. This model was made 35-40 years ago.

I will be very interested in seeing a "modern" build, with all the after market "goodies", so I'll be watching along also.  God speed!

Ed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, TheRealMrEd said:

here are a couple pics of a pretty much stock, slightly  converted one F7F-3(n).

Wow - I don't see mine being substatially better. That's a very nice F7F-3N

14 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

Are you building two aircraft, the -2N and -3N? Or, three aircraft, a -2N and two -3Ns?

I have three kits butI don't want it to be a marathon like the Venturas so I will do a -2N and a 3N and kep one unmade for later.

Ed, mine is just a standard model, which lately I've head about the nacelles being off, etc., so I think all that stuff would be an improvement.  Plus, there are certainly better decal options now, so gussy it up, and give us all you got!

And, don't sell yourself short. We all learn as we go, not only from ourselves, but each other... I think you may have a little to teach here yourself!

Ed

The rectangles in the wings have been cut out and some wheel wells have been cast . These are pretty basic and will ned the pipes and tanks etc added later.

51664571990_8efe7d3641_h.jpg

They fit in the spaces nicely - maybe a bit tight - and have been positioned before the upper wing is attached.

51662890517_099b4f77af_h.jpg

51662890567_c49f79f66b_h.jpg

Then the upper wing is attached. They were painted beforehand. Just as well I made more than I need because one collapsed under the strain. I thought they might be too tight.

51663927898_6d6ee1ea23_h.jpg

The nacelle halves fit around these boxes and I will attach them after I have done some more detailing.

• Like 4

Gidday Ed, I'm mainly a ship modeler but I have a penchant for the big twin-engined fighters of WW2, my American favorites being the P-38, P-61 and this beast. The Tigercat is the only one of the three I haven't built. Maybe one day  .  .  .    I'm interested in seeing how these turn out. Regards, Jeff.

21 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

The rectangles in the wings have been cut out and some wheel wells have been cast . These are pretty basic and will ned the pipes and tanks etc added later.

51664571990_8efe7d3641_h.jpg

They fit in the spaces nicely - maybe a bit tight - and have been positioned before the upper wing is attached.

51662890517_099b4f77af_h.jpg

51662890567_c49f79f66b_h.jpg

Then the upper wing is attached. They were painted beforehand. Just as well I made more than I need because one collapsed under the strain. I thought they might be too tight.

51663927898_6d6ee1ea23_h.jpg

The nacelle halves fit around these boxes and I will attach them after I have done some more detailing.

Ed, if they don't work out otherwise, you might try sawing off the gear well tops, 2mm or so down the walls so as to preserve the detail.  Then, saw the remaining wall "box" in half the long way,  and thin the two halves where they will fit inside the nacelles.  Then, re-attach the tops, sand off the edges to match, and you should be good to go.  Also, this might make it easier to attach pipes etc. before reassembly.  A lot of work, but if that's your thing, it might be worth a try...

Ed

Test fitting shows that the nacelles will fit over the wheel well boxes. A clamp will help but they should not need any filler.

51687800869_cb0a055c68_h.jpg

51686332997_8fe7240795_h.jpg

I have aded the tanks. The oil tank is often shown as yellow and the water/alcohol tank as blue on restored ones but they appear the same colour as the interior in contemporary pictures.

@Navy Bird replaced the doors - they look awfully thick in this picture but not so bad in reality.

The cutouts in the boxes are for (1) the undecarriage leg mounting points. I think these models, particularly the -3N, will be so heavy that I need decent legs, firmly attached. Test fitting determines they need a lot of lead in the nose or they will be tail sitters like the real ones and (2) the pips that position the nacelle halves correctly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ed Russell said:

... replaced the doors - they look awfully thick in this picture but not so bad in reality.

That's not unusual for 1:72 scale as the photos magnify the parts quite a bit. To be honest, I don't recall why I replaced the gear doors. Probably "because they were there" (i.e. came with the Aires or Starfighter resin set).

Cheers,

Bill

• 2 months later...
On 11/18/2021 at 12:57 PM, Thom216 said:

Nice work on the wheel wells!

Thank you

On 11/18/2021 at 11:21 AM, Navy Bird said:

Probably "because they were there"

Perfectly good reason - I tend to do the same if it's not too much work.

This build has been on temporary hold, waiting in the queue for my time, but, like the Venturas, it will be finished!

• Like 2