90 Squadron Canberra B2 RAF Marham

The west wing

Hi

I’m hoping to build a model of a Canberra serving with 90 Squadron at Marham between 1953 and 1956. It’s a surprise gift for someone who worked on them. I have sourced the High Planes 1/72 model but my problem is finding any information as to regards marking and colour schemes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ian

9 hours ago, The west wing said:

Hi

I’m hoping to build a model of a Canberra serving with 90 Squadron at Marham between 1953 and 1956. It’s a surprise gift for someone who worked on them. I have sourced the High Planes 1/72 model but my problem is finding any information as to regards marking and colour schemes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Ian

Ian, I'll see if I can find a photo, but in the meantime, it would most likely be High Speed Silver with a yellow fin flash and white tip tanks.

John

• Like 1

6 hours ago, canberra kid said:

Ian, I'll see if I can find a photo, but in the meantime, it would most likely be High Speed Silver with a yellow fin flash and white tip tanks.

John

Thanks for that info John.

A Silver, yellow and white colour scheme sounds brilliant🙂

FWIW, page 233 of MJF Bowyer's 'Bombing Colours' says: "No 90 Squadron applied a yellow hind to the tails of its Canberras in February 1956.'  No photo though.

David

• Like 1

I've found the wikipedia page for the Canberra and where the section starts on operational history there is a photo of three aircraft in formation (Sorry cant link the photo).

Looking at the middle aircraft can this be 90 sqn with a yellow hind on the tail or is it another squadron?

Thanks

Ian

Hi Ian

More photos, The Hind was only applied for Exercise Hannibal May 1955, This photo was taken during the exercise. A note for modelling, the airframes are in an early mod state so no mudguards on the nose wheel, no fuel vaper vent mast, and note the position of the pitot sighted to the left of the secondary window, I have a better photo of the Hind if you want it? 

gnyIhD.jpg

John  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's brilliant thank you so much!

I think I will do it as a standard aircraft without the Hind, but put a squadron badge on the base. One last question any idea as to what markings squadron codes will be and are there any decal sheets that can be modified regards the squadron code?

Thanks

Ian

No Sqn code just the aircraft serials. this is an example of the style and size variation, the only on I can make out is AVRO built B.2 WK115. As for availability, the Model Alliance Canberra serial sheet if you can find them, if all else fails I probable have the ones you need. 

gtIEvJ.jpg

John