Tamiya 1/72 Kawasaki Ki-61-Id Hien (Tony), 19th Sentai, Luzon in the Philippines, 1945

1 hour ago, Jay Gee said:

That is some brilliant work right there. Well done.

How do the SMS paints go? Are they a good colour match? I'm looking at getting some. 

Many thanks. The SMS colours are brilliant and Scott has quite the range now covering IJN, Luftwaffe, RAAF, RAF & USN armour. Even so they mix really well so it's pretty easy to mix your own shade. They go on smooth and dry very quick, it's my go to for pretty much everything now. 

• Thanks 1

Can't add to what the others have said, but I totally agree! As for what to do next, wait for Tamiya to do a 1/72 Ki-44- especially as you have obviously mastered the bare metal/blotch scheme... but it's such a tiny little spud!

Mike

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Can't add to what the others have said, but I totally agree! As for what to do next, wait for Tamiya to do a 1/72 Ki-44- especially as you have obviously mastered the bare metal/blotch scheme... but it's such a tiny little spud!

Mike

Many thanks. Well as it happens I have done a 1/72 Ki-44, the old Hasegawa one, which I finished while I was building the Tony. Haven't put any pics up yet but might have to upload it as well

IMG_3930

• Like 2

Well, shut my mouth! Very nice Ki-44, and you nailed the metal tones! The old Hasegawa Ki-43, Ki-44, Ki-61, Ki-84, and J2M were all very nice kits- accurate shape and dimensions, very good fit, but let down by poor interiors, and in most vases, too shallow wheel bays; all easily corrected. In the Tojo's case, that doggone cockpit opening is so small, you can't see any detailing you put in there except maybe the seat and gun sight!

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Volksjager

a little earlier I expressed the wish that the Tamiya 1/72 Hien in my stash would look somewhere near to yours.

I decided, inpired by your build, to have a start on the hasegawa kit in the stash.  All went well until I started to remove a thick sprue stem on the wing leading edge with a swann morton no, 11, when - whoosh!

a prt of the leading edge itself disappeared with the sprue stem.

I did however manage to fix it like so with perfect plastic putty;

SAM_0346

I am determined to give this - and the Tamiya Tony in the stash my best shot - aided by tips gleaned from your build!

Incidentally, no fingertips were harmed during the inadvertent removal of too much plastic ..... 🙂

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Whofan said:

@Volksjager

a little earlier I expressed the wish that the Tamiya 1/72 Hien in my stash would look somewhere near to yours.

I decided, inpired by your build, to have a start on the hasegawa kit in the stash.  All went well until I started to remove a thick sprue stem on the wing leading edge with a swann morton no, 11, when - whoosh!

a prt of the leading edge itself disappeared with the sprue stem.

I did however manage to fix it like so with perfect plastic putty;

SAM_0346

I am determined to give this - and the Tamiya Tony in the stash my best shot - aided by tips gleaned from your build!

Incidentally, no fingertips were harmed during the inadvertent removal of too much plastic ..... 🙂

Nice repair and well done in not trimming your fingers down in the process! I am sure your Tony's will turn looking great but if you need any help just ask. I am building a Hasegawa Ki-100 in 1/48 at the moment and I am finding the Hasegawa kit pretty good actually. The build thread is over in the work in progress section.

• Thanks 1

Awesome job with the paint work. I always find these builds too late but one note that I would like to add that may be of use to builders of both 1/72 and 1/48 kits by Tamiya. The blue oxygen regulator on the right wall is actually an American one used on a captured Ki.61. A photo can be seen in "Monogram Close-Up 14 - Japanese Aircraft Interiors Part 1." The caption reads, "....This captured TONY was flown by American pilots for evaluations. For this purpose an American made oxygen system was installed and all instruments and gauges were marked in English...." Tamiya probably used the photo for a reference.

• Like 1

Absolutely superb

The finish is amazing

One question after you spray the silver and apply the masking fluid and then apply the camo over the top of that....how do you best remove the masking fluid to expose the silver underneath?

• Like 1

Thanks for the positive words guys, glad to hear other like what I do

1 hour ago, Winenut said:

Absolutely superb

The finish is amazing

One question after you spray the silver and apply the masking fluid and then apply the camo over the top of that....how do you best remove the masking fluid to expose the silver underneath?

So I use a couple of methods. I find it come off pretty well with the friction of my finger so I give it a rub, only large surfaces of course. I also find a small, cut down brush to work well at tougher places though if you push to hard it will scratch. Probably the best method is the rubber brushes. You can get a variety of shapes that get into everywhere and I can usually get all bits away with these while there is little to no worry about scratching the surface 

1 hour ago, Ed Russell said:

That's a really nice job. I am impressed it was done in 3 weeks. It's more than 3 times better than my 1 week one. Those drop tanks are a modeller's quandary - blue, green, yellow, metal?

Your build is great on an old kit like that. These worn surfaces are hard to do and I think your method works just as well. Nick Millman is a godsend when it comes to colours and I have been in touch with him for a few of my previous kits. I also like the aircraft you represented. I had seen that photo and loved the look, just never have been able to find a decal set with that tail insignia when I was building this Tony.

The Drop tanks were so hard to choose a colour for and I agree with the colour you picked for your. The Ki-100 I am building now is pretty much the same as that. I settled on the blue as it was good contrast with the green but I think they work well enough 

• Like 1