Scottish nationals 2022 UPDATE

fallmonk

• 2 weeks later...

Less than 2 weeks to go until the return of the Scottish National Scale Model Show in Perth. I'm starting to get excited and terrified in equal measures, it's been so long since we did a show it feels like getting ready for our first ever show all over again!

Anyhow the pricing gun has had a new ink cartridge fitted (I'd hadn't bothered labelling any stock in the last 2 years so now have hundreds of kits to do before the show!), the card reader has been replaced with a swanky new one and the preorders for collection at the show are starting to come in so hopefully we will be all set for kickoff.

If you are at the show come around and say "hello", we might even have some Jaffa cakes to share out!

Duncan B

• Like 5

Our new card reader is turning into a fiasco as Shopify made the sleekit move of ticking the "send to collection point" option on the UPS portal despite us paying for and selecting "deliver to our address". As a result, it's been stuck in stupid places with increasingly irate correspondence back and forth culminating with "Shopify is for webstores. We are a webstore. We have a UPS account too. We use the same portal. You're either lying or incompetent. You checked the box to make your postage a bit cheaper and that's not what we paid you for. Yes you can do something about it. No we're not driving to the collection point to get it. Sort it out you shower of cretins". So hopefully we have a card reader ...

We're going to be a bit light of some stock too. Fair warning.

• Sad 3

17 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

Our new card reader is turning into a fiasco as Shopify made the sleekit move of ticking the "send to collection point" option on the UPS portal despite us paying for and selecting "deliver to our address". As a result, it's been stuck in stupid places with increasingly irate correspondence back and forth culminating with "Shopify is for webstores. We are a webstore. We have a UPS account too. We use the same portal. You're either lying or incompetent. You checked the box to make your postage a bit cheaper and that's not what we paid you for. Yes you can do something about it. No we're not driving to the collection point to get it. Sort it out you shower of cretins". So hopefully we have a card reader ...

We're going to be a bit light of some stock too. Fair warning.

I opted to go for a card reader from another Supplier. I wasn't impressed that Shopify basically killed off the card reader I purchased from them without any warning. Got a better deal on transaction rates too so that's bonus. Hopefully it will actually work in Perth, it's been so long I can't remember what the mobile signal is like in the Dewar Centre!

DB

• Like 1

I'm getting excited by my first trip back to Perth since 2019 too. Really looking forward to it. Can't believe it's been so long since the last show.

• Like 1

I'm excited too!! This will be my first show of any kit modelling type genre.

Ill get my plastic card ready for swiping and I may even take some of that paper stuff too 🤔.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PlasticUtopia said:

I may even take some of that paper stuff too 🤔.

Good idea! This'll be my first trip to Perth but at other modelling shows I've been to, I've found that some vendors are quite keen on the folding stuff. Whether that's changed since lockdown is another matter of course.

Craig.

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

quite keen on the folding stuff

Folding stuff 🤣

Yes, I think kit will be a marvellous weekend

23 hours ago, PlasticUtopia said:

I'm excited too!! This will be my first show of any kit modelling type genre.

Ill get my plastic card ready for swiping and I may even take some of that paper stuff too 🤔.

Ooh, that's fighting talk 🤣

20 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Good idea! This'll be my first trip to Perth but at other modelling shows I've been to, I've found that some vendors are quite keen on the folding stuff. Whether that's changed since lockdown is another matter of course.

Craig.

After lockdown I think we'll be happy to take cash, cards, buttons and Jaffa cakes (actually we were happy to take Jaffa cakes before lockdown!).

Whatever you bring I hope you both have a good time at the show.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Duncan B said:

After lockdown I think we'll be happy to take cash, cards, buttons and Jaffa cakes

🤣🤣

Oooo, I have just looked at the webpage for the Scottish National Scale Model Show and they now have updated their Exhibitors, demonstrators and Traders list

Click Here

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Craig.

You'll need the folding stuff for the 'Swappie' - a Perth tradition and not to be missed!

Looking forward to being there as well

SD

• Like 1

I have a question for veterans of this show, what’s the parking like at and around the Dewar center? I was originally intending giving my newly acquired senior railcard a good work out and traveling up by train (I even had the mad notion of testing my equally recently acquired free bus pass but realised I’d have to set off on Thursday to get there in time) but with all those traders and the kit swap, it might be handy to have the car nearby. Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks,

Craig. 

44 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I have a question for veterans of this show, what’s the parking like at and around the Dewar center? I was originally intending giving my newly acquired senior railcard a good work out and traveling up by train (I even had the mad notion of testing my equally recently acquired free bus pass but realised I’d have to set off on Thursday to get there in time) but with all those traders and the kit swap, it might be handy to have the car nearby. Any thoughts? Recommendations?

Thanks,

Craig. 

Parking is much better now we normally use the underground area they have barriers now so having to pay means the none centre users look to go elsewhere information on costs are on the website on the link above.

So looking forward to the weekend now it’s been far to long since we were able to display as Washington Model Club.

beefy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I hope you guys have a spiffing time. Now please offer good advice about getting our branch up to Perth next year. I can understand them not wanting to go to France even though the show is getting bigger Milton Keynes is too far for a day. 

16 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Thanks,

Craig. 

As Beefy said there is parking at the centre but it is also used by the very busy Leisure Centre right next door so can get busy at the weekends, albeit there is a regular turnover of spaces. If you are fit enough to spend all day walking around a model show and want to use your railcard the train station isn't that far away, maybe a 10 minute walk. The weather forecast is good so train/walking is an option if you are up for it.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Parking is much better now we normally use the underground area they have barriers now so having to pay means the none centre users look to go elsewhere information on costs are on the website on the link above.

So looking forward to the weekend now it’s been far to long since we were able to display as Washington Model Club.

beefy

1 hour ago, Duncan B said:

As Beefy said there is parking at the centre but it is also used by the very busy Leisure Centre right next door so can get busy at the weekends, albeit there is a regular turnover of spaces. If you are fit enough to spend all day walking around a model show and want to use your railcard the train station isn't that far away, maybe a 10 minute walk. The weather forecast is good so train/walking is an option if you are up for it.

Duncan B

Thanks Beefy and Duncan. I've been to the Dewar centre a few times for model railway exhibitions so I'm familiar with the walk from the station. I just thought the car might be handy for the vast amounts of stuff I'm anticipating buying. Of course, having said that, I'll probably come away from the show with a tin of paint and a new blade for my modelling knife. 

Craig.

• Haha 4

Was wondering whether or not to travel down this year , usual accomplice not able to attend , wife did not want a day out in Perth , didn't fancy the approx hour and a half drive each way on my own and potential parking issues when I got there , had not thought about the train until I saw it mentioned above.

£17.70 return (should get an OAP railcard at some point) , 53 minute journey , allowing for getting from and back to the station (walk is a bit far so will get a taxi for my multiple decrepitudes ) will give me approx 3.5 hours at the show which would be about normal for me.

Downside no photography at Scone Airport while I am down that far and no McDonald's stops at Forfar on the way there and back. 

I come up from Ayrshire and I always take the train. The Dewars Centre is round the corner from the station so it is easy just to chill out and not have to worry about driving.

Posted (edited)

I'll be there, we're just outside Perth now. First model show for me as well, the missus is trying to convince me to enter some stuff in the competition..... which I might ^^

Edited by Ravnos
  • Like 1

Hope all the first timers enjoy the show and don't get too carried away with the spending.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Just make sure you leave something for me to buy on Sunday. Not too expensive though.

BTW, I hope I can chat to some fellow Britmodellers and I should be easy to spot as I will have my white ATF shirt on (like this one when I was with the sadly-missed Darrell Burge at SMW 2019).

Dave

Edited by davecov
Added link to picture
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, davecov said:

Just make sure you leave something for me to buy on Sunday.

Sorry , just back home , cleared the place out !!!

Joking , lots to see , lots to buy and my wife has expressed surprise that I am only back with one Aldi 'Bag For Life' full (minus price stickers obviously).

• Haha 3