Blohm & Voss Bv 222 V7 Wiking

Here is my latest kit, finished this past weekend after just over 2 months. It's Anigrand Craftswork's 1:144 Blohm & Voss Bv 222 V7 Wiking.

0398-23.jpg

This was the seventh prototype but the first of the C-series with diesel-powered Jumo 207C inline engines. It's first flight was on 1 April, 1943 and it was scuttled by its crew at the end of the war.

This resin kit was built mostly OOB. I opened up the porthole-type windows which were represented as panel lines and filled them with Kristal Klear. I strengthened the join at the wing roots making a spar through the fuselage in front of the tab and using screws as rods behind. I also added some details in the cockpit, correcting the seats and making the steering wheels, although little can be seen! Other details added were the wingtip lights (Kristal Klear drops) and the radio wires (stretched sprue). The base/cradle was made from bits and rods of wood I had. The kit was fully painted and varnished with brush.

0398-06.jpg
0398-09.jpg
0398-11.jpg
0398-14.jpg
0398-16.jpg
0398-18.jpg
0398-20.jpg
0398-21.jpg
0398-22.jpg

Thanks for looking and, as usual, all comments are welcome.
Miguel

• Like 56

22 hours ago, RMCS said:

Superb finish 

22 hours ago, Electric Indigo said:

An impressive beast, and I love the colors. I'm also regularly stunned by what people can achieve with a brush.

21 hours ago, Wulfman said:

First class modelling , great stuff !

Wulfman

21 hours ago, Murewa said:

That's an incredibly cool build and kit! 

Thank you all very much 😊!

Miguel

21 hours ago, foxhandybread said:

Beautiful finish, love the weathering—thought it was a 1/72 or bigger at first, very nice job

Thanks a lot! It's already quite big in 1:144!

Miguel

23 hours ago, mick b said:

Excellent and not often seen so gets my vote 😀👍

Mike

22 hours ago, Allan31 said:

Well done, excellent results with a brush both for the colors and weathering.

22 hours ago, Shorty84 said:

Hi Miguel,

your finish and weathering is really 1st class. I initially thought the kit is 1/72 and only then read it is the Anigrand kit in 1/144. Really impressive 👍

Cheers

Markus

13 hours ago, Remus389 said:

A flawless representation of this giant aircraft. 👍

It would be excellent to put this in a water diorama.

10 hours ago, Toryu said:

Excellent! The only way to see of such big aircraft modelled seems to be 1/144. It should look huge next to your fighter models.

The height of the fin is around the length of a Bf 109!!!

10 hours ago, VolkerR. said:

Awesome!

Thank you very much to all for your wonderful comments!

Miguel

On 04/11/2021 at 22:42, stevehnz said:

That looks quite wonderful. Seeing it makes me wish someone would do a 1/144 one in plastic, it would look well alongside a Me 323 one day.

Steve.

Thanks a lot Steve.  I always thought it was a shame that Revell never downscaled some of their lovely newer 1:72 kits of large German aircraft, namely the Ju 290, Fw 200, He 177 and, of course, the Bv 222 which covers the A-series prototypes with radial engines.

Miguel

• Like 1

I've been able to view this on a decent sized monitor now, it just looks better & better. 👍 Whose paints did you use for the RLM72 & 73, they look very good on this to my eye & suit the scale really well. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1

That looks absolutely beautiful Miguel, and you've got great skills with the brush.

Was it an enjoyable build? I mean, were thee any pitfalls in the kit I should keep an eye out for?

• Thanks 1