RCAF Colour film footage.

tank152

1 hour ago, tank152 said:

Not colourised either?

No.  Too much odd detail for a colouriser to get.

Great film,  link has been posted before though, but not sure if I could find that again.  A somewhat random selection of locations,  most is in Canada, but there is reel from Burma, [Mohawks, Beaufighters, Hurricanes, Blenheim]  and some in Italy or North Africa [Spitfires] then  back to Canada.

Tip, to use as reference,  find a youtube downloader, and then use VLC media player, it has a screenshot and frame by frame function.  

Sadly I've not been able to get a make on the Mohawk coded O,  but got an id of one of the  Hurricanes min Burma.

I'll see if I can find previous thread, think it was discussing the Sea Hurricanes being used in Canada.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, tank152 said:

I was wondering if it may have been posted up before, oh well.

Better posted twice than not at all :)   

Stuff gets lost/forgotten here

There are some great bits in there,  in particular the Burma footage.    What it really needs is a lot of still with some correct captions. Which if you can see the serial/codes maybe possible, but requires some digging and cross referencing.

FWIW, I think the Mohawk is 5 Sq, BK75?  (poss BK753) Note the ground to air yellow ID marking on the wing tips/leading edge

https://youtu.be/fBwkYRGnd0s?t=1220

and the Hurricane here , HV724, is from 67 Sq 

https://youtu.be/fBwkYRGnd0s?t=1284

Footage is likely late 42/early 43 from the markings, and that the wet season is May-October.   Yes, I have been frame by frame screenshotting. 

I've not gone a search for the Hurricane discussion, but again was an interesting one.

@dogsbody may have squirreled away some info on the Canadian footage.

cheers

T

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dogsbody said:

Actually, no, I haven't saved any film footage. Sorry!

Well, the film is up there! 

If you search up 'youtube downloader' you can find free things that will save it,  and VLC media player (free) will allow you to go frame by frame (press e) and screen shot (shift+s)  which is very handy,  and much easier for seeing details.

I meant more that you may have some information on some of the aircraft in the film,  I'm not interested enough in Canadian AF in general to go screen grabbing for Harvards and other types in Canada to go on a data hunt, though I'll do it for Hurricanes, but thought you may have some info saved on some of the film shown...  I presume somebody in Canada has gone through this and done just what I'm suggesting?    I presume @Carl V  has seen this?  

This film footage is from the holdings of Library and Archives Canada – that often used but seldom credited institution. It is designated the Roffman film footage and, I believe, came into the archives in 1970 although it was not really taken on strength until the early 1980s when I first encountered it. Should anybody who sees this posting wish to view it at source, just look at the small icon in the northwest corner of the screen, click on it and then click on the “video” portion of the menu and then scroll a long way down (passing a lot of really fascinating footage concerning Canadian and Newfoundland history) until you reach this one.

One intriguing point is that this first post is designated Roll 1. A Roll 2 definitely exists with the same type of material. I recall seeing it in the 1980s and I have some stills from it. Nevertheless there is no reference to it in any of the background material supplied by the archives. I will be making further inquiries.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   The only aspect on which I want to comment is that fascinating footage of the Sea Hurricanes. They are aircraft of 129 (Fighter) Squadron based at Dartmouth. They are from the pool of 50 Sea Hurricanes produced for use by the CAM-ships and taken over by the RCAF. As can be seen in the close up of BW883 2. X, the initial squadron code letters HA have been overpainted. This dates the filming as somewhere between 16 October 1942 and January 1943 when these aircraft as well as the aircraft of the other two Sea Hurricane and two Hurricane I (“Battle Hurricane”) squadrons were turned in to be converted to Hurricane XIIA’s. On 16 October 1942 the RCAF ceased to use squadron code letters. However, RCAF Dartmouth having two Hurricane squadrons decreed that one squadron, 126 (F), should have the numeral 1 and the other, 129 (F) the numeral 2 in place of the squadron codes.    

I  hope this is not too irrelevant.

Carl                                            

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Hallo

After watching these films, I can say they are from quality a wonderful event.

The film quality as well from the size of corn as well as accurate settings of the camera.

On the other positive side is the variable angle and the different sun positions.

As a summery I can quote, that at least ,my aircraft WW2 models are too much in mint condition.

Weathering like a tank is necessary to get a Hurricane like this.

All aircraft, except the well polished trainers are weathered in a way, never expected.

On the other side you have to look carefully, the surface is shining in the sun!

Even the most weathered surface!

In photo books, I thought that this ugly photos are exceptions.

But as I see it may be regular.

From this film we can learn! A lot!

Thank you for posting.

Happy modelling

• Like 2