RV/KP MiG-23 1/72 - am I missing something?

RidgeRunner

Hi chaps!

Am I missing something or is this a moulding fault. It is the same both of my two KP/RV MiG-23s :(. It is the dent ahead of the coaming.

Flogger1

Thanks in advance,

Martin

PS : did you have this on your build, Dragan? @dragan_mig31

Giorgio @Giorgio N I think you built one of these? any ideas? 

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Am I missing something or is this a moulding fault. It is the same both of my two KP/RV MiG-23s :(. It is the dent ahead of the coaming.

I found sprue shots from the KP version Martin, which I think are the same moulds? Looking at those, and the instructions, it looks like there should be a sprue gate attached there, so I reckon it's possibly a fault?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kovozavody-prost-jov-kpm0070-mig-23mld--1010883

Terry

Martin,

First off, I'm no authority on modern Soviet weenie cookers; secondly, I'm no fan of the Mig-23, but I am a great fan of yours, so here's what I have found out after looking at photos of the real thing and kit reviews.

At first I thought that there might be a piece that attaches to that dished area for what I think were called Odd Rods antennas, but after looking at sprue shots for the RV and KP kits, I don't see that possibility.

Looking at build and review videos for both kits, as well as the photos of the Res-IM resin correction set 72001 for the Mig-23 that shows the nose section of a finished kit, I think what you have is a damaged mold, and since it looks like KP and RV shared the molds, maybe at some point the mold was damaged? If you look at kit reviews/sprue shots that show the  forward fuselage halves, there is no depression visible in those halves. Betting  earlier releases/boxings do not have that issue.

Here's a review for the Res-IM resin mudguard for the RV Mig-23 that shows that section of your klt that is damaged- looks pretty clean and smooth in the photo.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2013/reviews/accessories/resim7208reviewmd_1.htm

See Dragan's build of the RV kit- you might try to flag him to see if he had the same issue with his kit. (I forget his BM username.)

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/311268-172-rvaircraft-mig-23bn/

Doesn't help fix or explain your issue, and it seemed to me  that the depression looked almost too clean and symmetrical to be a damaged mold, but I think that's what you're looking at- at least in my very uneducated opinion. (See, you should stick to F-101's and F-105's!) :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2021 at 3:52 PM, 72modeler said:

etting  earlier releases/boxings do not have that issue.

Yes they do!! :( It is clearly an injector and mould issue. Thanks Mike and everyone else for your help. 

By the way, my Flogger is now in WIP