Revell Hurricane IIB 1/32

IT_Man

Is it so hard to say “I’m sorry, I made a mistake, I’ll wait until I see a real kit or a built model before I write it off or slag off the designers and makers next time…”?

I don’t care if you agree with me. It’s the assumption that the people doing their day jobs to keep us in the plastic we love made an egregious mistake and don’t care that rankles…

For us, it’s a choice whether to add something to the stash, mostly. For them, it’s their job, their livelihood, food on their family dining table. So maybe credit them with the assumption they take it seriously?

Best,

M.

• Like 7

In the spirit of fairness and transparency, I would like to include a quote from the last comments made by Radu Briznan (Radub) himself on the LSP forum regarding the new Hurricane Revell pictures:

"- The model shown by Revell is built correctly. Due to the breakdown of parts it is impossible to build the model with "zero dihedral". Even if there was some way to build it with "zero dihedral" by accident or incompetence, there would be gaps in all kinds of places. How can one make angles in parts disappear without repercussions?  As I explained already, what you see in the photos from Revell is an optical artifact caused by the camera angle. I have the model in hand now, I can replicate that "look" just by turning it in my hand. 

There is nothing wrong with the Revell model, it is all geometry and optics."

Edited by JFM148
  • Like 2

@cmatthewbacon let's agree to disagree. 

As I have said earlier, the pictures taken and posted on Social media don't do the model justice.

The fact Radu had to post another pic showing the 'proper' dihedral is in my opinion supporting that.

• Like 1

On 19/11/2022 at 00:31, Troy Smith said:

I can think of 3 period photos with lowered flaps, and one of those was a test aircraft.   And a Sea hurricane with wedged flaps.   Pilots who forgot to raise them got 'fined' a round of drinks.   So dropped flaps are not a sensible feature IMO.   

maybe there's a diorama in there with a pilot that's getting laughed at by his fellows while they point at the flaps... 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Fresh from Brett´s What´s New - Hyperscale . This was built by Dieter "Conny" Wiegmann who constructs pre series testshots for the box-photos you find on Revell kits. Dieter does this job since decades now. One of his finest and hardest jobs was the 32nd scale Super Hornet which consistet roughly 50% of putty due to the bad quality of the first testshots.

hurricaneiib32dw_3.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

54 minutes ago, ABeck said:

Fresh from Brett´s What´s New - Hyperscale . This was built by Dieter "Conny" Wiegmann who constructs pre series testshots for the box-photos you find on Revell kits. Dieter does this job since decades now. One of his finest and hardest jobs was the 32nd scale Super Hornet which consistet roughly 50% of putty due to the bad quality of the first testshots.

hurricaneiib32dw_3.jpg

I note that it has all the guns a IIB needs and in the correct alignment as well, so we needn't have worried

48 minutes ago, John Laidlaw said:

No worries at all.

looks really neat.  I'd like to see the sprues, just to see if it has a tropical filter.  

Markings are uninspired, and the interior should be mostly aluminium paint, apart from the rear cockpit bulkhead and upper cockpit walls.

16 minutes ago, Learstang said:

As somewhat of an uninterested observer, it looks rather nice in those photographs.

Think of all those VVS options :whistle: 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Think of all those VVS options :whistle: 

You got me there, Troy! I just a few days ago received the beautiful ICM 1/32nd scale Yak-9T kit. This would be another 1/32nd scale fighter to add to my growing list of Soviet fighters (MiG-3, Yak-9T, I-153, and I-16). Hopefully someone will do some decals for a VVS version. Hmmm, I wonder how difficult it would be to convert into one with the ShVAK cannon and UBK machine gun armament?

Best Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

Hmmm, I wonder how difficult it would be to convert into one with the ShVAK cannon and UBK machine gun armament?

Easy.  Add relevant barrels, and the new plates under the wing.   Just pick one with the right exhausts and tailwheel and spinner, the kit spinner I presume is the ES/9 type...   

see for more on the regunning

http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=881.0

52512877207_a107f3c051_b.jpgHurricane VVS armament plan view by losethekibble, on Flickr

in particular note the dimension from the centre, they are slightly asymmetric 

52513896053_75b001a05c_b.jpgHurrican soviet armament layout by losethekibble, on Flickr

Hurricane-II-USSR-Soviet-pilot-climbing-

this well known image you can see the outer cannon barrels are highter than the UBT mg, and just see the plates round the UBT muzzle.   

Note this a Canadian Hurricane, or has the radiator from one.   

There was also a Soviet made air filter, used later 

36332051936_bedd7c8f4f_c.jpg

Hurricane Soviet air filter_zpseti9uhtf by losethekibble, on Flickr

the filter is seen on '96' in the background

Hurricane-USSR-78IAP-Capt-Vasiliy-Adonki

Edited by Troy Smith
additions
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for the plans, Troy! Of course, Massimo's site would be a great source for all of this. Now I have to see if I can find some RS-82 rockets and rails (I could pinch some from my I-16 and/or I-153 kits, but I don't want to do that). Well, this Hurricane isn't even available yet, is it, so I'm getting ahead of myself.

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. A quick search shows that Brengun make some resin rockets and rails, eight per set. Nice!

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

As can clearly be seen, the dihedral is fine

I'm not entirely convinced. The picture showing the dihedral has a perfect straight line across the upper surfaces, whereas tips should be slightly above the root. At least they are on Arthur Bentley's drawings. :shrug:

AL9nZEV_6PmBYyuQe10op0yUB5LC6Ppc_ZjRGFjw

However, overall the detail does look really nice.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 8:33 PM, Bertie McBoatface said:

Whether it's a poor test shot, poorly assembled or a complete snafu, releasing pictures of it like these was not really a good move I think.

Let's just hope the reviews redeem it when it gets on the bench. Very much agreed that these images are damaging to sale prospects.

Keith 

• Like 1

I am pleased to hear that the model is better than first thought. Also pleased that it is a IIb as I used to work at Longbridge years ago and the Austin Motor Company manufactured a batch of 300 of these machines, so I will make one of that batch. I think one of these still exists in a Russian museum. Most went to Russia, some of which were apparently lost on route due to convoy losses. Some were diverted as RAF replacements.

The late John Baker created a site called Austin Memories and the link below shows the aircraft built at Longbridge and ends with a video showing assembly and test.

http://www.austinmemories.com/styled-20/index.html

Edited by Flintstone
  • Like 2