Revell 1/16 Peterbilt 359 Dump Truck Conversion

JeroenS

Hi all, I bought this kit for Christmas last year, with more than a little help of our resident kit buyer @Andy J, to celebrate the fact that in our new place I would have room for an A2 cutting mat. I wanted something big! 

And, well, big it is. I'm not actually working on it right now, I did do some work on it this summer, didn't start a thread but I feel it deserves one anyway. I have too many on the go, but only those of us with strict discipline can avoid that 🙂 

So, just to put it out there. 

This is the kit. It's the Revell 2014 reboxing of the 1980 Monogram kit. I do like a big rig and the Pete's a classic of course. 

20201207135903-448ecbf5-me.jpg

The box is huge in itself. 

The contents. 

20201207135904-625c8230-me.jpg

It doesn't look like much, like that, but this will make you think twice. 

20201207135902-d484ed25-me.jpg

I can assure you the 1/24 Scania cab is already quite something. 

Now, of course I couldn't just build it as it comes in the box. Nope, I want this

20211103212755-8663ea88-me.jpg

or maybe this

20211103212756-0dc24ac2-me.jpg

or some other colour combination but I quite like the red and black. 

There was some cutting. There was a ridge on the back of the cab to connect the sleeper, and it had to go. I also cut the interior piece. 

20211103212317-e7a38033-me.jpg

so I could glue that to the back to close that gap. The rest of the interior can slide in later.

20211103212317-b23868a4-me.jpg

The cab has had several turns of filling and sanding. Maybe a bit more is required. I doubt it will ever be perfect but the dumper will hide everything. 

20211103212130-8cd35914-me.jpg

That done, I built up and primed the chassis and the engine, which has received some Caterpillar yellow. 

20211103212131-b95f2d4c-me.jpg

I may have to lengthen the chassis a little to make room for the dumper, I'll see what it looks like with the cab on. This thing is 50 cm long. 

Most of the engine detail is moulded on but it doesn't look too bad at all. 

20211103212132-461c6706-me.jpg

Some other parts were built up. I bought some Alclad Chrome to try out, I've never used it before but this build calls for lots of chrome parts. 

20211103212132-868a6ae1-me.jpg

So far so good. The only thing that is a let down are the wheels, the tyres specifically. They're not rubber and they're not plastic, but something in between and it's not very good. They look OK from the outside. 

20211103212133-384d174c-me.jpg

But the fit on the inside is terrible. 

20211103212130-ed2431eb-me.jpg

It's not touching the rim anywhere. I'm kind of wondering what to do with this. I looked for AM 1/16 wheels but, as can be expected, there's not a big market. I don't have a 3D printer, but I think it's probably the best solution to print a set of wheels including the tyres. I don't know... but as they are now it's not going to cut it I guess. 

Anyway, the build is now "alive", I have no idea when I'll be returning to it. I've been building stuff in my garden for the past month and my build for Nordic II GB has fallen way behind. 

See you later!

• Like 7

Yep I'm in Jeroen I did the easy part acquiring the kit for you now you have the harder part of making it all look cool 😎. Oh and red and black is the way to go imo 😉 👍

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andy J said:

Yep I'm in Jeroen I did the easy part acquiring the kit for you now you have the harder part of making it all look cool 😎. Oh and red and black is the way to go imo 😉 👍

OK, red and black it will be Andy. Or black and red 🙂 

I've been thinking a little bit about those tyres. I could make a ring to go around the rim on the inside of the wheel, then force the tyre over that. I normally fill the tyres with sheets of toilet paper (one sheet per 1/24 tyre), but maybe I'll use something else in this case, like clay or something. 

• 1 month later...

I looked at my tyres, they fit reasonably good. There is a retainer ring, looks like a locking rim that glues on the back of the outer rim that holds the tyre good. The tyres do over time tend to "deflate" and get more skinny and come off the bead. I just tried a soft foam insert for an R/C tyre, it seemed to push on the sidewalls just enough. Could also try a pool noodle, just have to cut it to fit. Same method as R/C uses. There was a couple of after market parts for 1/16. White Fang was one and Silver State Specialties was another.White Fang is gone and Silver state sold their molds to someone years ago. Auslowe has spoke wheels, bull bar and a few other parts, mostly for Aussie rigs but can be used anywhere. That's about it though. I was hoping someone would make 22.5 wheels and tyres but no one ever has. I did master a 22.5 tyre, modified it from the kit, seems sorta ok. I used a five hole wheel from a 1/16 MCI bus, took some work but didn't turn out to great. Have to try it again sometime. be nice to also have in either size, some knobby tread drive tyres instead of the California tyres it comes with. There is also slotted PE mesh for the train guys that can be used for the grill if you want it opened. It fits 1/25 nicely but could be hacked into 1/16, no ones going to count the holes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

I was hoping someone would make 22.5 wheels and tyres but no one ever has.

In the meantime I have found a German producer of 1/16 rims and tyres, I'm thinking about it but they're quite expensive. 

https://www.veroma-modellbau.eu/produkt-kategorie/lkw/lkw-teile-massstab1-16/lkw-reifen-felgen-radnaben-massstab-1-16/

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

In the meantime I have found a German producer of 1/16 rims and tyres, I'm thinking about it but they're quite expensive. 

https://www.veroma-modellbau.eu/produkt-kategorie/lkw/lkw-teile-massstab1-16/lkw-reifen-felgen-radnaben-massstab-1-16/

i just looked at these, the parts fit 1/14 even though it says 1/16. I measured and the  tyres are way to big at 73 mm diameter and 20mm wide. Plus the rimes are Euro types. The nut caps might work, but might be easier to take hex rod and round the ends off.

• 1 year later...
53 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

These Peterbuilts are beasts! Quite a change from a COE.

Will this be a Van Dordt asset?

I'm kind of into US stuff at the moment, but the Pete is resting inside the box for now. A little while ago, I did look at the wheel situation again and I think I can make it work with the kit wheels.

If it becomes a company truck, then definitely a Van Dordt one 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1