Another refurbishment of a really early in my building years the airfix dc-10 that had yellowed.  
Thought I’d use it as an opportunity to try out the humbrol metalcoat paint. Unfortunately not overly impressed with it 1 small can only just covered the fuselage which needed 2 coats and even then was patchy and polished through.  If anybody has a suggestion for a better or cheaper polished aluminium look paint (C54 and B29 in the stash) please let me know. 
Pre refurb. 
spacer.png

Post. 
spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

(excuse the missing cockpit glass and door surrounds. The glass shattered and yellowed and no spare door surrounds yet)

• Like 25

I've never got Metalcote to work on large areas, even 1/200 scale bombers was too much. Its very good for small areas and details. For a large area like this I'd use AK XTreme Metals which are superb and really easy to spray. AK insist they are enamels but if they are, they are very 'hot' so treat them like lacquers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallBlondJohn said:

I've never got Metalcote to work on large areas, even 1/200 scale bombers was too much. Its very good for small areas and details. For a large area like this I'd use AK XTreme Metals which are superb and really easy to spray. AK insist they are enamels but if they are, they are very 'hot' so treat them like lacquers.

Thanks for that info. I found around no2 engine it looked good but as you said the larger areas it’s just not right. 
I’ll have a look at AK at the moment I’m looking at either a can or revell 90 or something cheap from Halfords or hobbycraft. 

1 hour ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks good to me. Glass shouldn't be too difficult to replace.

Thanks. I’m think I have a spare just can’t find it at the moment. 

17 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's an impressive refurbishment.  As I recall, this is a good-sized kit, too, even in 1/144!

Thanks. It is a good size kit. Be nice if airfix re-released them and civil stuff

17 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

Nice save. 

Thanks 

17 hours ago, Mig88 said:

Nice refurbishment. Looking good!

Miguel

Thanks 

• Like 1

:thumbsup: from me for AK Interactive Xtreme Metal. Best NMF product I've ever come across. There are a few good tutorial-type videos on YouTube.

You might get away with something like Nissan Silver from Halfords if your spray can technique is good enough. Mine isn't.

Humbrol Metalcote used to be good but that was in the dim and distant past when it was made in the UK. Personally I wouldn't use it nowadays with so many better alternatives readily available.

Dave G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

:thumbsup: from me for AK Interactive Xtreme Metal. Best NMF product I've ever come across. There are a few good tutorial-type videos on YouTube.

You might get away with something like Nissan Silver from Halfords if your spray can technique is good enough. Mine isn't.

Humbrol Metalcote used to be good but that was in the dim and distant past when it was made in the UK. Personally I wouldn't use it nowadays with so many better alternatives readily available.

Dave G

Thanks Dave. I’ll check both Nissan silver and AK paint out. 
Is the AK rattle can or brushable? I mostly brush paint with a bit of rattle can for white and varnish. 

51 minutes ago, RMCS said:

Niiiice 

Thank you. 

14 hours ago, aerotechi said:

Thanks Dave. I’ll check both Nissan silver and AK paint out. 
Is the AK rattle can or brushable? I mostly brush paint with a bit of rattle can for white and varnish. 

Thank you. 

AK Interactive is really meant for airbrushing. I've never used it any other way. 

• Thanks 1

Is SNJ Spray Metal still available? I found it to be really effective on larger areas, and the polishing powder allowed you to end up with a different finish on different panels. I always sprayed it (I guess the clue is in the name!), never tried brushing other than for tiny touch up areas. I used it many years ago on a C130 and a Super Guppy and it looked good on both of them. It would certainly look good on a DC10!. I don’t recall seeing it recently though, unless it’s changed name?

Cheers, Andy

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2021 at 2:35 PM, Andy Young said:

Is SNJ Spray Metal still available? I found it to be really effective on larger areas, and the polishing powder allowed you to end up with a different finish on different panels. I always sprayed it (I guess the clue is in the name!), never tried brushing other than for tiny touch up areas. I used it many years ago on a C130 and a Super Guppy and it looked good on both of them. It would certainly look good on a DC10!. I don’t recall seeing it recently though, unless it’s changed name?

Cheers, Andy

Thanks Andy. I had a look and the company went under a few years ago. 
I was thinking of doing my b29 in a semi polished look. Big and shiny. 

On 11/4/2021 at 1:13 PM, Skodadriver said:

AK Interactive is really meant for airbrushing. I've never used it any other way. 

Thanks Dave. I’ve been doing some research and read you can brush but how it would look compared with spray I don’t know yet. 

5 hours ago, neilg said:

I think it looks beautiful in the AA bare metal!

It looks great from here!

I have a spare set of door decals for the Airfix DC-10, which you are welcome to have if you want them.

Thanks Neil are you after anything? Maybe a swap if you are.