Morane Saulnier AI parasol 1/72

stevehed

Late on parade as the French Fancy GB co-incided with the High Wing. This one qualifies for either but I get an extra week here. I've got some vac forms that will never be built in the original form. This is the Airframe Bristol M1C, an advanced British WW1 monoplane. I noticed a similarity of fuselage structure with the Morane which is a plane I've had a fancy to try for years. A bit of plastic surgery will be required but if I can get a half decent fuselage I'll be happy to finish the rest. This will involve a scratch wing from card, wing struts, complete tail unit and undercarriage and wheels. A spare cowling from an Eduard Nieuport should fit and I've got some rotary engines in the spares.

13QWDh8.jpg
8w2rakz.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Gentlemen. Made a start by cutting out the fuselage halves. I had to reduce the width a bit and it can be seen that they weren't a good match. Combination of a little warpage and overenthusiastic filing I think. Shouldn't be a problem as a mix of filler and camouflage paint will hide my sins hopefully.

CKSnfA8.jpg
G9eIrKG.jpg

• Like 5

f9IEdg5.jpg

Have got the fuselage joined so now I can start working on it. I chopped 0.25 ins, 7mm, off the rear end. This was replaced with a cone shape cut from a modern drop tank. It was wider then the tail section so filler was added and then gently blended with a dremel sanding wheel. The cockpit is too far forward so I cut out a section 0.75ins, 20mm. This will allow me to add some basic cockpit detail. The cowling is part of the vac form Bristol fuselage so that has been removed too. The replacement cowling is 0.25ins deep. The open front allowed me to position a cockpit floor and some formers to support the upper decking, a remnant from a Strutter, and an upright to widen the forward fuselage. I have a fuel tank/seat combo from the Airfix BE2c spare which I'll use. Pierre le pilote will hide any indiscretions.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

y8dmDuP.jpg
0xhlVeh.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to finish in time as life and work have been getting in the way. Progress has been made as the wing has been cut from card and I've achieved a passable fuselage. Cowling came from a EE Strutter and the engine and prop are from a white metal Aeroclub rotary. Sadly one of a diminishing supply. Elevators were shaped from a spare from the Revell Sopwith Triplane and the Vickers from a Roden Nieuport 24. If I can get the cabane struts sorted there's a sporting bet I can make for tomorrow night. Fingers crossed.

• Like 4