Hasegawa 1/72 Grumman EA-6B Prowler ECM Aircraft

hsr

This is my build of the Hasegawa 1/72 Grumman EA-6B Prowler ECM aircraft. The EA-6B is a stretched 4 seat version of the A-6 Intruder. The EA-6B was used by both the US Navy, Marines, and USAF until replaced by the EA-18G Growler and retired in 2019.

This is your typical late '80s Hasegawa kit with mostly good fit a simple interior and in this case tinted canopies. The tinting is correct for the main canopies but is incorrect for the wind screen which should be clear. I replace the interior with a nice well fitting Aires resin one. Unfortunately with the tinting you really can't see much, nut it is there.

My boxing was an older Minicraft-Hasegawa one and the decals were not usable  due to aging. I originally planned on doing  the '60s gray over white paint scheme so I first got an appropriate set of CTA decals (#31). But then after construction was completed I decided I would rather use the later 3 color gray scheme. I ordered the Wolfpak 72-074 set from Fantasy Printshop hoping it would make it to the US by the time I was finished painting and I was ready for them. I also ordered the PrintScale 72073 and 72395 sets as a backup. I don't like using PrintScale decals because I find they are so thin (yes that is supposed to be a good thing) that they become distorted just getting them off the paper and then the stick like glue to the first place they are applied. This makes them impossible to position without them rolling up into a useless ball. But they arrived in just a week. I decided to try the 72073 sheet in the hopes it might be usable. I tested applying the tail serial number which I knew would be the most difficult and it was just an exercise in frustration. :fraidnot:So I waited for the Wolfpak set to arrive, and waited, and waited. After 4 weeks waiting and still not getting them I got the idea; what if I gave the PrintScale decals a coat of MicroScale Decal Film?:idea: That should give them enough body to keep them from distorting. So I gave that a try and it worked! I was able to apply then without any scrunching, distortion or silvering. So if anyone is having the same issue with PrintScale decals (I also have this problem with Sword decals, although they seem to be better in their latest kits) try coating them with decal film.

So after all that here it is.

sTHmyHTx_o.jpg

0jqz9QbX_o.jpg

20K9Z5sC_o.jpg

sJvTOJ1K_o.jpg

kEfvQk10_o.jpg

yhNo518o_o.jpg

Next up is a TH-57A using the Matchbox OH-58 kit and the M&E conversion. I started this while waiting for the Wolfpak decals so it is almost done.

Enjoy

• Like 21

22 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Thanks for the tip about the Microscale Decal Film which I hadn't even heard of before.

It's also good for old cracked decals. It keeps them from falling apart in the water

Thanks

3 hours ago, hsr said:

The stuff comes in very handy

I've used it on old decals before, even made a couple of small decals with it but hadn't really thought to use it as a matter of course on some of the ones with a reputation for being overly thin. I guess Techmod & Propagteam would be two others that come to mind as being fussy at times. Come to think of it, I did use it on the remainder of a sheet of Propagteam decals on a Smer Mustang a couple of years ago (BC?) when the under wing invasion stripes just rolled up & sniggered as they did so. The rest worked well after that. Must be getting forgetful. :(

Steve.

• Haha 1