Finnish MiG 21 bis, Fujimi 1/72

Brad

So this will be my entry, a little late but I did manage to finish a model before starting this so it's all good. I did think this was an MF but it's a bis, a few differences there.  I really like the box art too and was thinking of building her wheels up as you get a nice pilot with the kit too.

qooAAse.jpg?1

• Like 7

It is most kind of you to choose the Mig so I have to be the first to take a seat. No cushion, though as the cat doesn't want to part from it. Told him I needed it to look at a fish-bed but he just yawned.

Nice artwork.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome along Brad, and great to see a Finish MiG-21 in the build. :thumbsup:

I really do like this scheme, has to be one of my favourite MiG-21 schemes...... after the Czech "Splinter" MiG-21 :D

Good luck with her, and I agree wheels up will look cool!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Plodding along, the pilot figure is quite nice as you can see he will look good under the canopy.

jUMyVUD.jpg

I ended up using the decals for the controls and instrument panel. They will look fine. Fuselage is now drying, clean up should be pretty minimal. 

xFbhC5v.jpg?1

• Like 6

Still plugging away. I painted and glued the front dash on and started gluing the wings and fin together. No clean up yet though, but it will be minimal as the fit is pretty good.

SFnHVRs.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

you're making some nice progress on her, that cockpit colour looks just right....... though I would really hate to have to spend any time in a cockpit that colour...... despite their reasoning for that colour! :sick:

Hopefully you'll be able to complete her on time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I got kinda busy last week before Christmas doing all those things I'd put off, but I did managed to get in a bit of modelling. Now with the extension I will probably be able to finish this.

6bCBVxb.jpg

Things progressed rather well, however the undercarriage gear doors don't fit the wheel wells,, so my idea to do her wheels up would require considerable work, thus I scrapped that idea. I have a pilot in her but that's ok. As you can see she's sitting up with minimal work required on all the joints.

paC4BPC.jpg

• Like 6

Doing some NYE modelling since it's about 37C today in Australia and I'm not one to be out partying tonight really. I did the grey undersurface a few days ago, masked up and painted the upper light green, which Isreali light green seemed to work well.

NGL88zQ.jpg

Up on her wheels and I painted the brown, a mix of dark green and olive drab, although I think I should have added a bit more dark brown or maybe a drop of black, But it looks ok enough.....also got in some light refreshments tonight. I still have the Atolls, drop tank and jet pipe to paint.

pTz7mDS.jpg?1

• Like 7

Gloss and decals applied. The decals are fairly good, thin enough and sit down nicely when left to dry. They do give you a sheet of generic numbers so you can in theory do any Finnish Bis that you want. I just went with the box option. Just weapons, drop tank, weathering and matt left to do, along with some touch ups here and there. 

rWKsCXL.jpg

BaRT9ql.jpg?1

• Like 8

Managed to finish her off this morning. Good thing there was the extension! These Fujimi migs are pretty solid kits, although in some boxings (the SMT especially) the accuracy is lacking. I have several more in the stash. Thanks for following along, several more pictures are in the gallery;

PFTbrb8.jpg

• Like 5

Well done Brad on finishing her, she looks great! :thumbsup:

It's one of my favourite schemes for the MiG-21, I really should build one, one day.

I hope you enjoyed the build, was great to have you along  and glad you managed to complete her in time.

• Like 1