Lysander books?

Ade H

Can anyone recommend a good book which would be useful for making a Lysander of the SD squadron? I've had an Eduard Lysander for ages, bought for the SD markings but without any thought to reference material, and there doesn't seem to be much good info online.

AFAIK, Kightly's book cited above is the best reference--there's an appendix with written material on the mods. You can find contemporaneous pix on the web for the ladder and the belly tank. The tank was a cylindrical tank with nose and tail fairings. Photos I saw appeared to show them more glossy with the actual tank matt. Don't build that aft cockpit per Eduard's instructions, the armament was removed and a passenger seating bench was installed.

Also search for "Special Contract Westland" or SCW. Finally, W.A. Wyland produced 4 sheets of plans that I found very useful. GIYF...

I wrote this in another thread:

BTW, check out the strut mounting holes in the wing. The original Gavia and Eduard boxings have them in the wrong location--too far forward. Unfortunately, I found out too late and now have wonky wings. The latest version of the kit apparently fixes this problem so the wings mount properly. Also if you want the slats and flaps delployed, e.g., using the CMK slat/flap resin, you also need to add slats to the inner wing segments. It's not hard to do. I replaced all the slats with thin Al sheet.

The exhaust, spinner, and under-cowling air inlet shapes vary depending on various factors. Look for photos of your subject. 

Finally, the kit appears to locate the wheels within the spats in the unloaded position. I raised them per plans I and I'm happier with the appearance v. photos.

HTH

-- 

dnl

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Don't build that aft cockpit per Eduard's instructions

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed when I looked properly at the kit, as I figured that some changes must have been made.

Thanks to both of you for your recommendations.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dnl42 said:

AFAIK, Kightly's book cited above is the best reference

Also, my name is in the forward, as I noticed the mods done to the RCAF Mk. II's exhaust collector, to provide extra heating. I had posted that on the now-gone AWF forum. James was a member of that forum and put the info into his book, just before publishing it.

Chris

• Like 1

If you can find it, the slender 4+ publication from Mark 1 Ltd, Prague, 1999 is excellent.  It’s one of a series of superb 4+ titles on Westland aircraft produced in close cooperation with Fred Balham, who IIRC was archivist for Westlands at the time.  Lots of good clear photos, including of the interior (though not of the SD variant), drawings, stores chart, colours & markings notes, etc, etc.  38 high-gloss pages: small but perfectly formed.  I’m very happy with it as a one-stop shop, though I don’t think I’ve seen Mr Kightly’s book

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1