SAS Pink Panther - Tamiya or Italeri

FZ6

I have the urge to build an SAS Pink Panther Land Rover and was wondering which was the best one I remember the Italeri one wasn't bad when I built it years ago but was wondering if the Tamiya one was any better or should I pick up another Italeri one?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Considering it's age (1970s moulds), the Tamiya Pinkie is still a nice kit out of the box. Of the two, it would be my preference but that's entirely personal - others may disagree. The radio fit dates it to the 1970s as it is a Larkspur set rather a later Clansman set-up.

There are various aftermarket sets available but I would study photos of genuine Pinkies rather than rely on the accuracy of those sets. Some of the Pinkies seen (and photographed) at MV shows are not genuine. I believe there are more Pinkies on the show circuit than were ever built - some of those are openly described as replicas but others are not. If nothing else, I would replace the wheels with a set of resin items from Hussar Productions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice John,

I'll give the Tamiya one a go and thanks for the tip on the Hussar Productions wheels, I'd not heard of them before.

This link has some interesting photos of one that has come up for sale as well as a youtube video with photos of them in theatre so will be a useful link

https://silodrome.com/sas-land-rover-pink-panther-pinkie/

I think at this time, the only set I was considering is the Eduard one and either making up my own stowage or using stuff from the stash but have now ordered those wheels as well.

Thanks again,

Mark

I’d go for the Tamiya version to .. as John says check your reference.. I’ve got a couple of original parts from one .. they broke some up to return the Land Rovers to other use ..and a pile of parts lay in the MT yard so I borrowed a couple of bits ..

• Thanks 1

If the Italeri kit is based on their other Land Rover soft-top kit then there are a number of inaccuracies to be corrected.  As said above, the Tamiya kit is still OK. 

I would echo the comment about Hussar wheels - but they will cost you twice as much as the kit at that price - and also suggest Live Resin GPMGs.  Legend have a resin stowage set for each kit as well as sets of period bergens and SLRs.  The Italeri Modern Light Weapons set has SLRs, Sterlings and M16s.  The Dragon modern MG set has L4 LMGs, the Tahk resin ones being long OOP.

Whichever you choose, current colour references on preserved or replica vehicles are untrustworthy.  Here is a preserved vehicle at Hereford in excellent condition.  Note non-desert tyres.  The outside has been repainted but you can see the original much lighter colour under the open bonnet.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2021 at 5:38 PM, bootneck said:

Hi Mark,

Kingkit currently has a Tamiya one for sale at £10.99

cheers,

Mike

Thanks Mike,

I picked up a Tamiya one  from Jadlam for a pound more with free postage. I've also ordered the Hussar Wheels.

On 11/6/2021 at 10:19 PM, Das Abteilung said:

I would echo the comment about Hussar wheels - but they will cost you twice as much as the kit at that price - and also suggest Live Resin GPMGs.

I've ordered the Hussar Wheels. I love the live resin stuff but bought some accurate Armour GPMG.s which also look very good so could use those.

I've also been looking at some nice seated figures from AC Models but am also considering some resin standing ones from Tank but they only seem to be available in Australia at the moment.

I'll also have to look at the Italeri modern light weapons set as well.

Thanks,

Mark

On 11/8/2021 at 7:45 PM, Das Abteilung said:

You can get Tahk and Live Resin direct from the manufacturer in Russia here.  https://models-hobby.com/

I've bought from them several times and found them trustworthy.  Of course there may be Customs entanglements with any source outside the UK.

Cheers for the recommendation, I've placed an order with them. The Land Rover has arrived now and doesn't look a bad kit for its age so look forward to building it