WW2 Twins GB Chat

Moderator edit:    This thread may seem a bit confusing.  It is actually three threads merged into one with all the posts in chronological order.  vppelt started off with proposing an Axis twins GB.  81-er followed up with a parallel proposal for Allied twins.  Later on, both proposals were merged.  That's why the thread starts off with Axis aircraft and suddenly starts talking about Allied ones.  Confused?  You will be...   :lol:    I now return you to normal scheduled programming.

EDIT 29.11.2023: The eligibilities summed up!

1) The Axis & Co.

Eligible subjects would be aircraft used operationally by Germany, Italy, Japan, Finland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia, and Croatia between 1935-1945 (no earlier, no later, no paper planes or prototypes) AND those aircraft were using two propellers (not one, not three, not four, not five, not six, but two propellers) or two jet engines.

***Edit 20.8.23: Vichy France subjects are eligible too.***

I know some will protest not having e.g. Ju 52/3m:s, Sparvieros or FW 200:s allowed in this one, but the line must be drawn somewhere. It's here.

So what's left, then? Heavy fighters, jets, reconnaissance planes, torpedo bombers, level bombers, dive bombers and night fighters; serving all the theaters of the WW2 from the Arctic to Africa, Bay of Biscay to River Terek. Several Matchbox kits available, Pat @JOCKNEY 🙂.

Regards, V-P

2) The Allies & Co.

Eligible subjects would be aircraft used operationally by any of the Allied nations between 1935-1945 (no earlier, no later, no paper planes or prototypes) AND those aircraft were using two propellers (not one, not three, not four, not five, not six, but two propellers) or two jet engines. If in doubt, ask.

Heavy fighters, jets, reconnaissance planes, torpedo bombers, level bombers, dive bombers and night fighters; serving all the theatres of the WW2 from the Arctic to Africa, Bay of Biscay to River Terek. You get the idea.

For the eligibility of a country, I think the easiest way to decide this is to refer to the Wikipedia list. Aircraft of former Axis-powers would only be eligible if depicted as they were after those powers had changed sides.

Edit to clarify the position on captured aircraft: If you can prove it was used operationally (not just for testing) in the markings you intend to model within the timeframe, then it's welcome. 

James

End of edit :coolio:

And we edit again:

Trainers and transports... eligible

As summed up on page 19 of this thread:

"...they can be day fighters, night fighters, dive bombers, torpedo bombers, plain bombers, sub killers, pathfinders, reconnaissance planes, transports, flying boats, liaison planes and trainers and... surely something else too!"

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Sign me right up, Do17s and plenty of them.

He177 and Ju288 were only kind of twins right? As per my understanding, they used two Db610 engines which were a pair of coupled Db605s (for a total of 4).

Can't forget Hs129, Ju388, Do215, Do217, He219, Fw189, Do23, He115, Do335, etc. A lot of options for this GB

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Sign me right up, Do17s and plenty of them.

He177 and Ju288 were only kind of twins right? As per my understanding, they used two Db610 engines which were a pair of coupled Db605s (for a total of 4).

Can't forget Hs129, Ju388, Do215, Do217, He219, Fw189, Do23, He115, Do335, etc. A lot of options for this GB

Thank you Adam for pointing these out, I did the initial list quickly! I added these to the opening post (Do:s 215 and 217 were already there) but as far as I know, the Do 335 didn't come operational during the war so it's sofar excluded. Let's hear what the people say about that :wink:. Thank you also for reminding me about the quadruple engine twins - I hope it's now written so that He 177 and Ju 288 would be included.

11 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Do they have to be German built or just used by the Luftwaffe?The Luftwaffe made extensive use of captured French Polish and Italian twins.

A good question, thank you. I think, that in the spirit of the original German medium bomber family STGB proposals we should stick to German manufacturers only. In my opinion they supply enough variety for subjects. V-P 

• Like 1

Hedging my bets in case the Ju-88 or Do-17 GBs don't make the cut this year, but sign me up. Hell, even if they do make the cut, there's enough on my mental "to build" list to well and truly get me involved with this one. I might even have finished the Mustang from the last GB you organised by then... 🤣

James

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Hedging my bets in case the Ju-88 or Do-17 GBs don't make the cut this year, but sign me up. Hell, even if they do make the cut, there's enough on my mental "to build" list to well and truly get me involved with this one. I might even have finished the Mustang from the last GB you organised by then... 🤣

James

I wouldn't give up on the Do17, it's only one behind the P38 and Leopard

Ok last question would it have to be in Luftwaffe colours. I try to avoid builds with ahem tail markings but I don’t like to just omit them so I either find actual overpainted/captured schemes or foreign service ones E.g

resized_2a547603-dea3-4048-8325-36e82139

or

ba35bbc4-2a37-4e57-85ad-dc06f5212450.jpe

I suppose I could find a captured scheme with most of the Luftwaffe markings intact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Ok last question would it have to be in Luftwaffe colours. I try to avoid builds with ahem tail markings but I don’t like to just omit them so I either find actual overpainted/captured schemes or foreign service ones E.g

resized_2a547603-dea3-4048-8325-36e82139

or

ba35bbc4-2a37-4e57-85ad-dc06f5212450.jpe

I suppose I could find a captured scheme with most of the Luftwaffe markings intact.

A number of the night harassment and night fighters painted over markings including the tail cross. So you could always go that route ? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Count me in - with this. 

Revell-He177-A5.jpg

Was just about to ask to add my name with this same kit! 

I also have Me 110's, 210, 410, 262's, Ju-88's, various Dorniers, so plenty of choice.

Count me in.

Davey.

2 minutes ago, DaveyGair said:

Was just about to ask to add my name with this same kit! 

I also have Me 110's, 210, 410, 262's, Ju-88's, various Dorniers, so plenty of choice.

Count me in.

Davey.

The thing is though, the He-177 was 4 engines in reality, separate cranks on a common gearbox, unlike the Avro Manchester which was a common crankshaft.

Is this viable @vppelt68?

Davey.

Good idea V-P, I'll be up for this if one or both current proposals fail to get the necessary votes, for the record I have voted for both, I think. :) It occurred to me that a proposal for Luftwaffe medium bombers would have had merit but this proposal covers that & more.

Steve.

• Like 2

We only need one more on the Do17 to go up into 5th place. We're currently in a three way, tie for 7th. I still want the Do17 one to go ahead. This GB interests me more than that one but there is no guarantee it will make it onto the 2023 GB calendar

Edited by Adam Poultney

8 hours ago, Marklo said:

Ok last question would it have to be in Luftwaffe colours. I try to avoid builds with ahem tail markings but I don’t like to just omit them so I either find actual overpainted/captured schemes or foreign service ones... ...I suppose I could find a captured scheme with most of the Luftwaffe markings intact.

I'm sure a suitable decoration option will find your way before this GB would take place. For the moment, I think this decision could yet be left unanswered?

7 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

The thing is though, the He-177 was 4 engines in reality, separate cranks on a common gearbox, unlike the Avro Manchester which was a common crankshaft.

Is this viable @vppelt68? Davey.

I was reminded of this by Adam in post #2. The eligibility was then changed from two engines to two propellers, to let the Greif and the other such beast in.

I'm glad this has raised this much interest already! V-P

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

A number of the night harassment and night fighters painted over markings including the tail cross. So you could always go that route ? 

I take this as an interest in joining the GB too, Dennis, eh? :winkgrin: V-P