1/48 Kinetic Fouga Magister, Finnish Air Force +++Finished+++

Bjorn

Finally, I have finished my French GB entry, and can switch focus to this GB that is really suited for me! And as always, I have changed plans, so to my own surprise, my first entry will be this one:

51656596104_a6d88ede4e_c.jpg

Looking at the sprues gives a slight dizzy feeling, but you don't need new glasses; the box contains two kits. I will focus on the Finnish one, but maybe I will build a French one at the same time. We'll see. I am still waiting for Kuivalainen decals to arrive from Finland, but I hope to start this weekend.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 7

Hej Björn,

If you want to be accurate note that Valmet-manufactured Fougas (FM-21 to FM-82)  had similar wider ailerons which were used also in Luftwaffe Magisters. Also radios might be different than the kit which I'm not familiar. In any case they were once changed in Finland so what is visible under fixed rear part of the canopy changed also.

Mvh.

AaCee

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 6:59 AM, Bjorn said:

Looking at the sprues gives a slight dizzy feeling, but you don't need new glasses; the box contains two kits.

I did wonder about that until seeing the mention of two kits on the box top :lol:

• Haha 1

I started as usual with the cockpit. Black (almost) all over. The decal sheet had no instrument panel decals, so I used some dials from left-over decal sheets:

51670036585_ba2058382b_c.jpg

I decided to build both kits simultaneously. At least the first steps, so although only one of them is of interest for this GB, you have to cope with both of them for a while - sice I have not decided yet which one that will be Finnish. :) In an Airfix Model World review I read that the canopy was too shallow. However, I discovered that the real problem is that the cockpit is too wide. So i had to remove almost 2 mm of it (them) to get a proper canopy fit. The nose gear construction was also a little fiddly (I forgot to take a photo of it, but it was a little too close to the real thing...). Apart from that, fit was okay, and pretty soon I had reached this stage:

51670036620_0ba10559fe_c.jpg

Then came the worst part so far: The air brake inserts. I decided to make the air brakes closed, since they almost always are on a parked Magister. But the closed-position inserts on the wings were too small, so lots of work was necessary. I really hate air brakes - kit designers often make them possible to display in an open position although they seldom are - which only causes problems for us builders since fit often is bad.

On the contrary, the wings had a good fit and nose was somewhat inbetween them. And here we are now:

51668358632_cddf352ca3_c.jpg

• Like 7

Thanks! I removed it from the cockpit itself, maybe it  was more like 1,5 mm, it is hard to say. I dry-fitted the body halves, the cockpit and the closed canopy and removed plastic until I got a decent fit. It was fairly easy to see when I was finished - apart from that the canopy dit fit then, I did not have to use violence to close the body halves anymore.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

wow what a start.....and almost finished and I just about missed the lot!

Looks like you're having a bit of fun with them in places, be all seems to be going nicely.

You're right with the manufacturers...... control surfaces that usually droop of hang when power off are always seem to be moulded close with no easy way to open, and one meant to be up are down won't go up without major surgery!!! Same goes for if you want the U/c up!!! :wall:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My Carlsberg-Spitfire is finished, so it's about time to pick up this one again. Only a few days left of the GB, so I'd better focus on the Finnish one, leaving the French to 2022. 

And finally, these arrived:

51768595132_bac88cef19_c.jpg

This Monday, I spent an hour pre-shading it:

51769418371_e9b5495d4a_c.jpg

I realised that I had to speed up the process compared to a normal build... So yesterday I spent five hours on painting, decals and wash. And here she is now:

51770065549_3413b936b1_c.jpg

Decals were nice, but very thin. So with a little luck, I managed to apply all without destroying them. The decal sheet was for an early Magister, number FM-65 with dayglow areas, but I preferred a later one. With more luck, I found a perfect "4" in my decal spares box. Early Finnish roundels had no black outline, but I had a sheet of late-style roundels.

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Extremely nice work Bjorn, she's looking fantastic.

No need to worry too much as there's an extra 2 weeks for the GB now.

Ah! Thanks x 2!!! 😃 Well, then I can build another one... 😅

Edited by Bjorn
  • Haha 2

On 12/24/2021 at 4:46 AM, Bjorn said:

Ah! Thanks x 2!!! 😃 Well, then I can build another one... 😅

I heard that!!!! :D

The pre-shading has worked a treat, that finish looks nice and realistic, well done.

Now don't enjoy the Christmas & New Year too much as you have a model to finish! :whip:

Merry Christmas

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

And so it is finished! The final step (apart from adding landing gears etc.) was to scratch-build a few details on the canopies. Kinetic kits can be challenging, and this one had its issues, but mostly it was a nice build.

51810245648_f8ac1bda86_c.jpg

Edited by Bjorn
  • Like 7

• Bjorn changed the title to 1/48 Kinetic Fouga Magister, Finnish Air Force +++Finished+++

very nicely done, she looks fantastic!

Getting a nice and realistic NMF is not the easiest thing to do at all (NMF's scare me!!!!), but it just looks so right, well done.

Again it was a real pleasure to have you along and to follow the build.

• Thanks 1