Mercedes-Benz SSKL, Matchbox 1:32 + scratch built and 3d printed bits.

My first car build in over 35 years is finally finished! It's been a long build as I have had other priorities on the bench alongside it, but it's been fun!

The kit was a Chinese repop, and the plastic was very soft and not easy to work with, but a little patience saw it done. The basic kit is not too bad as a base but I modified/scratch built quite a few items which I thought needed improving.

The obvious ones are the wheels! The kit items are truly awful and I did have a good try at modifying them, but in the end gave up and designed my own. I printed rims, hubs, and knock-offs, and am happy with how they turned out (a first effort at 3d printing!). They are threaded with 0.1mm fishing line: 3 rows per wheel, 28 spokes per row, 6 wheels! Needless to say that took quite a while, but it was well worth the effort.

Other scratch parts: Radiator stoneguard, front chassis tie bar/crank handle bracket, all mudguard and headlamp brackets, front mudguard stoneguards, brake drums, steering mechanism, front shock linkages, tool box/bag, dashboard, handbrake, foot pedals, hood frame, bonnet catches and handles, exhaust brackets.

Modified kit parts: front chassis crossmember, windscreens, fuel filler cap, mudguards, chassis frames (drilled out), tyres (cut a chunk out and reglued them to give a smaller diameter), right side bonnet panels and filler panels under the exhausts.

Build log is here.

I hope you like her!

51647410645_83a7dc595f_c.jpg

51647410670_c739bea46a_c.jpg

51647410765_7597edb327_c.jpg

51645728037_6a424bb82f_c.jpg

51647410700_b7bc7ab4c4_c.jpg

51647410790_7b32e5c672_c.jpg

51646555966_4194d46b46_c.jpg

51647211409_0cb10ef6eb_c.jpg

51647211464_b6a7670e1e_c.jpg

51646776083_b439036731_c.jpg

51647211549_a5ddb8b653_c.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Ian

• Like 47

An absolute gem of a build Ian. All that extra work on printing has taken this to the next level, along with all that ravishing metalwork and paint.

Inspiring to see work of such quality. :clap2:

• Like 1

What an amazing result Ian! Watching the WIP, I was so very impressed with the amount of work you have put into it, from scratch building to 3D design and production. A true master class to watch it all come together.

Inspiring stuff!

Terry

• Like 1

That's rather spesh, that is. I now know that I'll never start mine, as it would inevitably result in acute disappointment when I failed to make it look half as good as this, even if I had the resin bits, which I don't, nor the time or skill to do the scratch work. 

Lovely, and so good to see it finished! 

• Like 1

*cloonck*

What reads a bit awkward is a lame attempt to give an impression of the sound my jaw just made when it hit the ground in sheer wonder. Or, to bring in a term which so rarely fits, but here: I'm flabbergasted!

You truly honored and raised this venerable kit (and beloved childhood memory) to a new level.

I bow my head to thee, sir! 🎩

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So much positive feedback, many thanks everyone!

I do think it could be better, in fact I KNOW it could be better, but I truly appreciate how much you all like it. Knowing I've built something that fellow modellers appreciate is a wonderful feeling. Having said that, I like it, so even if you lot didn't I'd still be happy! 😁

If any one wants a set of the wheels, please message me and I'll see what we can do.

PS I do find it amusing that everyone thinks this is small. My usual scale is 1:72! 

20201222_150940

Ian

• Like 9

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...