Piper PA38 Tomahawk 1:72

Was about to do a little more on this today but I've just noticed something else.

cc9DlZL.jpg

The fin seems to be at bit of an angle

I think the leading edge is slightly left of the centreline. but I'm not entirely sure where the problem is. 

Can anyone who has access to a PA38 tell me is the tail is off centreline like it is on a P51 with its 1600HP merlin, if it is it would be the right way around for the massive power of the 112HP Lycoming 0-235

Thinking about cutting the base of the fin upto the rudder hinge line and moving it.

Not sure about this one..

• Like 2

I have many, many hours on the Tomahawk.....

Albeit as non-paying ballast as my best friend did most of his hour building on them. Where have those good times gone!?

As to the offset tail - I have never noticed it as being offset. As an aerodynamicist and scale modeller I am sure I would have noticed that. Also as you stated, for the 100-odd horses installed it is not worth making the tooling to build a non-symetrical tail on the full scale one. My guess is that the offset on your model is an artefact of the resin curing.

R

• Thanks 1

It’s been a good few years for me too since my last Terrahawk hours but my recollection is that it either had a offset tail or the engine was slightly offset to compensate a little for the slipstream effect. Perhaps even both. If I can find my old instructor notes I’ll confirm or deny this suggestion. I found that a surprising number of aircraft both high and low powered had non-symmetrical tails over the years. Most so subtle that you wouldn’t notice unless it was pointed out to you. I’d be very surprised if it would be noticeable in 1/72 scale unless it was something mad like the BV 141! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a bit of research (googling photos) and reading manuals, there is no evidence of the tail being off set.

This picture from the Edinburgh Science and Technology museum shows it being nice and central

RzGbpH5.png

Its only slightly off on the model but looking from above now that the horizontal tail is on it is quite noticeable.

So this evening I have unceremoniously lopped off the tail!

R5kfF89.jpg

Ive drawn the centre line back in then I'll put the tail back on in the right place, once Ive lined the bottom of the tail with some 0.5mm plasticard to replace the material lost in the cutting.

cMFAKWu.jpg

HZAeOc8.png

Enough for tonight

CT

• Like 6

Great to see this kit, I never knew it existed. Was also my first flight training experience - 28 whole hours, courtesy of RAF Air Cadets ☺️ 

Chopping the tail off, though...gutsy move!

How to get the tail back on centrally

When I chopped it off I didn't have a plan of how to get it back on. yes bold move!

Another jig needed, rough mental plan was to have the rear fuselage taper fit in to a corresponding taper in the jig with a fork above the taper for the tail to fit into.

Then I realised I could use Lego at right angles to get everything central with the jig sliding into place guided between two Lego 'rails' 

Pictures are a good way to explain things

This took about 40 min last night to draw out

bsEOPLf.png?1

Its 16mm wide as that is the distance of a double gap in Lego. 

The print took 5hours overnight to make as it is 45mm long and was printed vertically. 

Theory is that as the jig is slid into place pushing the wings into the Lego wall the taper will centralise everything into place. Then just slot the tail on top and wait for the CA to set.

Then I knocked one of the horizontal tails off, duh!

They can go back on later.

qvRIAhJ.jpg

CT

• Like 3
  • Sad 1