Flat-top off Donaghadee

Black Knight

Just thought I'd mention this

From last Thursday 28th October to yesterday, 3rd November, a very large ship lay off Donaghadee. 

It was relatively stationary. Moving only a short distance each day, only about 3 or 4 measures of its length and back to point x.

Sometimes, as yesterday, this big ship had a companion, a smaller ship.

I'd say the ships were about 4 to 6 km off, on the inside of the ferry run which is about 8 km out

Yesterday the light conditions were good and I could see the big ship appeared to be an aircraft carrier - ie flat-top with an island and when it swung round it had a wide V shape. 

The smaller ship looked like one of the fleet re-fuellers or re-supply ships

I'm thinking that this ship that I believe to be an aircraft carrier was stationed here to provide some sort of cover for the world leaders' meeting in Glasgow last weekend

I tried photographing it but there was too much sea haze and the image just turned into a blur 

• Like 1

A US Flat top? I was surprised the other evening when checking Donny Radar to see what was flying over North Yorkshire to find an AC130J heading south amongst the usual military air traffic. Had it been part of a protection force guarding the VIPs in Glasgow?