Best free antivirus software?

Seahawk

I've been a contented user of AVG's free anti-virus software for some time now.  However it seems that AVG plan to turf me out in the new few days unless I go over to a paid version.  Interesting: I hadn't realised that my usage was time-bounded.  Anyway, what's the current view from those of you who know about such things on the current best free but effective anti-virus software?  I seem to remember Avast being mentioned some time back but the world may have moved on.

10 hours ago, Seahawk said:

However it seems that AVG plan to turf me out in the new few days unless I go over to a paid version.

There's two 'versions' of AVG free. The truely free version for non-commercial use which is a cut down version, and the trial version which is the full blow version but time limited (2 months springs to mind) and intended to demonstrate the features you're 'missing' out on. What can happen is that during the installation of a version update the notification box has an option to use the trial version. If this is not unticked you get the time limited trial.

I'd uninstall AVG and re-install the free version. Keep an eye on any check boxes that appear. Worked for me everytime I've been caught out.

• Thanks 1

Hi

I swapped to avast, a couple of years ago after avg suggested i remove a file from my notepad

unknown to me it was an essential file i couldnt replace =  paperweight

luckily it was only a very old acer notepad 

cheers

jerty

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Thanks 1

Just had a pop up saying my free version was due to expire in 12 days and warning that i needed to upgrade.

On clicking the upgrade button was offered the paid version, bright bold flashy text, or the free version subdued thin white text.  Opted for the free verson.

Offered a 50% discount on standard price, again selected the free version. - confirmed the free vesion fo the next 12 months.

It's only Marketing trying to get you to use the paid version.

It's been the same since the day's of shareware and will alway's be.

p.s. I always keep the free version of Malwarebytes installed as well. It's reputedly more effective in finding/removing infections but the free version can only run on demand and not continually in the background.

• Like 1

Your earlier explanation made a lot of sense to me, so I was planning to do as you said: deinstall and reinstall AVG, with Avast as fallback if necessary.  However, in the last few days AVG has gone quiet again: maybe they've fixed the software glitch or just realised their clever money-making wheeze won't work on me.

Thanks to everyone for your advice and experience.

I've not bothered with 3rd party AV solutions since 2015 or so and went full Microshill.

Only Defender here. 
Granted, my line of work may have something to do with that decision, having experienced the utter drivel that is AV solutions from established names.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I've not bothered with 3rd party AV solutions since 2015 or so and went full Microshill.

Only Defender here. 
Granted, my line of work may have something to do with that decision, having experienced the utter drivel that is AV solutions from established names.

Ditto. Not been caught out once by anything either. Granted, I am fairly tech savvy, don't accept any dodgy looking emails, don't click on any unknown links etc, stick to known & recognised websites and can recognise most scam/phishing emails when they drop into my inbox. I've had one or two false positives from defender, but that's quickly taken care of by uploading the file to them and they add it to the database of known exceptions!

• Like 1

On 09/11/2021 at 20:32, alt-92 said:

Only Defender here. 

Yes me too, got rid of Mac, Norton, AGV you name it, all of which cause more issues than they solve.  My system runs faster and I've had no issues whatsoever for about 5 yrs or so.  It's also free.     

Edited by Kev The Modeller