Eduard 1/48 Tempest Mk.V - Feline destruction rescue - Bad kitty!

I Started this almost two years ago and it was going well until the resident feline decided to jump on top of it, ....twice. Lucky for me I don't clean off my desk very often and 18 months later, all the parts were found and repaired, to the best of my ability. I decided to try my hand at weathering a model for the first time. I've done minor weathering before but this was meant to be an effort to make it noticeable to others, and then my lack of photography skill seems to have bleached out most of it. Anyway I hope it is worthy of this site.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 51
  • Thanks 2

Looks very nice. And the smart weathering is okay. Planes are no tanks, and the responsible mechanic will do anything to keep it clean. The momently weathering hype is a little bit too much. Of course there are planes wich had faded colours and so on, but but if it’s overdone it looks silly.

Keep on rocking 

Andy 

• Thanks 1

The secret, especially without a reference to follow, is stopping right before it is "too much". Congratulations for carrying on and remedying the catastrophe (see what I did there?). Excellent restoration!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Looks fine to me. Is that a cat's whisker for an aerial? (Seriously! They make excellent whip aerials)

I tried that, turns out the cat is much faster and much more of a biter than I am, so I settled for stretched sprue.🤕

15 minutes ago, Nachtwulf said:

I tried that, turns out the cat is much faster and much more of a biter than I am, so I settled for stretched sprue.🤕

Haha. My cat used to be fierce too but his whiskers would fall out on their own from time to time. I'd find them and save them. Their great advantage over stretched sprue is their flexibility, which would survive my careless handling.

• Like 1

Excellent Tempest, and all the more so since there seem to be no traces of the kitty romp!

I like the exhaust pipes! They look very convincing – a far cry from the all too usual, overall orange "rust" fallacy.

Weathering is an art form. The basic secret is observation – studying lots of photos and, if feasible, real aircraft, to get a sense of cause > effect and which areas are prone to get used, and showing it. Such as frequently handled panels and fasteners, walkways (which look convincing on your Tempest!), underwing dirt from the wheels, oil leaks, changed or repaired parts with a slightly different tone, et cetera.

As Bonehammer points out, less is more. It shouldn't really stand out as "weathering" but just convey a sense of 'life'. All IMHO, of course…

I'd say you're very much on the right track already. Nice model!

I gather that the camo scheme should be standard European Dk Green and Ocean Grey? Perhaps it's the lighting that makes it look more like a light grey/khaki desert scheme?

Whatever, it's a very presentable Tempest!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Excellent Tempest, and all the more so since there seem to be no traces of the kitty romp!

I like the exhaust pipes! They look very convincing – a far cry from the all too usual, overall orange "rust" fallacy.

Weathering is an art form. The basic secret is observation – studying lots of photos and, if feasible, real aircraft, to get a sense of cause > effect and which areas are prone to get used, and showing it. Such as frequently handled panels and fasteners, walkways (which look convincing on your Tempest!), underwing dirt from the wheels, oil leaks, changed or repaired parts with a slightly different tone, et cetera.

As Bonehammer points out, less is more. It shouldn't really stand out as "weathering" but just convey a sense of 'life'. All IMHO, of course…

I'd say you're very much on the right track already. Nice model!

I gather that the camo scheme should be standard European Dk Green and Ocean Grey? Perhaps it's the lighting that makes it look more like a light grey/khaki desert scheme?

Whatever, it's a very presentable Tempest!

Kind regards,

Joachim

I was shocked at how much of the weathering disappears depending on lighting. The colors are out of whack due to camera exposure.

• Like 1

Hallo

Wonderful! But, here I noticed one thing, I also can not get it right untill now. 

The camo outline is so pin sharp, with masks.

I am working on a solution to get it more soften, sprayborder of about 1 mm or 1,5 mm depending on scale.

Vertical displacement helps, the mask is slightly vertical displaced from the surface.

Happy modelling

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dov said:

Hallo

Wonderful! But, here I noticed one thing, I also can not get it right untill now. 

The camo outline is so pin sharp, with masks.

I am working on a solution to get it more soften, sprayborder of about 1 mm or 1,5 mm depending on scale.

Vertical displacement helps, the mask is slightly vertical displaced from the surface.

Happy modelling

I agree, I could have softened up the edges just a bit. I didn't notice until it was way too late.:banghead:

Yes, I had the same issue with my Mossie.

Never again!

Camo mask, whatever you work with, elevate it for 1mm vertical.

Use Tamiya tabe rolled for instance.

Between mask and surface.

I will do so on my Do-17, which I start in a few weeks.

Happy modelling

• Thanks 1