WW2 Twins GB Chat

52 minutes ago, 81-er said:

They certainly did (though I'm not sure about that Polish brute). I've definitely seen Blenheims in both German & Italian markings, as well as captured P-38's and Mosquito's

James

Not to mention ehem 🇫🇮, we first bought and then built more Blenheims on licence. Short and long nose variants, which I've never been at all interested in, to be honest :coolio:. V-P

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Dear fellow Britmodellers who have already signed in on this one: 

@Adam Poultney @Marklo @JOCKNEY @Johnson @81-er @theplasticsurgeon @Jabba @psdavidson @Potato Pete @DaveyGair @jackroadkill @Andwil @stevehnz @Corsairfoxfouruncle @TonyOD @Arniec @Toryu @sampanzer @modelling minion @franky boy

Would you still stick with this, and support changing the name and widening the scope of this group build proposal to

The Axis&Co. Twins

Eligible subjects would be aircraft used operationally by Germany, Italy, Japan, Finland, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Slovakia, and Croatia between 1935-1945 (no earlier, no later, no paper planes or prototypes) AND those aircraft were using two propellers (not one, not three, not four, not five, not six, but two propellers) or two jet engines.

Please let me know if you think this is not a good idea. I think altering it would anyway be better than adding a new one. If this would be successful, maybe next year we'd continue with an Allied edition of it :hmmm:. V-P

Yep, the name change is absolutely fine with me. As said above it brings a lot of interesting subjects into play. 

James

17 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Not to mention ehem 🇫🇮, we first bought and then built more Blenheims on licence. Short and long nose variants, which I've never been at all interested in, to be honest :coolio:. V-P

Of course, how silly of me to forget those! Now if only Airfix would release a Mk IV in 1/48 (or anyone else other than Classic Airframes)

James (possibly the only person who thinks the Mk IV is better looking that the Mk I)

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Of course, how silly of me to forget those! Now if only Airfix would release a Mk IV in 1/48 (or anyone else other than Classic Airframes)

James (possibly the only person who thinks the Mk IV is better looking that the Mk I)

In that case James, the plane in upper left corner should be a treat for you (cockpit view included)! https://ilmavoimamuseo.fi/virtualmuseum/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

I can't understand why they haven't done this, it would surely be popular and would only need a new nose tooling.

I would certainly want one, or two.

🇺🇦

Same here. They obviously had no intention of a IV when they tooled the 1/48 as the nose is part of the fuselage sides, whereas the earlier 1/72 has the nose as a separate section. At least the 1/72 is a decent kit. I'm slightly surprised the aftermarket hasn't produced a conversion (well, not that I can find anyway)

James

• Like 1

As @vppelt68 is proposing the Axis Twins GB, it seems only right that we have the Allied version to go alongside it as well. V-P’s on board with this and did a good job on his description, so I’ll shamelessly use that as the basis for this with a few (obvious) tweaks.

Eligible subjects would be aircraft used operationally by any of the Allied nations between 1935-1945 (no earlier, no later, no paper planes or prototypes) AND those aircraft were using two propellers (not one, not three, not four, not five, not six, but two propellers) or two jet engines. If in doubt, ask.

Heavy fighters, jets, reconnaissance planes, torpedo bombers, level bombers, dive bombers and night fighters; serving all the theatres of the WW2 from the Arctic to Africa, Bay of Biscay to River Terek. You get the idea.

For the eligibility of a country, I think the easiest way to decide this is to refer to the Wikipedia list. Aircraft of former Axis-powers would only be eligible if depicted as they were after those powers had changed sides.

Edit to clarify the position on captured aircraft: If you can prove it was used operationally (not just for testing) in the markings you intend to model within the timeframe, then it's welcome. 

James

1. Myself

2. @vppelt68

3. @TEMPESTMK5

4. @Corsairfoxfouruncle

5. @franky boy

6. @Marklo

7. @CliffB

8. @Andwil

9. @zebra

10. @Rafwaffe

11. @Stefan Buysse

12. @modelling minion

13. @Toryu

14. @ArnoldAmbrose

15. @Thom216

16. @Jabba

17. @Ray S

18. @JOCKNEY

19. @Roland Pulfrew

20. @Romeo Alpha Yankee

21. @JosephLalor

22. @Maginot

23. @Wings unlevel

24. @Wez

25. @DaveyGair

26. @zegeye

27. @Ngantek

28. @reini

29. @TimJ

30. @jackroadkill

31. @Heather Kay

32. @FortyEighter

33. @trickyrich

34. @UberDaveToo

35. @Beardybloke

36. @Zephyr91

37. @wellzy

38. @Mattp7999

39. @2996 Victor

40. @AdrianMF

41. @MRMRL

42. @theplasticsurgeon

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Aircraft of former Axis-powers would only be eligible if depicted as they were after those powers had changed sides.

Wouldn’t that just be Italian post 1943.

Regardless I’ll bite. Would the tiger cat qualify? It first flew. In 1943 but didn’t see active service in WW2?

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the enthusiastic responses everyone :)

14 hours ago, Marklo said:

Wouldn’t that just be Italian post 1943.

Regardless I’ll bite. Would the tiger cat qualify? It first flew. In 1943 but didn’t see active service in WW2?

Italy, Romania, Bulgaria, and Finland. As for the Tigercat, we're really aiming for aircraft that saw active service in WW2. If you can find some evidence that it was deployed to a theatre, I'd say that would count even if it didn't see any fighting.

22 minutes ago, zebra said:

Would trainers and transport aircraft be allowed?

Absolutely, Julian! Just as long as it has two props or two jets, and saw service, then it's in :) 

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1