Call to the BM beehive about FEAF Tempests !!

corsaircorp

Hello Dames an Gents,

Well, I'm toying with Eduard and SH Tempest, one is done...

But I paid a visit to my friend @BS103 and he showed me this one....

IMG_20211106_012445

And the p&aint scheme flashed in my mind....

Knowing that Xtreadecals is generally reliable and well documented.... but...

PRU blue undersides ?? No objections ???

Sailor's paint faded EDSG No more objections ???

I think that our friend @tonyot

No worries Tony, This one is already on its way...

IMG_20211106_012423

And the Eduard offering have a more conventional offering...

IMG_20211106_012501

If I got a confirmation about the PRU one, I'll do that one...:dog::dog:

You both know my immoderate taste for unusual paint scheme...

I'm sick as hell that I cannot be in SMW with you guys !!

Da..... Quarantine....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2

PRU Blue undersides may seem strange if we think of the wartime Tempest scheme, but it is nothing strange if we consider the postwar schemes: a scheme with upper surfaces in Dark Green and Dark Sea Grey and undersurfaces in PRU Blue was introduced in 1951 for two cathegories of aircraft: long range fighters and short range fighters of the "tactical air forces".

The "tactical air forces" included 2 TAF in Germany but also FEAF, to which this tempest belonged (the term SEA was dropped earlier and FEAF introduced in 1949)... and IIRC the Tempests were considered long range fighters, so this was the scheme supposed to be used from 1951 on these aircraft.

Now the "problem" is that 33 Sqn converted to the DH Hornet in that same year, so it's not sure if they actually repainted all their aircraft (before 1951 they would have been painted aluminum), PR771 seems to have been one of the repainted ones.

Speaking of this scheme, it may look strange on a Tempest but it is the same scheme applied to the Sabre in Germany, many Hornets and the Venom FBs, so it is not an unusual scheme

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Grazie mile Giorgio !

I knew about that scheme in Germany....

Thanks for the tip about FEAF... I'll change it right now...

It can be read as a Sea Tempest...😁

Sincerely.

CC

• corsaircorp changed the title to Call to the BM beehive about FEAF Tempests !!

When I made this aircraft, Chris Thomas said:

"Just to put 33 Sqn's markings in context - their Tempests were shipped out to Malaya as deck cargo and photos show most were still in the wartime Day Fighter Scheme but at least a couple were in the new all-Aluminium scheme. Soon after arrival the camouflaged Tempests were repainted in what the ORB describes as the 'new tropical scheme' but was in fact the Aluminium DFS. Just before conversion to Hornets the Tempests were repainted again in the Long Range DFS, DG/DSG/PRUB, but photos indicate that this task was not completed. Some Tempests appear in camouflage but with silver nose cowlings, either swapped from other aircraft or not yet painted. Unfortunately no serials/codes are visible."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dark Sea Grey mate,...... not EDSG.  Beard has the chronology correct, as is Giorgio.

The new Eduard release of the Tempest Mk.II,..... just out,..... includes the later scheme on the box art. 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EDK82125?result-token=RllHZ

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

Dark Sea Grey mate,...... not EDSG.  Beard has the chronology correct, as is Giorgio.

The new Eduard release of the Tempest Mk.II,..... just out,..... includes the later scheme on the box art. 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/EDK82125?result-token=RllHZ

Thanks Tony,

I also have a German floatplane....

That will be painted in Bomber Command Scheme.....

I suppose that you already have built that one ??

10 hours ago, Beard said:

When I made this aircraft, Chris Thomas said:

"Just to put 33 Sqn's markings in context - their Tempests were shipped out to Malaya as deck cargo and photos show most were still in the wartime Day Fighter Scheme but at least a couple were in the new all-Aluminium scheme. Soon after arrival the camouflaged Tempests were repainted in what the ORB describes as the 'new tropical scheme' but was in fact the Aluminium DFS. Just before conversion to Hornets the Tempests were repainted again in the Long Range DFS, DG/DSG/PRUB, but photos indicate that this task was not completed. Some Tempests appear in camouflage but with silver nose cowlings, either swapped from other aircraft or not yet painted. Unfortunately no serials/codes are visible."

Thanks for the tip Beard !!

Help is greatly appreciated... PRU blue it will be :cheers:

IMG_20211105_164456

Sincerely.

CC