Avro Vulcan STGB proposal

Adam Poultney

It's no secret that I like Vulcans, I've built rather a lot of them. The new tool Airfix kit seems to have generated some interest in recent months, so I was thinking as the 2022 Bunfight plays out, why not get in early with a proposal for a 2023 Avro Vulcan GB if anyone would be interested. 

STGB rules are pretty simple, you can build the subject vehicle and only the subject vehicle, sometimes including its derivatives (such as in the Do17 STGB which is in the Bunfight for 2022 right now, where Do215s, Do217s and maybe even Do317s might make an appearance). For this, Avro Vulcans are the only real aircraft that will be allowed, proposed derivatives like the Avro Atlantic are ok as well if you want to do a conversion of one. Whether we include Avro 707s as the 1/3 scale test aircraft can be decided later, but I would lean towards no; this is a single type group build. Maybe if a wider V Force GB were run that could be included (I did try one for 2021 but it didn't make it through the Bunfight).

Anyway, to save time for anyone wondering what kits are around of Vulcans:

Old Airfix 1/72 Vulcan B2

New Airfix 1/72 Vulcan B2 

GWH/Pit Road 1/144 Vulcan B2/K2

Trumpeter 1/144 Vulcan B2

Cyberhobby/Dragon 1/200 Vulcan B2

FROG 1/96 Vulcan B1 (1958 tooling, very rare)

Lindberg 1/96 Vulcan prototype (1959 tooling, very inaccurate)

And a few alternate media Vulcan B2s

PSX_20210914_151035

• Like 1

Interested members:

Host - Adam Poultney - probably five or six builds including some conversions

2. @drdjp11 - Airfix and Trumpeter 

3. @Rob S - old tool vulcan

4. @CliffB - Lindberg triangle

5. @Stefan Buysse - GWH Vulcan

6. @RevDWC- Airfix, if shipping allows

7. @Col.-New Airfix Vulcan

8. @exdraken - 1/144?

Edited by Adam Poultney
  • Like 1

With a new Airfix Vulcan in the stash I'll put my name on the list please Adam.

Obviously it'd qualify for my own Bomber GB and your Big and British GB but I've already made other plans for those :)

• Like 1

I'm not going to list in this one to build a huge size jet airplane.

But I have a good story which includes a Vulcan. We were visiting RAF Museum in Hendon three years ago. Our son went to his mom and asked her to close her eyes, then took hold of her arm and walked her carefully middle under the Vulcan in the next hall. Then he said my wife could open her eyes :yikes:. Needless to say, she was pretty impressed by the size of that delta wing!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

But I have a good story which includes a Vulcan. We were visiting RAF Museum in Hendon three years ago. Our son went to his mom and asked her to close her eyes, then took hold of her arm and walked her carefully middle under the Vulcan in the next hall. Then he said my wife could open her eyes :yikes:. Needless to say, she was pretty impressed by the size of that delta wing!

Haha it is probably the most impressive thing at Hendon! Or at any museum that has one for that matter! 

2 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

I'm not going to list in this one to build a huge size jet airplane.

:( Not everyone's cup of tea. 

• Like 1

While we're on Vulcan stories... (weren't we?) my story dates back to 2007 and a visit to what is now the North East Land Sea and Air Museums. I grew up in and around Sunderland, but ended up for most of my life in Seattle in the US (working for a major manufacturer of aerospace products primarily based in Seattle).

A Boeing friend came with me on a work trip to England and we decided to hit as many air museums as we could, which ended up being Duxford, Cosford and... Sunderland, as it was only a couple of miles from my family. We got there at about 4:15 pm, with a closing time of 5:00, but we were almost turned away as the place was pretty quiet and the folks just wanted to get home. After a bit of pleading they relented and let us in and we got to chatting. I mentioned I was from "around here" and they didn't believe me. My accent has certainly been modified significantly by 25 years (at that time) of living in Canada and the US. In the end, I had to describe Ian Porterfield's winning goal in the 1973 FA Cup final to convince them I was a Mackem (a term that didn't exist in 1982 when I left England). And when we mentioned we worked at Boeing the tables turned completely and we were treated like royalty. We got to sit in everything - the Hunter, the Sabre, whatever was open, and then they asked if we would like to get in the Vulcan. Would we? Duh.

So we went outside and walked across a field, taking a bit of a detour around the dead porcupine on the way. We got to the Vulcan and after a quick tour of the exterior, the chap had a go at opening the entry hatch for us. It wouldn't budge. Out came a hammer and screwdriver and a few bashes at the latch (much wincing from us), and the hatch popped open. Up we went, around the rather large navigator's table and up the final steps to the cockpit. We got to sit in the pilot and co-pilot seats (not a lot of room - gave me an even greater appreciation for those horrendously long Black Buck missions.) And then we were done. Sitting outside, the Vulcan was a bit shopworn and had taken numerous golf ball hits from locals using it as target practice. It does look like the museum has been able to restore it, so I'm really looking forward to getting back there at some point. 

Not sure if that dead porcupine will still be part of the exhibit, though.

• Like 4