Avro RJ-85 Brussels Airlines. Revell 1:144

Avro RJ-85 Brussels Airlines

Revell 1:144 with Draw Decals

rj70_2.jpg

This RJ series of airliners are now disappearing from the skies, but  were a common sight for a good few years from the 1980's to the 2000's. It started out as the Hawker Siddeley 146, before evolving into the Avro RJ-70, 85, and 100.

This is the now hard to find Revell kit, which makes into a very nice little model, apart from a very fiddly main undercarriage. (I broke mine twice during construction). Decals are from Drawdecal and behaved impeccably as always. I spent a few months in 2009 travelling to and from Manchester to Brussels in these, when the day job had me working on a project in Maastricht.  I recently realised that more than 10 years has elapsed so I'd better crack on and get the kit built!

Anyway, I finished it a few weeks ago, so here it is,:

rj70_1.jpg

rj70_3.jpg

rj70_4.jpg

rj70_5.jpg

rj70_6.jpg

Thanks for looking,

John

• Like 42
  • Thanks 1

Very neat

A friend of mine was a First Officer on the 146 with Brussels around that time so He may well have flown you.

I have this kit in the stash and intend to complete it as a Logan Air example as I flew in G-OLCB in the late 80s, Had a few trips in G-MIMA to and from the Isle of Man also.

Mark

• Like 1

Lovely job as always John. It's a nice coincidence that you built the Avro RJ and I built the Sukhoi SSJ which was supposed to replace it but didn't quite manage!

Like Alex I miss the Avros particularly the BA RJs which used to do the EDI-LCY run. A westbound take-off from LCY was always fun, particularly if the load was light. The Embraers which replaced them are quieter and less cramped but bland and lacking in character by comparison.

Dave G

• Like 3

Thanks all for the nice comments!

On 07/11/2021 at 22:32, Cheshiretaurus said:

Very neat

A friend of mine was a First Officer on the 146 with Brussels around that time so He may well have flown you.

Mark

There is a good possibility Mark! it would be interesting to find out but I guess we will never know.

On 08/11/2021 at 07:44, Ryan Hothersall said:

Nice build. 

photographed that aircraft during a trip to Manchester in 2009. 

BrusselsRJ85-OO-DJV-2

I love this photo Ryan, I could have done with it during the build. Thanks for posting

Cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

Very nice RJ John!

I used to fly the RJ-100 and have this kit in the stash. I wonder if it is easy to stretch...?

Thanks Matt!

Want to stretch/shrink this kit? You'll need two 146-200/RJ-85 kits but end up with 2 models, a 146-100 and -300 in more detail here

146-9.jpg

Dave Swindell did some beautiful drawings to show what to do, follow the link in my link above (if you see what I mean!)

Cheers

John