New KP Spitfires

fishplanebeer

Does any one know if all 4 kits of the 'new' KP Spitfire Mk1 are the same in terms of the box contents but just having different decals, which KP often do, or do they vary according to the version specified on the box lid?

I've bought the 'commanders' version (yet to arrive) and was thinking perhaps I should have gone for the Watts 2-blade prop one instead to build a much earlier example, but if it has the same parts then I won't have to bother buying the other one as well.

Regards

Colin.

Looks like you get the Watts propeller on the sprue with the machine-gun wings, judging by the sprue shots here (Scoll down to post 5):

Edited by Beard
to correct spelling.
  • Thanks 1

Just the one canopy type in a box, I'm afraid. But the 'three blade' box (KPM0261) has the original straight flat canopy and would also allow you to build a Watts therefore. 

• Thanks 1

Just opened my 'Commanders' example and as you say, just the later style canopy but I may be able to rob my Airfix kit that has both types or perhaps the Rob Taurus version may fit with a bit of filling around the front windscreen area. The way KP have done the canopy, with the front windscreen also including part of the fuselage, means fitting a replacement is not quite so straightforward but still possible.

General impressions from just looking at the kit is that it's the same (good) quality as their recent Vb offerings and with the Watts prop included you now have 4 to choose from so plenty of scope for making the first 'Kiwi' KL+B with the Rotol prop and spinner. Decals seem to have good register but first my impression is that they are quite thick compared with those in other recent kits from other manufacturers but nothing that a strong decal solution and decent varnish can't sort.

All in all for me it's a welcome addition to the stable of early marque Spitfire kits even if it's not quite to Eduard or Arma standards.

Regards

Colin.

• Like 3