Space Submarine I-401

Hi folks,

I've been rather busy with work lately (and spent my one week off spring cleaning) but managed to finish off this review build. It's a definitely-not-Space Battleship Yamato submarine from Suyata. And to be fair it's actually pretty different in detail and overall shape from the Yamato Dimensional Submarine. I guess it's starting with the same idea (U-boats in space) and going in a different direction.

51648214771_3f31ca67bd_b.jpg
(click for bigger)

I particularly like that it's a nod to the IJN Seiran carriers, and even includes a scarily tiny "float" plane. I thought I'd uploaded a close-up of this, but apparently it's AWOL - will edit in later.

51648214946_95b0843305_b.jpg
51648870564_4a0c866783_b.jpg

The meteor armour and camouflaged torpedoes are specific to this version - they also do a minelayer which replaces the armour plates with dangly robot arms for placing mines.

More here: https://www.themodellingnews.com/2021/11/soujou-combined-fleet-space-submarine-i.html

And here it is in the majestic depths of Outer Space 👽

51649068850_7b31a8324a_b.jpg

Edit: Found the pics of the plane - it's quite petite!

51651496191_22fea11774_b.jpg
51650672687_27fdebdfb9_b.jpg

Cheers!

Will

• Like 21

Cracking job Will, love your review, read it before seeing this, well done.

Was tempted to pick one up as being a submarine and sci fi modeller, but yet to build my I-400 in 1/350 from Arpeggio of Blue Steel.

All the best Chris

• Like 1

Well it's quite bonkers but then again it's Japanese Sci Fi, so I suppose that makes it okay.

Lovely build and finish, Will. To me it looks like it has a small robot crab on it's back.

Obviously the float plane is for landing on the Hydrogen lakes of Io.

The stone missiles make sense. Given enough velocity they'd destroy enemy craft easily.

• Like 1

Thanks for the nice comments folks! I like submarines for weathering, they have lots of room and nice lines. I have found the missing pictures and added them to the OP.

15 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Obviously the float plane is for landing on the Hydrogen lakes of Io.

I love that you always have a good reason for things :)

Will

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Andy! I was a bit worried when I put it together that it's too much, and seriously considered overspraying the rocks with grey to tone them down a bit. For now I'm living with it (and I suspect I will continue to do so...)

Will

• 2 weeks later...