Revell 2022 releases

Stephen

On 14/11/2021 at 19:20, PhantomBigStu said:

Someone’s edited the 787 on scalemares and thinks they are doing a lufthansa rebox of the -9 kit next year……wonder if I’m will get built by a modeller before Boeing complete the first for lufthansa 

Since the Revell 788 is a rebox of the Zvezda kit, not their own tool, this is probably a rebox of the Zvezda 789 rather than a new tool.

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

Since the Revell 788 is a rebox of the Zvezda kit, not their own tool, this is probably a rebox of the Zvezda 789 rather than a new tool.

Most likely. It's a nice kit!

• Like 1

Strange that the real thing has been in service 10 years yet this is the first boxing of it by Zvezda/Revell that won't be Boeing House Colours.

Wonder if it's because it's not operated by Russian carriers? (Though didn't stop them launching the 757 with Icelandair scheme)

4 minutes ago, IT_Man said:

Strange that the real thing has been in service 10 years yet this is the first boxing of it by Zvezda/Revell that won't be Boeing House Colours.

Wonder if it's because it's not operated by Russian carriers? (Though didn't stop them launching the 757 with Icelandair scheme)

It's possibly due to licensing issues with the airlines themselves.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IT_Man said:

Doyusha have released this moulding in ANA aand JAL colours, so the kit has been released not in Boeing House colours, just not by Revell or Zvezda.

Revell have a current licencing agreement with Lufthansa so this boxing from them makes sense.

• Like 1

Yesterday was "the day".

Press conference in Buende, Revell headquarter.

(BTW, I wasn't there)

So only the "news" for the first month are online now.

All other comes, old fashioned Revell tradition on New Years Day.

But here is link (in German) for the news for January to May 2022:

https://www.kitreviewsonline.de/revell-neuheiten-januar-bis-mai-2022/

modelldoc

Edited by modelldoc
  • Thanks 2

The Cobra 427 is pesumably the decent ex Monogram 1:24 one, that Revell have issued several times in the past - if so, good to see it back as it is much more accurate than the 1:25 289 kit they currently have available.  Not a surprise though that there aren't any new tool car kits listed this time, given the recent run with the new tool Jag E Type, VW T2 bay window and impact bumper Porsche 911, all of which are already available in two variants.  However, I was expecting perhaps a T2 panel van, given what they have done with their split screen tooling and the Porsche looks like there are parts for future variants on the sprues (not including the USA federal spec headlights & bigger rear bumper overriders, which are presumably for the USA market boxing).  It will be interesting to see what the VW & Porsche tooling may become in the future (the Jag is unlikely to have other variants, except perhaps a racing one, as the Series 2 & 3 are sufficiently different to require major surgery to the moulds).

The chrome spray certainly looks intriguing, especially if it is as good as that article suggests.  I've not used Alclad as I don't have a airbrush, but the previous spray cans I have tried have not been good, unlike Molotow pens, which have been excellent.

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Paul H said:

The Cobra 427 is pesumably the decent ex Monogram 1:24 one, that Revell have issued several times in the past - if so, good to see it back as it is much more accurate than the 1:25 289 kit they currently have available.  Not a surprise though that there aren't any new tool car kits listed this time, given the recent run with the new tool Jag E Type, VW T2 bay window and impact bumper Porsche 911, all of which are already available in two variants.  However, I was expecting perhaps a T2 panel van, given what they have done with their split screen tooling and the Porsche looks like there are parts for future variants on the sprues (not including the USA federal spec headlights & bigger rear bumper overriders, which are presumably for the USA market boxing).  It will be interesting to see what the VW & Porsche tooling may become in the future (the Jag is unlikely to have other variants, except perhaps a racing one, as the Series 2 & 3 are sufficiently different to require major surgery to the moulds).

The chrome spray certainly looks intriguing, especially if it is as good as that article suggests.  I've not used Alclad as I don't have a airbrush, but the previous spray cans I have tried have not been good, unlike Molotow pens, which have been excellent.

Aren't new tooled cars usually released in the second half of the year? We probably have to wait until January 1st for that announcement.

Also I am excited about the 1/8 Trans Am.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2021 at 20:13, cmatthewbacon said:

Hundred years of Jaguar 1/24 box set sounds interesting… at £60+ it’s not great value with only two kits (XK120 and E Type?) in it, but better with three. Not sure what the third would be that Revell has access to…XKSS maybe, though that’s more like 20 years of Jaguar than 100!

best,

M.

I didn't see it on the list, so I assume it's one that's been around.  It sounds like an interesting set, even if there are only thirteen years between the XK120 and E-Type.  A proper set would probably need to include a Swallow sidecar and an i-Pace to better reflect 100 years of the company that became Jaguar Cars (but would enough people be interested in that?).  As it stands, I'd be far more likely to buy an XKSS kit as I've got the XK120 and E-Type kits.

On 02/11/2021 at 20:28, Paul H said:

Presumably it won't be on the shelves until 2045 then 😉

Strictly speaking, yes.

On 02/11/2021 at 20:28, Paul H said:

I'd forgotten that Revell has the XK120 tooling, having inherited it from Monogram.  Their XKSS would be a welcome reissue too.  Italeri have just reissued their XJ220, which Revell reboxed at one point, so I wonder if that may be one of the featured vehicles?

I'm working on a pair of Revell Jaguar XK120s at the moment, I can assure you they won't be forgotten in a hurry...

On 07/11/2021 at 08:59, dbostream said:

Sink marks have been the biggest issue I have seen lately, both on the new E-Type Coupe and 911 Coupe. Also the E-Type was badly packaged making the hood not fit the body anymore. Thankfully Revell's customer service is very good and quickly sent me a new hood and body that fit nicely.

I've not inspected my Revell E-Types too closely for sink marks, but I'm pretty confident that the XK120s will be worse.  The pair I'm working on needed a lot of clean up to remove flash and fix sink marks.  I'm also going to have flashbacks about how tricky they are to assemble in some places, but the Jaguar XK120 does build into quite a nice looking model when it's done and has plenty of build options (LHD/RHD, spats or not, hood up or down, windscreen or aeroscreens).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, johnlambert said:

I've not inspected my Revell E-Types too closely for sink marks, but I'm pretty confident that the XK120s will be worse.  The pair I'm working on needed a lot of clean up to remove flash and fix sink marks.

The XKs date, like the MGTC, to an era (late '70s) when Monogram was experimenting with die-cast bodies (I suspect trying to appeal to the buyers of Franklin Mint models who might be interested in building one for themselves). I don't think the main moulds were changed at all when they started making them in plastic. which naturally has very different properties from Zanac or whatever it is. (Sidebar: this is why you can't just take a Corgi diecast, mould it in plastic, and call it an Airfix kit...)

It'll be interesting to see if that Gift Set comes back into the listing when we have the full 2022 announcement in a month or so. As John points out, to get to "100 years of Jaguar," there really needs to be something designed after 1960 in the set (I'm not holding my breath for a Swallow sidecar...). A new-tool F-Type with Eduard-style multiple alternative parts to build several of the available options is probably a pipe-dream...

best,

M.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cmatthewbacon said:

A new-tool F-Type with Eduard-style multiple alternative parts to build several of the available options is probably a pipe-dream...

best,

M.

I don't usually do new cars but I'd buy a couple of those if that kit existed, to bring my Jaguar collection up-to-date.

• Like 1

As much as a new tool Jag would be lovely, based on Revell's previous combo sets, it will almost certainly be stuff that they already have.  The only injection moulded kits of Jaguars in 1:24 that I know of, and which are later than the E Type are Hasegawa's XJS & Italeri's XJ220*.  Revell have reboxed Italeri kits before including the XJ220, but have they ever reboxed Hasegawa ones?  Revell did do a 1:25 snap kit of the XJS in the '70s, but that hasn't been seen for decades.  Based on that, I recko that the combo will probably be the XK120 & E OTS, both E OTS & FHC or the E FHC & XJ220.

*If you can find one for sensible money, Tamiya's XJ220 captures the look much better.

12 hours ago, Paul H said:

As much as a new tool Jag would be lovely, based on Revell's previous combo sets, it will almost certainly be stuff that they already have.  The only injection moulded kits of Jaguars in 1:24 that I know of, and which are later than the E Type are Hasegawa's XJS & Italeri's XJ220*.  Revell have reboxed Italeri kits before including the XJ220, but have they ever reboxed Hasegawa ones?  Revell did do a 1:25 snap kit of the XJS in the '70s, but that hasn't been seen for decades.  Based on that, I recko that the combo will probably be the XK120 & E OTS, both E OTS & FHC or the E FHC & XJ220.

*If you can find one for sensible money, Tamiya's XJ220 captures the look much better.

They did, at least with aircraft kits: 1/48 Phantom FGR.2, F-104 and Spitfire, 1/72 Mosquito, P-2, P-3, Draken, Lightning and several others.