Quick nostalgia build - Monogram 1/48 Bf-109G-10

Hi everyone - i've recently been on a bit of a 'nostalgia bent', and decided to pull this one out of the stash, with the aim of a relatively quick and easy build:

dOOEt5G.jpg

This is the Monogram kit of the Bf-109G-10 variant, released by Monogram around 1991 and reboxed in the above boxing circa 1992/1993. 

rngEa8y.jpg

This kit traces its origins back to the Revell release of 1978 (indeed you can still find this release available today; Revell has been releasing this kit on and off again, most recently in 2016). The kit still holds up well today; it has generally accurate lines, recessed panels, is an easy build, and passes quite nicely for a 109G-10. It is also far less complex and far cheaper than the contemporary Eduard kit.

I picked this one up for somewhere around $5-10 at a swap and sell some years back. I picked this boxing because I have very vivid memories of buying this boxing as a kid, getting my hands on the dark green plastic, and building the kit in a hurry. Whilst I don't remember how I painted it, I do remember re-painting it a year or two later in a blotchy 'Africa' scheme, similar to that painted on 109Es (totally not accurate... but hey, I was maybe 13 years old, so accuracy wasn't a real focus back then). No idea what happened to it, but pretty sure it didn't survive the 'Cancian turkey shoot' in the backyard some time later... ahem. 

Anywhoo... in any case, this one is another nostalgia build for me. First up, one notices some elements that need addressing:

wOukWvF.jpg

The cockpit needed some attention. The kit canopy is surprisingly clear, so I decided to upgrade the kit cockpit, which is pretty light on. I had some old bits and bobs in the spares box from some 109 cockpit sets; one floor piece and sidewall from (I think) the Aires 109G-6 cockpit, and another from I think an old Hi-Tech resin set from again, I think, a G-6. Not going for accuracy, I decided that these would do; the sidewalls were quickly sanded back and the resin bits added. The kit has its control surfaces modelled in the neutral position. I decided to at least cut and reposition the rudder and elevators. I managed to find a spare resin rudder (no idea who produced it) which fit the kit and was a bit nicer than the kit rudder, so this will do also.

rUlrUtZ.jpg
GpJtMeE.jpg

yDxh8Eo.jpg

And after a few etched additions and some paint (the shoulder harnesses will go on towards the end of the build):

W20r0Fd.jpgwRlvX8P.jpg
zqdvFcW.jpgriWxCIP.jpg
ZfxBvO4.jpgGiaV9Y7.jpg
3RGzNsw.jpgx07h15x.jpg

The fuselage is also now together and cleaned up, remembering to re-scribe the panel lines that run down the centreline of the aircraft. The fit here was quite good. I added a set of quickboost exhaust pipes which will look lovely once painted up.

M1V9jeG.jpg

I've made a start on the wings, where I find another Revell advertisement :)

oleoYzv.jpg

The wings are moulded with the flaps and radiator cooling flaps moulded in the neutral position. A bit of time and patience with a razor saw sorted these out; I cut them and repositioned them to a more dynamic look (most photos of 109s on the ground show these flaps deployed / drooped). I won't be doing anything with the ailerons, or the slats (probably not correct for a 109 on the ground, but oh well).

ujwxibE.jpg

A dry fit suggests the wings will fit quite nicely to the fuselage, once I get there.

Cheers!

BC 

• Like 13

Really liking this build, Brad. A heads up: the wing suffers from FWS (Flat Wing Syndrome). I have taped the upper wing to the lower and using the inboard edge and a guide, heavily scribed a trench into the lower wing. you can then simply bend it up to the proper angle.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all - Slow progress due to work and family taking up most of my time lately, but she at least looks like a plane now:

FkS5p7v.jpg

The fit was quite good, and only minimal clean up was needed for the wing attachment. No filler was needed, save a small dab under the rear fuselage attachment. Not bad for an old kit. I did shave a little off the upper wing halves to get the right dihedral (thanks for the tips folks!) I also added some mesh to the otherwise empty radiators:

pqdwKSH.jpg

Next was the canopy, which started like this:

VuqeBBi.jpg

I tried my hand at using Tamiya polishing compounds for the first time, and it came up quite well after polish and a dip in future:

949PokL.jpg

Bk3pGkr.jpg

I might have to leave the canopy open as the thickness still distorts things a bit. In any case, good enough for this build, me thinks.

Cheers,

BC

• Like 5

Good work so far- looks the business "au naturale".  To date, this is the only 109 I've ever built, though there are some others I've got "good intentions" about, and I'd probably be shocked to see how many are in my stash- not to say THAT many for an enthusiast...

• 3 weeks later...

I've now sprayed some national markings. I also had a go at masking and spraying the aircraft number.

NHhmoMn.jpg
EGC4yoO.jpg
jlg13QI.jpg
D4Fv6PO.jpg

TAuDXWF.jpg

Still needs a couple of minor touch ups but good enough. Next up, a clear coat and decals, before I start getting into some weathering.

tNKPVdu.jpg

Cheers,

BC

Edited by Brad Cancian
  • Like 9

Thanks again Greg :)

Interested in any other feedback - I don't generally do too many WW2 axis subjects. Is the shading too much? Not enough? Are the colours wrong (I went with the colours from some Eduard instructions)?

Any other comments / criticisms welcomed!

Cheers,

BC

That’s coming along beautifully for such an old kit Brad. Looks good from here too, however you know the Luftwaffe is not my pet subject so any of my colour comments wont be of much use. From what Boris has mentioned, these late war German paints could be almost anything so drop him a text and see what he thinks? 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks DFK! I might drop him a line. I followed the instructions from Eduard's 109G-10 kit 82161 and used their Gunze paint callouts. The grey looks a bit pink and the green a bit light to my eye compared to the instructions, but that's based on nothing whatsoever :)

Oh, by the way, doing this scheme (also in the Eduard kit):

aMo6pKf.jpg

Cheers again,

BC

The colours look fine to me and the shading is really a personal artistic/stylistic choice (yours is regardless very nicely executed).  The only thing that jumps out at me are the fuselage and under wing markings; do you have a reference for early style crosses rather than the late war simplified style?

Thanks Mark! Here's the full Eduard instructions, with the black underwing crosses:

vfmTib1.jpg

I think the fuselage crosses came up darker as I applied the paint a bit thicker here. Would you recommend I go back and re-do these ones?

Cheers,

BC

• Like 1

Hi Brad;

Looks fine to me, weather them in the same way as the rest of your weathering plan and I think they’ll look great.

I just spent 20min looking for the reference photo for Eduard’s profile but was unsuccessful.  I did find their source though, a reputable publication, and many of the RLA 109’s seemed to have the earlier style markings so I’ve learned something this morning :)

Small progress but progress none the less... Stencils are on, and first round of panel line shading done (a simple mix of black / brown sprayed around the panel lines). Next is exhaust staining, then i'll clear coat and start playing with oil washes. 

8OoNol4.jpg

z4rQC9J.jpg

9pl4olz.jpg

This is probably as far as i'll get before the new year as we hit the road for Christmas shortly... didn't quite get it done before we left but them's the breaks....!

Cheers!

BC 

• Like 4