Dune

Dave Batt

All I can say is "Cor!".  Having read the original book decades ago always felt let down by the representation of the 'thopters in the film and TV renditions, but this film made it up for me.  It might be overlong (is it meant to be a two or three parter?) but the time is 'wasted' on some very epic panoramas and there's plenty of time left for the drama of the sandworms and the horrors of the Harkonnens and Guild Navigators to be fully explored.

Best fiver I've spent all year.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Despite the amazing visuals (possibly, the best SFX ever?), I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by the new Dune. I can't put a finger on what it lacked, but there's definitely something missing. I think the very abrupt ending really didn't help, though. 

No surprise at all to see no reference to Baron Harkonnen's sexuality - that would have not sat well with a modern audience and would have caused enormous howls of protest (ironically, the ensuing storm would probably have resulted in more people seeing it). 

Let's see if Part Two actually gets made....

Cheers.

Chris.  

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

To me anyway, it seemed like it was another case of visual effects trying to make up for the lack of a coherent storyline

Pretty much the case with the Transformers films, especially the later ones and not to mention Kong vs Godzilla. That film actually made my eyes hurt! 😶

Not seen Dune yet and not in a rush to either to be honest 🤔

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

On the other hand... I thought the new Dune part 1 was excellent. Stunning to look at, faithful to the original's plot, fitted my mental picture of the characters and locations (first read the book aged 12, and several time since), and a really powerful immersive experience on the big screen. Part 2 is already commissioned, so it will get its ending (though not sure where that will be... Herbert always intended Dune and Dune Messiah to be one book, so the true end of the arc is the end of Messiah...)

best,

M.

• Like 3

On 12/4/2021 at 2:32 AM, spruecutter96 said:

Despite the amazing visuals (possibly, the best SFX ever?), I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by the new Dune. I can't put a finger on what it lacked, but there's definitely something missing. 

Yes - it was missing the second half of the book !!

It did however inspire me to go back and re-watch the 1984  Kyle & sandworms vs Sting  effort which I think I enjoyed more...  certainly better paced than the newer version.

• Like 2