1/72nd New Airfix Mosquito converted using Freightdog Models parts,...... Part 2 (PR.34 & PR.XVI),.. **FINISHED**

tonyot

Hi Tony, its taken me this long to realise that this was a new thread, you know, as a last resort read the instructions, or the thread heading in this case. :( I'm very impressed at these, seems a long time since I saw the original Airfix Mosquito converted to a PR.XVI in the old Airfix mag by Alan Hall, lashings of Balsa, dope & talcum powder, with Beaufighter wheels to replace the horrible skinny space saver wheels it had. You've so impressed me with this 653rd machine build that I've just bought the last Ventura sheet for these from John Stone at Jays. Now to get my hands on some of these kits, none of my go tos show them in stock & they don't seem to have made it this far yet. Keep up the good work mate. 👍

Steve.

• Like 1

Cracking progress Tony - both looking lovely! I hadn't realised quite how pronounced was the bulge of the bomb bay doors on this these versions,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Hi Tony, its taken me this long to realise that this was a new thread, you know, as a last resort read the instructions, or the thread heading in this case. :( I'm very impressed at these, seems a long time since I saw the original Airfix Mosquito converted to a PR.XVI in the old Airfix mag by Alan Hall, lashings of Balsa, dope & talcum powder, with Beaufighter wheels to replace the horrible skinny space saver wheels it had. You've so impressed me with this 653rd machine build that I've just bought the last Ventura sheet for these from John Stone at Jays. Now to get my hands on some of these kits, none of my go tos show them in stock & they don't seem to have made it this far yet. Keep up the good work mate. 👍

Steve.

Cheers Steve,.... and well done getting a sheet,...... hope you manage to get a kit soon. You`ll need some flat bomb bay doors as well,..... and the Freightdog set fits the kit very well. Not sure whether Colin has any kits in stock, it is worth a check. 

9 hours ago, Beard said:

After seeing your experience, I did. *hurries off to check again*

LOL,...... hope yours is OK mate?

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

Cracking progress Tony - both looking lovely! I hadn't realised quite how pronounced was the bulge of the bomb bay doors on this these versions,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,...... yeah the bulge is huge,..... it makes it look aggressive and apparently only cut the speed by 6 mph. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beard said:

It is and I cannot, for the life of me, understand how your one was released into the wild.

Must have been a Friday afternoon kit mate,....... the one with the canopy problem I can understand,..... it looked as if it had been sanded but would have been hrd to spot,....... but a fuselage with so much plastic missing is the worst I`ve had. Saying that,.... the Airfix parts dept were quick to send me a replacement part,..... if a little `grumpy' about it,...... but their Customer Services have been superb and even sent me a new Vampire kit today to say sorry,..... so I cannot complain about that,..... it was extremely nice of them. 

• Like 4

Well,.... almost there with these two now,..... decals on,..... panel lines weathered,..... undercarriage added (I lost a wheel, so used a pair of resin wheels- cheers again Lee- on the USAAF a/c),......  just need to add some exhaust streaks, weather the tyres, add the internal framework to the canopies and fit the clear parts;

DSCF2623-NEW.jpg

DSCF2625-NEW.jpg

DSCF2627-NEW.jpg

DSCF2630-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 22

12 hours ago, Bedders said:

They're both looking fantastic Tony, particularly the one bearing your personal code letters...!

Justin

Ah you noticed!! LOL,.... Cheers Bedders. 

11 hours ago, Dunny said:

Looking lovely Tony - near the finish line now! Love the overpainted roundels on the US a/c,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger. 

On 11/18/2021 at 9:08 AM, heloman1 said:

Looking good mate.

Coin

Thanks Colin. 

On 11/18/2021 at 12:51 PM, bigbadbadge said:

They look absolutely fabulous Tony  that's quite a  collection of Mossies now, good to hear Airfix sent a gift too.

Great work fella 

Chris

Cheers Chris,..... yeah it was very kind of them,..... nice kit the new Vampire too,.... I put it together in a day! Still got to sand it etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

Cheers Chris,..... yeah it was very kind of them,..... nice kit the new Vampire too,.... I put it together in a day! Still got to sand it etc.

Good grief in one day!!! Your a machine !!! It is a nice kit, mine arrived Monday , very pleased

Chris

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Man, I can't keep up with you. Your output is incredible. That said, I'm really liking these new Mosquitos. Great stuff Tony!    👍

Cheers,

Bill

LOL,.... Cheers Bill,..... yes it is a lovely kit,..... especially when you get two whole fuselage halves! 

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Good grief in one day!!! Your a machine !!! It is a nice kit, mine arrived Monday , very pleased

Chris

It is the Elves mate,..... cracking the whip! Glad you are happy with your Vampire too,..... I`m thinking of making mine as a FB.5 or 9? The parts are there,..... I`m pretty sure the Ailerons were the same for all versions,.... is that correct?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tonyot said:

It is the Elves mate,..... cracking the whip! Glad you are happy with your Vampire too,..... I`m thinking of making mine as a FB.5 or 9? The parts are there,..... I`m pretty sure the Ailerons were the same for all versions,.... is that correct?

The Elves😄 they are very demanding fella.  An FB.5 or 9, nice  yes I saw the parts too, although I love the look of the F.3 and so will do the F.3 for this one, although I wonder if we will get a Sea Vampire??? Please Airfix, that would be great.

Chris

• Like 1

On 11/20/2021 at 8:28 AM, bigbadbadge said:

The Elves😄 they are very demanding fella.  An FB.5 or 9, nice  yes I saw the parts too, although I love the look of the F.3 and so will do the F.3 for this one, although I wonder if we will get a Sea Vampire??? Please Airfix, that would be great.

Chris

Hiya Chris,......I work the Elves hard mate,.... but they start their job with Santa next week! 

I like the F.3,..... but it is finding a scheme that I haven`t done,...... I might even do that nice Canadian one for a change as I do prefer the early wing shape. A Sea Vampire would be nice but probably too niche,..... maybe a cottage industry firm will do a conversion though?

• Like 2

Right then,.... I`m calling this done,.... I`ve finished off adding the internal framework to the canopy but having photographed the PR.34,... I might remove the side blisters and re fit them,..... my eyes are struggling these days!

Here are the models;

DSCF2688-NEW.jpg

DSCF2691-NEW.jpg

PR.34;

DSCF2683-NEW.jpg

DSCF2657-NEW.jpg

DSCF2661-NEW.jpg

DSCF2675-NEW.jpg

DSCF2672-NEW-NEW.jpg

PR,XVI;

DSCF2648-NEW.jpg

DSCF2650-NEW.jpg

DSCF2641-NEW.jpg

DSCF2642-NEW.jpg

DSCF2644-NEW.jpg

And here are all four Airfix Mossies together;

DSCF2692-NEW.jpg

Cheers for your support again,..... I`ll stick a few RFI`s in later,

All the best,

Tony

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• tonyot changed the title to 1/72nd New Airfix Mosquito converted using Freightdog Models parts,...... Part 2 (PR.34 & PR.XVI),.. **FINISHED**

Those look fabulous Tony, the front two are definitely on my list, the others, I'll have to see, the Airfix Model World with the poster in it turned up out here recently, there was a lot of temptation in the profiles on it. :) You set a very bad example for the easily tempted among us. :D 

Steve.

• Like 1