BOAC Concorde Airfix Vintage Classic kit 1/144

The first Airfix kit of the Concorde appeared around 1967/68 and represented an early drawing/prototype.

Earlier this year,this kit got a rerelease from Airfix in their "Vintage Classics" series.

Its the same mould as it was,with a wonderful newly printed BOAC decal sheet,that includes windows and frames and offers also the option of painting the blue cheatline.

An option I was happy to have,because I somehow doubted that the blue elements would conform seamlessly to the front part.

The cheatline was airbrushed with Tamyia Royal Blue,which was a perfect match to the decal.

The fit of the parts was in places not very good and many parts had a surprising amount of flash.

I built it mostly OOB,I only added the middle walls to the engine fronts as the kit provides none.

The whole model was sprayed with Gunze white primer which was polished and gloss coated with Gunze Premium Gloss varnish.

The decals are of top quality and fit perfectly.

Some details were added from leftover Concorde decals that I had in my spares.

Its a pity that the Concorde never appeared in the BOAC livery.It suits the aircraft very well and adds to its elegance.

Cheers

Alex

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 36
  • Thanks 2

Lovely build of a lovely aircraft. 👍

I say you can never have too many Concordes. I am currently knocking out three of them. Two are original boxings (Air France and BOAC) that I am doing as per their artworks and the third I am doing as the actual BAC Prototype G-BSST.

Dave

• Like 1

Nicely done. I'm currently building another one of these, in this livery. I did have problems with the nose decal and had to sand it off and airbrush it instead. I'm going with grey under surfaces for the Cunard livery.

:goodjob:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Nicely done Alex - very well presented.

I remember being given an original of that kit,  in Air France livery, around the time of the maiden flight.  Long since gone.

Thank you very much

2 hours ago, neilg said:

I saw this in the shop on Tuesday but decided to pass on it.

After seeing how good it looks built in the BOAC livery, I am changing my mind!

It looks really smart!

Thank you very much.I say,go for it.Despite its age its a nice kit

2 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks really good and BOAC colours are nice. I think I need to pick one of these too. 

Thank you very much

2 hours ago, F-32 said:

Love that, looks super cool!

Thank you very much

2 hours ago, TonyW said:

Drop dead gorgeous. So clean and beautifully finished.

Thank you very much

2 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

The same as TonyW fantastic build,another livery i love is the Singapore/British....

Thank you very much.I built the Singapore/British version a few years ago.

Exept the original Prototype colors,I guess I built every livery so far

2 hours ago, davecov said:

Lovely build of a lovely aircraft. 👍

I say you can never have too many Concordes. I am currently knocking out three of them. Two are original boxings (Air France and BOAC) that I am doing as per their artworks and the third I am doing as the actual BAC Prototype G-BSST.

Dave

Thank you.Thats true.I recently finished the original AF boxing OOB.Had to fettle and trick with the old decals though.But it came out well in the end.

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

That is stunning. I bought two of these a few months ago. One will be in prototype markings but the other will most definitely be in these BOAC colours.

Thank you very much

57 minutes ago, Ratch said:

Nicely done. I'm currently building another one of these, in this livery. I did have problems with the nose decal and had to sand it off and airbrush it instead. I'm going with grey under surfaces for the Cunard livery.

:goodjob:

Thank you very much.

Thats what I had feared when I saw the blue decals.

The Cunard version is also nice,hope to see it here some day ?

• Like 2

Lovely model - very well done!.

I always thought a "What If" Concorde in BEA Red Square colours would be interesting, with the red wing panels. There probably wouldn't have been time to get to supersonic speeds with the short haul routes BEA had but it would have been an interesting scheme.

Cheers, Andy

• Thanks 1

Excellent build on this kit.  G-BOAC will always be my Concorde, as on 18 October 2003 I flew on her from JFK to London on one of the aircraft's last flights before she was withdrawn from service.  A superb finish.    Robin.   

• Thanks 1

Excellent as always Alex. It's unusual to see a model of Concorde with the nose up and the visor in place. It really shows the wonderful streamlining of the original.

Any time I see a model I think back to 1974/75 when I lived in Oban on the west coast of Scotland and regularly heard the sonic boom from Concorde's flight testing. It's incredible to think that the first prototype of such a futuristic aircraft took to the skies in 1969.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Excellent as always Alex. It's unusual to see a model of Concorde with the nose up and the visor in place. It really shows the wonderful streamlining of the original.

Any time I see a model I think back to 1974/75 when I lived in Oban on the west coast of Scotland and regularly heard the sonic boom from Concorde's flight testing. It's incredible to think that the first prototype of such a futuristic aircraft took to the skies in 1969.

Dave G

Thank you very much Dave.

Its indeed a very special aircraft with a timeless design.

50 years since its first flight and now almost 20 years since its retirement...how the time flies.

I remember when this kit first came out, a bit out of my pocket money range. It looks lovely in BOAC livery, and as you say, a shame it never wore it in service.

Cheers

John 

• Thanks 1