Hawker Tornado to Sea Fury 2023 GB Proposal

Rob S

OK one more needed so if the next Person in Australia signs up I'll personally send them either a Typhoon, Tempest, or Sea Fury Kit (1:72 of course) of my choice. 

How's that? 

And then we are in the Bunfight already! 

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Just realised I have a 1/144 tempest V and typhoon in the stash so already sort of sorted if the GB goes ahead.

They will be great to see. 

Any chance you might have another Tempest that you could convert to a Sea Fury in this scale?  (A little bit like I did to a Matchbox Tempest II in 1:72.) 

One of the first Scale Models magazines I bought myself (instead of Mum or Dad buying it for me) had an article in it on converting the 1:144 Typhoon to a Tornado.  No photos though of the completed conversion which I found very strange, 

OK to keep this one moving along and “alive” over the next few months even though we have already qualified for the “Bunfight” I’ll make the same Offer for the 40th person to sign up that I did for the 30th. 

Who said Bribery can’t get you anywhere?  Well hopefully it’ll get us a whole list of Tornado / Typhoon /Tempest / Sea Fury Ofiles that will make a successful GB if we get through the “Bunfight”. 

Edited by Rob S
Spelling
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

To quote Mr Burns :

"Excellent!"

("I wonder how many in a Carton?" says the person who preordered and bought a carton of 1:72 Airfix TSR-2s when they came out!) 

Now all we need is for them to downsize their Sea Fury and this GB should be a real winner! 

• 2 weeks later...

I do apologise but I seem to be a bit previous with this one.   My usual plan for such a groupbuild is to build a selection of models.  However this discussion seems to have kicked me off into a Tempest frenzy.  I am already building the new Airfix Tempest as well as a Tempest II in the Matchbox Classic GB.  I have plans to build a succession of Tempests throughout the rest of the year as well as three different Tempest prototypes in the forthcoming Prototypes GB.

So where does that leave me for this GB?

Well...   I have the Special Hobby 1/32 Tempest II Hi-Tech kit in The Stash. :thumbsup:   

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I have been researching Typhoons  At first glance it seemed to me that there was not much scope for Typhoons.  There was the Mk Ia with twelve machine guns and the Mk 1b with 20mm cannons.  The later Ib aircraft had four bladed props and Tempest-style tailplanes.  The Ia and early Ib aircraft had "car door" style canopies.  But that's it, right?

Wrong!    It turns out that Typhoons were a lot more complicated than they initially seem.  The "car door" canopy had three distinct variants: one had a solid fairing at the rear.  From late 1942 all aircraft had a modified rear fuselage with strengthening plates. From early 1944 aircraft were modified with a four-bladed prop and Tempest tailpanes. 

Some aircraft had unshrouded cannons.  When Typhoons started operating from rough airfields on the continent, they had to be equipped with air filters.  There were three different types, one of which involved a fitting a fairing on the aircraft's belly.  Even the rocket rails changed. Mostly they were Mk.I rails made from steel.  From December 1944 they were replaced by Mk III rails made from aluminium which looked significantly different.

And don't get me started on the different aerial fits.  That way lies madness.  :frantic: 

Edit:  and don't forget about two different types of engine exhausts!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I have been researching Typhoons  At first glance it seemed to me that there was not much scope for Typhoons.  There was the Mk Ia with twelve machine guns and the Mk 1b with 20mm cannons.  The later Ib aircraft had four bladed props and Tempest-style tailplanes.  The Ia and early Ib aircraft had "car door" style canopies.  But that's it, right?

Wrong!    It turns out that Typhoons were a lot more complicated than they initially seem.  The "car door" canopy had three distinct variants: one had a solid fairing at the rear.  From late 1942 all aircraft had a modified rear fuselage with strengthening plates. From early 1944 aircraft were modified with a four-bladed prop and Tempest tailpanes. 

Some aircraft had unshrouded cannons.  When Typhoons started operating from rough airfields on the continent, they had to be equipped with air filters.  There were three different types, one of which involved a fitting a fairing on the aircraft's belly.  Even the rocket rails changed. Mostly they were Mk.I rails made from steel.  From December 1944 they were replaced by Mk III rails made from aluminium which looked significantly different.

And don't get me started on the different aerial fits.  That way lies madness.  :frantic: 

If I could find another Car door Id consider doing the 12 gun 1a myself. The Tornado would be another aircraft but there a some things I don't think I could do. The Vertical stab and cowling are just two of them. 

11 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Right, make it simple for me, how many kits do you now need to build 'em all?

9 hours ago, Col. said:

Right, make it simple for me, how many kits do you now need to build 'em all?

I reckon 18 should do it.  However, that only deals with physical differences, not differences in colours and markings.  And there were colour scheme differences.  451 Sqn RAAF used Typhoons in Egypt in the Tropical Land Scheme.  486 Sqn used them in the night intruder role with Night undersurfaces and Dull Red codes.  The Fighter Interception Unit had at least one aircraft in the mid-war night fighter scheme of overall Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green disruptive uppersurface pattern.  There may even have been a target tug scheme used immediately post-war, although that may be apocryphal. 

The Day Fighter Scheme painted aircraft were by no means uniform either.  Early aircraft had recognition bands on the undersurfaces of the wings, similar to D-Day markings but with different proportions and the colours reversed. Some aircraft had yellow bands on the wing uppersurfaces.  After the removal of D-Day markings, most aircraft also lost their Sky fuselage bands and spinners.  By the end of the war most aircraft had their upperwing Type B roundels replaced with Type C1. 

There is a huge variety but most of the differences are quite subtle.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 6:01 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

I reckon 18 should do it.  However, that only deals with physical differences, not differences in colours and markings.  And there were colour scheme differences.  451 Sqn RAAF used Typhoons in Egypt in the Tropical Land Scheme.  486 Sqn used them in the night intruder role with Night undersurfaces and Dull Red codes.  The Fighter Interception Unit had at least one aircraft in the mid-war night fighter scheme of overall Medium Sea Grey and Dark Green disruptive uppersurface pattern.  There may even have been a target tug scheme used immediately post-war, although that may be apocryphal. 

The Day Fighter Scheme painted aircraft were by no means uniform either.  Early aircraft had recognition bands on the undersurfaces of the wings, similar to D-Day markings but with different proportions and the colours reversed. Some aircraft had yellow bands on the wing uppersurfaces.  After the removal of D-Day markings, most aircraft also lost their Sky fuselage bands and spinners.  By the end of the war most aircraft had their upperwing Type B roundels replaced with Type C1. 

There is a huge variety but most of the differences are quite subtle.

Makes my three seem pathetic by comparison :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Makes my three seem pathetic by comparison :lol:

I've just looked through The Stash and found that I have 13 1/72 Typhoons.  I don't remember buying all of those...  :shrug:

The Bren Gun ones will do for car door canopy versions.  The Academy kits are ideal for three-bladed prop early tailplane versions. The Airfix kit works for the later war versions with a four-bladed prop and Tempest tailplane.

Not counted in the above are a couple of Hobby Boss easy build kits. The canopy and radiator on them are wrong but I should have numerous radiators available from the KP Tempests.  Bren Gun produce some vacform canopies, so the HB kits could probably be brought up to scratch as well.

Every time I typed Bren Gun, autocucumber corrected it to Been Fun.  Not annoying in the slightest...

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

The autocucumber is a real sweetheart. Those that know the forum software may guess, that I didn't write "sweetheart"

To be honest I've never had much problem with autocucumber on this site.  I usually post here from my computer but that previous post was from my tablet, where autocucumber always thinks it knows better than me...  :lol: 

• Haha 2

In a group build far away in the past, I wrote "Kerlin-sweetheart" and posted it. It read "Kerlin-Sweetheart" on the post. I edited the post by re-writing the latter part. I came out as a sweetheart again. All right, I thought, as the forum software seems to edit all "sweethearts" to "sweethearts", I can from now on call everyone a "sweetheart" and let them wonder, which word I actually used in calling them?!

I know this looks very silly to those sweethearts that don't know what the software does :giggle:. V-P

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/8/2022 at 1:35 PM, Rob S said:

("I wonder how many in a Carton?" says the person who preordered and bought a carton of 1:72 Airfix TSR-2s when they came out!) 

6 wasn't it?  I know someone who did the same, and I've still only built one of them!! 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Roland Pulfrew said:

6 wasn't it?  I know someone who did the same, and I've still only built one of them!! 🤦‍♂️

From memory yes 6 TSR2s in a Box.  If you've built one you're way ahead of me! 

Goodness I haven't been paying attention to this GB Proposal.  Good thing the "Bunfight" is still a bit of time away. 

• Haha 1