Airfix quality control

airfixpeter

Time for a grumble I could rant and rave but I have the 1/24 hurricane from the mystery box and so far I have been missing one half of a aileron and three mismouided parts so tomorrow they will get a phone call. 

And here are the said parts those with experience should easily find the mismouided bits. 

Come on airfix get your act together. spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Confused 1
  • Sad 7

Even more reason to source an original 1970’s moulded kit and invest in a set of AM decals. That’s just woeful and you should honestly get a complete new / perfect kit after having to go through that horrific experience. 

Cheers and good luck.. Dave 

19 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

hat’s just woeful and you should honestly get a complete new / perfect kit after having to go through that

I will be on the phone first thing as all ready I had two spares any more and they might think I am pulling a fast one. 

21 minutes ago, stringbag said:

Gone are the days when a letter sent to Haldane Place would result in a replacement part dropping through the letter box by return.

So much for progress.

Chris.

Email them, provide the number and a photo if they're feeling stroppy, and the part turns up 2 days later. I prefer that to 'the good old days'. But it works only if they have any in stock, and they seem to keep a much smaller inventory than they did a couple of decades ago under the previous ownership but one.  And short shots really do happen far too often.

FWIW, I had an identical short shot to that in the first photo in one I bought 20 years ago, so getting an older kit isn't a guarantee of soundness.

Paul.

"Airfix quality control" is becoming poor these days. Regrettably short shot components are becoming the norm rather than a rarity and it seems to have started once they moved production to India. However some of the problem must lie in the UK factory where they are boxed. Doesn't the QA department there check a sample of the mouldings before packing? If they did, then we might not see so many complaints.

On 11/4/2021 at 10:59 PM, Paul Thompson said:

Email them, provide the number and a photo if they're feeling stroppy, and the part turns up 2 days later. I prefer that to 'the good old days'. But it works only if they have any in stock, and they seem to keep a much smaller inventory than they did a couple of decades ago under the previous ownership but one.  And short shots really do happen far too often.

FWIW, I had an identical short shot to that in the first photo in one I bought 20 years ago, so getting an older kit isn't a guarantee of soundness.

Paul.

I've done that on more than one occasion Paul.  Even followed up with phone calls.  Jumped through all their hoops and still no luck.  All I get is the standard e-mail telling me they have no spare parts available. A poor show when the kit in question is current.

I get the impression that it's easier for them to simply give a stock answer in the negative rather than organise a more efficient spare parts service.

This of course, is only my experience with the current company.  Others may have better luck.

All the best.

Chris.

9 hours ago, stringbag said:

I've done that on more than one occasion Paul.  Even followed up with phone calls.  Jumped through all their hoops and still no luck.  All I get is the standard e-mail telling me they have no spare parts available. A poor show when the kit in question is current.

I get the impression that it's easier for them to simply give a stock answer in the negative rather than organise a more efficient spare parts service.

This of course, is only my experience with the current company.  Others may have better luck.

All the best.

Chris.

TBH I disagree with one point - I think they really do have too few spare parts, rather than fobbing you off. The latter would be guaranteed to hit them in the wallet eventually. What I think happens is that the spares stocking level  is set low on the presumption that any specific product won't require more than a certain level of support. The problem being that their (the bean counters) world view doesn't anticipate a major problem with a particular kit, so when one comes along with high levels of in this case short shots needing replacements, they're not there.  It's only recently that I've had to start looking for little numbers and take photos, which suggests that someone somewhere is beginning to take note that demand exceeds supply, but that they're taking the, for them, cheaper route of more thoroughly checking the legitimacy of the complaint rather than improving whatever part of the production process it is that's at fault.

Sorry for the long-winded reply but I'm waiting for paint to dry - idle hands and all that....

Paul.

• Like 1

I've had a couple of issues recently and have found Airfix's spares service to be very effective.  If you need to make a request for a spare part it helps speed things up if you quote the numbers on the small sticker on the back of (or sometimes inside the lid of) the box in your initial contact.  This can cut out a bit of backwards and forwards and get your part to you more quickly.

spacer.png

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Paul Thompson said:

The problem being that their (the bean counters) world view doesn't anticipate a major problem with a particular kit, so when one comes along with high levels of in this case short shots needing replacements, they're not there.

One vague hope from the rocketing global shipping costs, that it the economics of getting them moulded in the UK maybe viable again, 

There were comments about the projected price of the new Vampire kit, and comments that global shipping had risen fivefold, 

they were getting their 1/48th P-40B moulded at Plastech in Newhaven,  and the Quickbuild range is still moulded there I think

http://www.plastch.com/case-studies/hornby-hobbies-airfix-quickbuild/

Not sure why that stopped, costs again,  though you can get to Newhaven from Margate fairly easily to see what the problem is....  rather than finding your kit batch from India has a significant error problem, and you don't have enough spares....   and if it's same bits short shot, the only way to get spares is an entire new tree....

re Plastech

"Jamie Buchanan, Senior Development Manager at Hornby Hobbies, explains how Plastech has helped Hornby develop the Airfix QuickBuild range:

“Plastech has supported us in the production of the Airfix QuickBuild range for the past three years. Initially, they assisted us in the production and tool making of our Aircraft range of models, now we consider them as a manufacturing partner. Plastech’s enthusiasm for our products shines through. With their assistance, we have been able to make improvements, not only to the product design and build, but also to the unit cost of the models.”

“Their expertise means they are able to give us guidance from a manufacturing perspective, not just on model functionality. By working out the easiest way to produce the model, it makes the unit cost cheaper. We will be working with Plastech to expand the 2016 range, from design and pre-production to manufacture.”"

The quickbuild stuff obviously has to fit  precisely , and it a tougher grade of plastic.   The current grade of plastic Airfix uses is both rubbery and brittle,  though I think the P-40 B was a better plastic (I'm not about to go digging mine out to check though) . 

Slightly off topic but perhaps a possible sliver lining to to a recurring problem? 

Hi

First thoughts was april 1st

airfix & QC

😂

i personally only buy airfix when there are no other options,

i have had to many issues in the recent past 

cheers

jerry 

This is all about Airfix putting up pressure on a company, which is doing sprues for them, in maintaining a proper quality control of their product.

You have time to inject plastic, cure, remove & there should be somebody, to check if it is OK.

That last bit is non existent in Airfix contract with manufacturer. Or they don't enforce it. I can't say, why. It is against normal business behavior!

Your sells suffer, your name getting down the drain, your "support" overheating with requests for replacements of those bad bits.

And all for "what you do, we will take" approach by Airfix.

As I said, I got Tiger Moth, and I'm happy with it.

All the rest I leave for fanboys and grannies buying kits for "little Steven"

Thank you, if you read through my rant 😀

Zig

• Like 4

I try to avoid the brand whenever possible, BUT if "needs must" I will always open the box in the shop and inspect the sprues before heading home.

As the saying goes... "you can't complain about Airfix quality control..."*

* it dosen't exist!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 4:53 AM, zigster said:

Or they don't enforce it. I can't say, why. It is against normal business behavior!

How would you enforce that, from the Head office in Margate or from home, with travelling restrictions and unknown measures locally in India?

I mean: it's not like you can just drop in unannounced ;)

15 hours ago, alt-92 said:

How would you enforce that, from the Head office in Margate or from home, with travelling restrictions and unknown measures locally in India?

I mean: it's not like you can just drop in unannounced ;)

Quite easily @alt-92, there really is a need for a Hornby office in India, meaning whoever is doing the job is on site. Alternatively move production back to the UK, they proved it can be done and more importantly, it works/worked, certainly as far as production of the Victor was concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that QC should improve. 
I do however have my doubts it is all that easy as some of you assert - after all, if it was that easy it'd be done by now.

10 minutes ago, PhoenixII said:

Alternatively move production back to the UK, they proved it can be done 

That will come at a cost again, and no guarantees it's perfect from the start. We have plenty of members on here griping about price increases, already.

• Like 1