Piper PA38 Tomahawk 1:72

Next kit from the stash I think is going to be this Lift here models 1:72 Piper PA38 Terrorhawk

hz0cY6L.jpg?1

Nice box artwork

MbOCFLq.jpg

Hmm I wonder where I've seen those images on the side of the box before ????

This will be my first resin kit although I have done lots of casting and adding resin parts in the past this will be my first full kit

Parts look very well moulded and sharp with a vacformed canopy.

NcFqfPM.jpg

Instructions are a bit basic and the decals look very nice and also sharp but they wont be used, I have other plans for the markings.

Yp0J2dg.jpg

Here is my subject, this is the first aircraft I ever got my grubby mitts on, I did a 30min trial lesson in it from Manchester airport in 1990, then I was hooked and started saving to learn to fly and never had any money since!

1107287-large.jpg

Thats not me by the way.

Its going to be a small model, here it is compared with the model world standard yard stick, a calibrated 1:72 Spitty

IAI8dyv.jpg

But now its time for more wine and TV so will start it in a day or so

Mark

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Nice box artwork

MbOCFLq.jpg

Hmm I wonder where I've seen those images on the side of the box before ????

Some old models or guide-book for modelers. But exactly?... I think I could see these pictures '80s in Poland. So maybe Novo models or polish producer ZTS Plastyk (Yak-1, RWD-5 PZL-37 Los and another) or maybe in these book:

2da394b146318b689a30be3b15da

(Plastic airplanes models building) published 1984 @GrzeM or @hadzi could you help?

Best regards,

Michał

• Like 2

5 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Some old models or guide-book for modelers. But exactly?... I think I could see these pictures '80s in Poland. So maybe Novo models or polish producer ZTS Plastyk (Yak-1, RWD-5 PZL-37 Los and another) or maybe in these book:

(Plastic airplanes models building) published 1984 @GrzeM or @hadzi could you help?

Best regards,

Michał

Sorry it was a sarcastic comment I was making socjo I already knew the answer 🤑 They are from the Novo instruction sheets:-

A4tEfai.png

5 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Those illustrations are from FROG!!!!  Or I could be wrong, but...

Correct 👍

• Like 4

18 hours ago, ianwau said:

Following with interest. I'd really  like a 1/48 version - it seems a bit tiny in 1/72.

Hence my not getting this kit. That, and the fact I'm broke. I'm still excited to follow the build though!

Edited by k5054nz
  • Thanks 1

Bit of a start and glued the wing on and aligned the wing very carefully in the fuselage recess. All looks good tail is vertical but I then noticed the wing is not at a right angle.

nXmHzgC.jpg

When measured it is just 0.85° off but very noticeable, As it was freshly CA'd together it came apart quite easy.

A bit more filing and a Lego jig later the wing is now setting again 

cc9DlZL.jpg

Wingtips are at the same water line or at least within half a mm

IxLg4VH.jpg

vhr3CaR.jpg

tail vertical

W6U03lj.jpg

I think that will do I'll leave it to set, as its nearly lunch time!

Need to clean up the TE on that rudder  I think too.

Mark

• Like 12

Looks lovely Mark, nice catch but I would have expected nothing less from you mate.

As I have a whole 45 minutes of Tommy time in my mental logbook I will enjoy flying down memory lane with you.

It was a lovely little thing to take from the Birmingham airport flying club courtesy of a Birthday Present flight, "hang back 'til that 737 has gotten a bit further away then skip down the runway to the other one"

"OK take her up"

Unforgettable.

• Like 3

I’m enjoying this too CT 👍 I’ve no knowledge of the the P38 at all, but it looks a pretty little aeroplane - and seemingly sits significantly in the logbook of esteemed BM’ers various :D …. Mind you I bet it’s got a ‘orrid yoke thingy instead of a proper control interface :whistle:

Nice work Mark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/8/2021 at 1:50 AM, socjo1 said:

2da394b146318b689a30be3b15da

Best regards,

Michał

You are right, similar drawings were in the manuals of many models from this period, including the ZTS and the included book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, hadzi said:

You are right, similar drawings were in the manuals of many models from this period, including the ZTS and the included book.

I expect that after Frog/Rovex went out of the kit business many users picked up on stealing their graphics.

All those images were in use on the Frog model instructions I built years before the transfer of moulds and copyrights to Russia for Novo to use.

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 8:19 AM, perdu said:

Looks lovely Mark, nice catch but I would have expected nothing less from you mate.

As I have a whole 45 minutes of Tommy time in my mental logbook I will enjoy flying down memory lane with you.

It was a lovely little thing to take from the Birmingham airport flying club courtesy of a Birthday Present flight, "hang back 'til that 737 has gotten a bit further away then skip down the runway to the other one"

"OK take her up"

Unforgettable.

Only sub 20hrs on the Tommy Bomber. I did my IMC rating in one at Welshpool in 1998 and only touched one again once since to do a instructor renewal in 2005

On 11/10/2021 at 3:14 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

I shall enjoy following this, as I learnt to fly on the PA-38.

Nice recovery with the wings and Lego jig!

I'm quite a fan of Pipers, completed the PPL on PA28s

On 11/10/2021 at 8:05 PM, Fritag said:

I’m enjoying this too CT 👍 I’ve no knowledge of the the P38 at all, but it looks a pretty little aeroplane - and seemingly sits significantly in the logbook of esteemed BM’ers various :D …. Mind you I bet it’s got a ‘orrid yoke thingy instead of a proper control interface :whistle:

Nice work Mark.

The only stick on them is to put the flaps up & down, You'll love the elevator trim system, no tab, an adjustable spring instead!

15 hours ago, Maginot said:

That's a neat little jig. Hope it's not copyrighted %~))

No copyright if I don't see it.

I've been trying for a couple of days to get the tail plane on. it just has some small pins moulded in the tail planes that fits in a hole in the top of the tail. I Had no luck getting these either straight or to stay on. something else had to be done.

Now I have a 3D printer I've found it very useful for making jigs for particular jobs very accurately and quickly. 10 mins or so on TinkerCad, set the Printer going crack open a beer and get on with something else. In an hour or two you have a purpose made jig

Also serves my OCD in things being straight. Once I know something isn't right I cant leave it alone and ignore it. so this helps.

So I need something a bit stronger up in the top of that T tail, a bit of brass rod.

Because I cant drill a straight hole to save my life I need...youve guessed it the first jig

jSIR7qR.png?2

Slot the tail in, slot the drill in the hole and turn, the hole is the right place and dead centre top to bottom to. then do the same with the other tail

zFpGGaE.jpg

Yes I know I didnt do a very good job of washing the resin off before it went in the UV curing box. 

2 holes

r28loh2.jpg

And poor focus, but you get the idea.

Brass rod CAed into one tail plane

RmaSKWL.jpg

Which will go through this hole

PLQajyp.jpg

That darn focus again!

Now another jig to keep it all at right angles, this clips onto the tail and has slots for the tail plane.

iukZFCm.png?1

XPVWhA3.jpg

pEhBhR8.jpg

Then slot the other tail plane in and leave it to set

DEEB9JW.jpg

VC4SH92.jpg

All nice and straight and OCD satisfied!

Need to do some filling next, 

I was thinking of trying the 3D printers resin as a filler after reading it being used by @Bertie Psmith Avro Vulcan build (Page9)

Cockpit soon!

CT

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Very tidy solution - and it might fit for aligning tail planes on other models too?

Yes it would, this one would fit most light aircraft, it would be easily adapted for larger tails and angled tails would be very easy too.

Anyway results are much better than the previous attempts to fit this tail

TudyOW7.jpg

Looking like a Traumahawk now! 

• Like 7

That's looking very good... and true. Or true enough. I worked as a technical photographer in a previous life and developed a very keen eye for straight lines, horizontals, verticals and parallels. Aircraft models must be true. Nice solutions fabricating various jigs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1