Hawker Tornado to Sea Fury 2023 GB Proposal

Rob S

Hello

a year before is a bit early to decide, however in I have a Tornado GR1 1/72 of Eduard, a Typhoon of Eduard 1/48 and a Sea Fury 1/48 of Airfix, then maybe we will add more to decide , we will see !!

Ettore :bye:

• Like 1

On 12/14/2021 at 2:08 PM, Ettore said:

Hello

a year before is a bit early to decide, however in I have a Tornado GR1 1/72 of Eduard, a Typhoon of Eduard 1/48 and a Sea Fury 1/48 of Airfix, then maybe we will add more to decide , we will see !!

Ettore :bye:

Tornado GR1?  That one might be a wee bit too modern for this GB!  

Will be great to see the other two built though. 

Up to 19 now after @PhantomBigStu indicated on the Matchbox GB that he’d like to take part. 

(Edited)

(Edited again). So like the Thunderbirds from the next one we can count down from 10 to get in the Bunfight already!  

Edited by Rob S
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CliffB said:

Add me to the list too please Rob, with a small scale Tempest II.

Thanks

“small scale” - very interesting Cliff.  Can’t wait to see what scale and which kit it is. 

On the list at double decade Number 20. 

TEN!  

Edited by Rob S

10 hours ago, Doccur said:

Sign me up please! 

Got plenty of options in the stash!

Ash

Welcome Ash. 

On the List at 21. 

NINE!  

Edited by Rob S
  • Thanks 1

On 1/1/2022 at 3:05 AM, Rob S said:

“small scale” - very interesting Cliff.  Can’t wait to see what scale and which kit it is. 

Hi Rob.  It's a 1/200 scale resin/white metal kit, which I think was produced by a company called HBM.

AVvXsEgvhgVDdCuNqPGHrlpX6TNY2PRfyvm0i8f0

I occasionally enjoy building these tiny beasts, as a bit of light relief from more conventional kits :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Like 3

Hi Rob, count me in please! I have an Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury in the stash; I’ve also been eyeing up some of Eduard’s Tempests, so may have something else by the time this GB comes around. Great idea for a lineage build 👏

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CliffB said:

Hi Rob.  It's a 1/200 scale resin/white metal kit, which I think was produced by a company called HBM.

AVvXsEgvhgVDdCuNqPGHrlpX6TNY2PRfyvm0i8f0

I occasionally enjoy building these tiny beasts, as a bit of light relief from more conventional kits :winkgrin:

Cheers

Wow very interesting.  Never heard of HBM.  You learn something every day.  Must look out for HBM in the future.  

Must admit I thought it might have been something in 1:100 or 1:96 and was trying to think of any TTTFSF kits in those scales. 

2 hours ago, Steve 1602 said:

Hi Rob, count me in please! I have an Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury in the stash; I’ve also been eyeing up some of Eduard’s Tempests, so may have something else by the time this GB comes around. Great idea for a lineage build 👏

Steve

On the List Steve at two lots of legs eleven 22. 

Yes great idea for a lineage GB but it wasn’t my original idea I’m afraid. (I’ll have to re read the opening Post now to remember where it came from!) 

EIGHT! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob S said:

Must admit I thought it might have been something in 1:100 or 1:96 and was trying to think of any TTTFSF kits in those scales. 

I built this 1/96 Eaglewall Typhoon last year.  It dates from the 1950's, has many accuracy issues and really has little to recommend it apart from its nostalgia value :winkgrin:

spacer.png

Much better is this 1/100 scale Typhoon from Victrix, which IIRC was released in 2012.  Each box contains three kits, with high quality decals provided for three different schemes.

spacer.png

More recently I've been introduced to the 1/100 (15mm), range of wargaming aircraft from Old Glory  This range includes a Typhoon and a Tempest.

They have a couple of limitations however:

• they are made of solid resin (including the cockpit canopies)
  • they are intended to be 'in flight' models, so there is no u/c or prop provided.

They seem to be quite accurate though and nicely moulded.  Many include additional parts for ordnance.  I bought their Swordfish (not made yet), whose open cockpit and fixed u/c circumvented a couple of the limitations!

Cheers

• Like 2

On 07/01/2022 at 22:18, vppelt68 said:

I don't see @JOCKNEY on the list yet, but I'm sure he'll join me/us in this GB too. A perfect opportunity for me to build this one

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dzi-f389-hawker-typhoon-1b-tank-buster--1233448

Pat once sent to me! V-P

Careful V-P, us Scots are supposed to be really careful with money, I could get deported for bad behaviour !

OK OK,  I'm in, I got one of these thats not going to build itself 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a50157-d-day-air-assault--631679

Cheers Pat

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 8:18 AM, vppelt68 said:

I don't see @JOCKNEY on the list yet, but I'm sure he'll join me/us in this GB too. A perfect opportunity for me to build this one

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/dzi-f389-hawker-typhoon-1b-tank-buster--1233448

Pat once sent to me! V-P

Apologies for taking so long to reply but the (totally unnecessary) House move is sucking up so much of my time.  

Nice old kit that one. Although a bit crude I reckon it’s more accurate than the later Frog release (which was way too fat!). 

On the List at 23. 

SEVEN!  

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 8:33 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Careful V-P, us Scots are supposed to be really careful with money, I could get deported for bad behaviour !

OK OK,  I'm in, I got one if these thats not going to build itself 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a50157-d-day-air-assault--631679

Cheers Pat

A GB just wouldn’t be complete without our favourite Scot. 

Welcome Pat. 

On the list at two dozen 24. 

SIX!  

• Thanks 1

@Enzo Matrix with the way Ju 88 and Do 17 "families" are allowed to be treated as STGB, wouldn't this Hawker fighter lineage be one such too - thus 25 members would be enough to throw this into Bunfight - if @Rob S wants this to be treated as an STGB, they are a month shorter too :hmmm:. Anyway, just my :2c:! V-P

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

@Enzo Matrix with the way Ju 88 and Do 17 "families" are allowed to be treated as STGB, wouldn't this Hawker fighter lineage be one such too - thus 25 members would be enough to throw this into Bunfight - if @Rob S wants this to be treated as an STGB, they are a month shorter too :hmmm:. Anyway, just my :2c:! V-P

Not really.  The Do217 was an incremental development of the Do17.  However, the Hawker aircraft were new designs using experience gained from the previous aircraft.  The Tornado and Typhoon actually had very little in common.  Although the Tempest was originally designated Typhoon Mk.II, the resulting aircraft was so different that it was given its own name.  Similarly with the Sea Fury.  Originally, it was designated "Light Tempest" but again the resulting aircraft was so different that it got its own name.

I think this concept is far better suited to a full GB.   The extra month may give some maniac the chance to build one of each...   :mental: 

• Haha 2

I have to disagree, in so far as the Tornado and Typhoon, although less twins than sometimes thought, have the same wings, tail and fuselage, just positioned slightly differently to get the Vulture engine to fit.   The Tempest has a new wing but only a slightly modified fuselage.  The Sea Fury has the Tempest wing with the centre-section removed, and basically is a lightweight Tempest.   There is no doubt that all four share a common development line and parts in common.  (Though it might be difficult finding parts common to the Tornado and the Sea Fury.)  In comparison the Do 17 and 217 have different wings, fuselages, tails and engines.  Really they have little to nothing in common beyond the configuration.  The Do.217 is a much stronger, heavier, more powerful aircraft.   A Beaufort compared to a Blenheim.

• Like 2