WW2 Twins GB Chat

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Whats the most common version of the Ju-88 found in the North African campaign or used to disrupt/attack the Malta convoy’s ? 

Definitely the most common was Ju 88 A-4 or its tropicalized, factory produced variant A-11. They were externally identical. A-5:s were common when the campaign started. In the 1942 Siege of Malta and, say, hunt for the Pedestal convoy it was all A-4's job. V-P

Edit: If one wishes to build almost any Ju 88 A variant from the Mittelmeerraum, it's possible and plausible. I believe the early A-1 variant only saw action at the Balkans, and the occasional A-6 variants had dropped their balloon cutters before heading South but the attachment points were still there. Let's not forget the photo recce variants D-1 and D-2 (and their Trop variants I don't use in calling them) either!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 27/05/2022 at 05:41, vppelt68 said:

Definitely the most common was Ju 88 A-4 or its tropicalized, factory produced variant A-11. They were externally identical. A-5:s were common when the campaign started. In the 1942 Siege of Malta and, say, hunt for the Pedestal convoy it was all A-4's job. V-P

Edit: If one wishes to build almost any Ju 88 A variant from the Mittelmeerraum, it's possible and plausible. I believe the early A-1 variant only saw action at the Balkans, and the occasional A-6 variants had dropped their balloon cutters before heading South but the attachment points were still there. Let's not forget the photo recce variants D-1 and D-2 (and their Trop variants I don't use in calling them) either!

In case you didn't know before, V-P is rather fond of Ju-88s :wink:

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Hi VP

Id be interested in this one. Please add me to the list. 

Thanks 

James 

Done!

This is also yet another possibility for mr. @Rabbit Leader to build a model of one of those nasty Ju 88:s that bombed his Maltese ancestors, we're waiting... :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dear fellow Britmodellers who have already signed in on this one: 

@Adam Poultney @Marklo @JOCKNEY @Johnson @81-er @theplasticsurgeon @Jabba @psdavidson @Potato Pete @DaveyGair @jackroadkill @Andwil @stevehnz @Corsairfoxfouruncle @TonyOD @Arniec @Toryu @sampanzer @modelling minion @franky boy

Would you still stick with this, and support changing the name and widening the scope of this group build proposal to

The Axis&Co. Twins

Eligible subjects would be aircraft used operationally by Germany, Italy, Japan, Finland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia, and Croatia between 1935-1945 (no earlier, no later, no paper planes or prototypes) AND those aircraft were using two propellers (not one, not three, not four, not five, not six, but two propellers) or two jet engines.

Please let me know if you think this is not a good idea. I think altering it would anyway be better than adding a new one. If this would be successful, maybe next year we'd continue with an Allied edition of it :hmmm:. V-P

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Would you still stick with this, and support changing the name and widening the scope of this group build proposal to

The Axis&Co. Twins

No problem for me, I already have the kit and am looking forward to the off next weekend. The wider the scope, the more builds.

Cheers,

I've got no problem with the expanded scope. and I think the Allied Twins is a good idea too. I may have a few (cough) options for both in the stash already

James

Great idea, did the axis ever re-use any captured aircraft ?

Just wondered if this good looking Polish twin could make an appearance:wicked: 

82ce94aa6316b4fdc11053612a2116e9

If not there's lots of Italian twins which come to mind 

Cheers Pat

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Just wondered if this good looking Polish twin could make an appearance:wicked: 

82ce94aa6316b4fdc11053612a2116e9

If not there's lots of Italian twins which come to mind 

Cheers Pat

If it was used operationally by any of the listed nations, then yes. I think that should include use as trainers too, as long as they carried the new owner's insignia.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Dear fellow Britmodellers who have already signed in on this one: 

@Adam Poultney @Marklo @JOCKNEY @Johnson @81-er @theplasticsurgeon @Jabba @psdavidson @Potato Pete @DaveyGair @jackroadkill @Andwil @stevehnz @Corsairfoxfouruncle @TonyOD @Arniec @Toryu @sampanzer @modelling minion @franky boy

The Axis&Co. Twins

Eligible subjects would be aircraft used operationally by Germany, Italy, Japan, Finland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia, and Croatia between 1935-1945 (no earlier, no later, no paper planes or prototypes) AND those aircraft were using two propellers (not one, not three, not four, not five, not six, but two propellers) or two jet engines.

Please let me know if you think this is not a good idea. I think altering it would anyway be better than adding a new one. If this would be successful, maybe next year we'd continue with an Allied edition of it :hmmm:. V-P

Yep,  looking at what's going on in the bunfight - I'll be happy to stick with this for 2024.

Adding this to my list of eligible kits for me to consider.

Revell_Do335A1_Pfeil.jpg

• Like 3

• vppelt68 changed the title to The Axis&Co. Twins (was: Luftwaffe Twins)
2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

They certainly did (though I'm not sure about that Polish brute). I've definitely seen Blenheims in both German & Italian markings, as well as captured P-38's and Mosquito's

James

• Haha 1