Removing enamel paint from resin

81-er

I've recently unearthed my old Sevans Cyberman and Cyber Controller kits from my parents' loft, which are both partly built and badly painted by teenaged me. I'd like to strip them and get them finished properly, which leaves me with the issue of how to safely remove the enamel paint from the resin bits. I've seen a few ideas from a Google search (oven cleaner, Dettol, Simple Green etc), but all caution against using on resin as there's dangers of reactions. So, does anyone have a recommendation for something that's safe?

James

This probably won't apply in your specific case, James, but be careful with isopropanol on resin.

I discovered the hard way that in the time which it takes to begin to dissolve paint, it can affect some types of resin enough to do surface damage, such as softening the fine sculpted details of the face on an expensive figure. Had I known about over-washing in 3D printing, I would have put two and two together and not risked it.

• 5 months later...

For enamels, I think nothing can beat the combination of NaOH (lye / caustic soda) and an ultrasonic cleaner. The paint gets removed from every nook and cranny.

However I do not know how resin parts will respond. My gut feeling says they will be OK, but I haven't tried it myself.

Here's a page I made about the technique: https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/ultrasonic.htm

spacer.png

Here's a stripped 35 year-old Tamiya F1 painted with Humbrol enamels

m23-09.jpg

Rob

• Thanks 1

I've used cellulose thinners to remove paint from resin kits successfully and with the usual precautions. No harm done to the model either.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...