Brewster model 339D

I have decided to end the year with this kit. I had started it at the same time as the B-10, but the bomber took so much work that I set the fighter aside. I have begun to modify a Pavla interior kit to fit this model. I have got some detail parts to go with it, wheels, the correct tail cone and a Quick Boost engine. It will be done in the same Dutch camo as the B-10. The Glen Martin will have a little friend! Maybe this will keep me busy until the group builds begin. 

spacer.png

• Like 9

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Looks like it, W8142 NF-N... so it should have B-398 (strictly speaking a B-339C)

I was not sure which aircraft those decals depicted. So far they are the only ones I have been able to get. 

1 hour ago, Bill Davis said:

I was not sure which aircraft those decals depicted. So far they are the only ones I have been able to get. 

NF was the Codes for 488 (NZ) Squadron. Not seen a 488 Sqn Buffalo with "N"

W8142  served with 243 Squadron Codes WP-? (from Joe Baugher Site)

Both 243 and 488 Squadrons were stationed at Kallang in Singapore circa 1941

Hope that helps?

Regards

Alan

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Hook said:

Ooh, a Buffalo! 

Those are the Matchbox decals?

Cheers,

Andre

Dutch profiles makes decals for the model 339 I found out. The only place that I have found that stocks them is hannants . I might have to get up a list and make a order.

5 hours ago, Bill Davis said:

Dutch profiles makes decals for the model 339 I found out. The only place that I have found that stocks them is hannants . I might have to get up a list and make a order.

You'd want Dutch Decal 72090. A very nice sheet indeed.

Alternatively, Hobby 2000's Hase rebox has a lovely Dutch option as well.

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Hook said:

You'd want Dutch Decal 72090. A very nice sheet indeed.

Alternatively, Hobby 2000's Hase rebox has a lovely Dutch option as well.

Cheers,

Andre

I ordered 72090 today. I am sure they are better than the decals I have now. I used the same brand of decals on my B-10 and they worked great.

• Like 1

Lovely! Such a cool plane. Built that kit (or another boxing) a few years ago. My father found it for almost nothing ina  flea market and I built it OOB - I still remember masking that canpoy while watching probably the whole The Living Daylights..! :D ;)

Will be a bit more interesting to see you make it with some aftermarket. :)

• Like 1

I got the fuselage together. It required some filling and sanding, but not too bad for a kit of this era. I had to fill in the AIrfix logo on the inside of the wing as this would have shown through the wheel well.spacer.png

• Like 3

On 10/11/2021 at 16:47, Bill Davis said:

I have a Pavla interior for a Hasegawa Buffalo. I am modifying it to fit the Airfix Kit. I will add a oil wash ,before I glue everything together.

On 11/11/2021 at 08:10, Hook said:

Good job fitting that resin in a kit it wasn't intended for! 

Cheers,

Andre 

I wonder if it could be made/butchered to fit the venerable Matchbox Buffalo......

Cheers,

Mark

I cut the original navel tail cone off and fitted a model 339 tail cone. This was intended for a Hasegawa kit, but with enough cutting, filing, putty and sanding I got it to fit. I also glued the upper and lower wings together and puttied the seams.

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The first kit I got of the F2F was by Revell. After reading this article; https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/us/usn/bakerf2a.htm , I decided to get the Airfix kit and use some of the Revell parts. The Airfix cowling is too short. The Revell is closer to scale. The Revell cowling is a good fit up and down, but is noticeably wider. It would only be attached at the top and bottom. I cut the Airfix cowling down and made it into an adaptor ring.  The scale drawings show that the cowling is bulged and tapers back toward the fuselage. So, I trimmed and sanded the Revell cowl so that it would fit the fuselage better. I got the wings and tail glued on. It’s beginning to look like an airplane now. 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 6

Nice! I have a pair of the Hobby 2000 reboxes of the Hase kit, and they were nice enough to include all sprues Hasegawa puts in different boxings so you get two full cowlings and propellors. I might adapt some surplus parts to my Airfix. 

Cheers,

Andre

• Like 3

DP Casper produces a comprehensive set 

DP Casper 72009 Java sea: from January to March 1942

Aircraft covered in this set with info that i managed to find on them. If there is any additional info or correction needed please do tell.
I did a bit of a research on aircraft provided in this set as after reading Bloody shambles trilogy I had a rather sneaking suspicion that not all aircraft were operating in given time and space of the decal sheet (Java sea from january to march 1942).
Notes on sources: If not specificly included at the end of text the shorthened name for my 2 primary sources with page number is provided.
-Bh-Sh = Bloody Shambles volumes 1,2 and 3 by Christopher Shores, Brian Cull and Yasuho Izawa
-EFTP = Eyes for the Phoenix – Allied Aerial Photo-Recconaissance Operations South-East Asia 1941-1945 by Geoffrey J. Thomas which can be found here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/156944140/Eye

- P.C. Boer = Hawker Hurricane emergency shipments for Singapore, Burma. Ceylon and the Netherlands East Indies, December 1941-April 1942 (2015 last revised May 2018)

1. A6M2 type 21 (V-126) of Tainan Kokutai IJN, Dutch East Indies, February 1942
Flown by NAP3/C Toshiaki Honda (profile in Aero Detail No.7)

2. Ki-27b of 77.Sentai 3rd Chutai IJAAF: pilot 3.Chutai CO Taii (capt.) Joshiro Kuwabara
in action dec.1941 over Malaya then based Thailand for action over Burma (marking same as in SpecialHobby 32040 Ki-27b kit but camo scheme is a bit different from top)

3. Ki-44 prototype series (No.4408) of 47. Dokuritsu Chutai 3. Shotai IJAAF, Saigon airfield French Indochina, December 1941 - January 1942
8 prototype built. Flown by Taii (capt.) Yasuhiko Kuroe Based Saigon for operations over Malaya, then in Thailand for operations over Burma

4. Ki-43-I of 64. Sentai IJAAF, southern Malaya, begginig of february 1942
Possibly aircraft of Sōchō (sgt.maj.) Choichi Okuyama which was shot down on 7. Feb. 1942 by Plt Off »Red« Campbell (Hurricane 258.Sqn) over Pelembang aifield (Bl-Sh Vol.2 page 66, photo page 67)

5. Ki-30 of 31. Sentai 2nd chutai IJAAF, Thailand, february 1942
based in Thailand for operations over Burma (photo Bl-Sh Vol.2 page 258). This unit previously operated over Malaya and NEI.

6. G3M2 (G-321) of Genzan Kokutai 2nd Chutai (possible also 3rd Chutai) IJN, Saigon airfield French Indochina, December 10th, 1941
Note on camo: aircraft sometimes depicted as natural metal undersides and sometimes as lt.gray as in instructions

7. G4M1 (K-310) of Kanoya Kokutai 3rd Chutai IJN, Tu Dau Moi airfield French Indochina, late 1941 early 1942
Flown by CO of Kanoya kokutai Tai-i (capt.) Haruki Iki (he was buntaicho). He piloted this aircraft during attack on HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse. This aircraft was transferred to 3rd Chutai from the 1st chutai.

Note: lack of doors of the bombs bay (from secondary source: Wings Pallete site)
Note on camo: aircraft sometimes depicted as natural metal undersides and sometimes as lt.gray as in instructions

8. C5M2 (V-16) of Tainan Kokutai IJN
Acctually of 22. Koku Sentai Shireibu Fuzoku Sentokitai (22nd Air Flotilla Headquarters Attached Fighter Unit) an as-hoc fighter unit established for operations over Malaya-NEI made up of detachments of 23. Koku Sentai (established for operations over Phillipines), which was itself made up from detachment of Tainan Kokutai and a detachment of 3. Kaigun Kokutai. (Both units participated with A6M2s, A5M4s and some C5M1/2's with some added from reserves). Unit operated over Malaya and Dutch East indies.
Note on aircraft: Coulor profile on instructions says C5M1 but the profile itself is that of C5M2. Units operated both subtypes at the same time so it could be either, but it was C5M2. Photo can be found here: https://www.j-aircraft.org/smf/index.php?topic=6205.0

9. F1M2 (ZI-10) of Kamikawa Maru IJN
Unit operated over Malaya and Dutch east Indies.
On 19 December 1941 Japanese invasion forces were operating on the northern part of Borneo. Glenn Martin bombers from 2-VIG-I (based at Singkawang) and 1-VIG-I (based at Samarinda) attacked Japanese shipping off Miri during the morning. These were intercepted by F1M2s from Kamikawa Maru and four floatplanes intercepted the separate trios of bombers appearing at 15 minute intervals. Warrant Officer Yatomaru (ZI-16) and NAP 2/C Hosono (ZI-10) attacked and shot down the third bomber of the first flight. This was Glenn Martin M-571 of 2-VIG-I, flown by Lieutenant J. H. Groeneveld. One of the crew was being seen to bale out. They also claimed hits on a second bomber were they believed that the gunner was killed.

10. B-339C (B-3100) of 2-VLG-V ML KNIL, Singapore, early december 1941
Shot down on 12. January 1942 by Ki-27s of 12.Sentai over Singapore. Pilot 1st lt. August Deibel claimed 2 shot down but was shot down himself and bailed out slightly wounded. (Bl-Sh Vol.1 page 290)

11. B-339C (E, B-395) of 2-VLG-V ML KNIL
Captured by japanese at fall of Java. (Photo Bl-Sh Vol.2 page 440)
Note on camo: markings of type introduced on 24. February 1942. Java Rhinoceros painted out.

12. Buffalo Mk I (GA-P, W8163) of 2-VLG-V ML KNIL, Java, March 1942.
This is ex No.21 Sqn, RAAF fighter which was taken over by Dutchmen at Singapore, captured by japanese at fall of Java (Photo Bl-Sh Vol.2 page 440)
Note on camo: aircraft is in standard RAF Buffalo camouflage and markings with dutch national markings of type introduced on 24. February 1942 replacing RAF roundels only.

13. H-75A-7 (C.332) of 1-VLG-IV ML KNIL, Madioen Netherlands East Indies, December 1941
Aircraft of 1st.Lt.W.Boxman. On February 5th, 1942 aircraft was shot down, but pilot Sgt.Hermens survived (WingsPalette site) Shot down over Madoera Island by NA 1/ Tamekichi Ohtsuki (A6M2 of 3. Kokutai,1st Chutai, 2nd Shotai). Damaged totally destroyed in crash-landing pilot sgt.Hermens unhurt (Bl-Sh Vol.2 page 161)
Note on decals: Small black numbers 332 for wing leading edges not present

14. Hurricane Mk IIb (Z5664) of 2-VLG-IV ML KNIL, Ngoro/Blimbing airfield Java, late february 1942,
1st march 1942 sgt. De Wilde force-landed this aircraft near Bedjonegare after being hit by ground fire during straffing attack on japanese landing force at Kragan/Rembang area on eastern Java (Bh-Sh Vol.2 page 303)

As per P.C. Boer shiped on HMS Athene from Takoradi to India and from there to Java. Reassembled by ML KNIL personnel at Kemajoran airfield or outskirts of Batavia Java. Arrived at Tjililtan 14.02.1942 to 488.Sq on 21.02.1942 to 605. Sq lost or abandoned before 09.03.1942

15. P-40E of 1-VLG-IV ML KNIL
Note on camo: markings of type introduced on 24. February 1942. Standard US camouflage OD/NG

16. WH-2 (M538) of 2-VLG-III ML KNIL, Tjililitan airfield western Java, early february 1942
One of the aircrfat on film made on Kallang airfield (Malaya) at the begining of the war (a film link).
Cought in air about to land on Tjililitan airfield (with M537) by A6M2s (22. Koku Hombu = air flotilla) on 9.feb.1942 when returning from training flight. M538 was shot down and crashed near Bakasi. Entire crew of sgt.maj. L.M. Galistan lost. Other WH-2 (M537) returning from patrol over Christmas Island shot down crash-landed neat Tangerang, 2nd lt. Hagers crew surviving (Bl-Sh Vol.2 page169, photo page 169)
Note on decals: Small black numbers 538 for wing leading edges not present.
Note on camo: This aircraft should be in standard 2 green tone colour scheme. Confirmation of 2 tone scheme is on the film link. Undersides could be Alumunium dope or dutch light gray check the link at the bottom of the page.
Some very good close up shots of this aircraft which also confirm 2 tone green upper camouflage scheme are in second half of this film about Dutch in Malaya (even if film title says Burma it is Kallang airfield Malaya in early december) from minute 6:00 to 7:04 i.e. bombing up of M539:
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/dutch ... burma-1942

17. WH-2 (M524) of 2-VLG-III ML KNIL
Written off after emergency landing due to engine failure
Source: http://kw.jonker.co/index.php?option=co ... =2&lang=en
Note on decals: Small black numbers 524 for wing leading edges not present
Note on camo: markings of type introduced on 24. February 1942

18. PBY-5 (Y-38) of GVT-17 MLD
On 9 Feb 1942 on shipping patrol had to make emergency landing at Westervaarwater near Sourabaya taken in tow, damaged by it's tug and subsequently sank (Bl-Sh page 168)
Note on camo: Camouflage should Donkerblauwgrijs (Dark Blue Grey) on top i.e. same as that of Do-24K and not dark earth
(source: http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2 ... 02.htm#MLD 1940-1945 )

19. Do-24K-1 (X-24, Dornier Werk Nr.785) of GVT-7 MLD, late february early march 1942
May 5th 1939 flown from Germany to Papendrecht as D-AYWI.
May 1939 shipped from Rotterdam to the Dutch East Indies on board of the »Blitar« entering service as X-24.
Autumn 1941 served with the training school at Morokembangan.
February 1942 became part of GVT 7 and was flown to Lake Grati.
March 2nd 1942 flown to Australia, arriving at Port Hedland for fuel.
March 3rd 1942 arrived at Broome just after the Japanese attack there had past. Made flights between Australia, Tanibar, Kai and Aroe for the NEFIS (Netherlands Forces Intelligence Service) and NICA
March 7th 1942 flown from Broome to Perth.
June 8th 1943 handed over to the RAAF entering service there as A49-6.
May 14th 1944 put into storage at No.1 Flyingboat Repair Depot at Lake Boga.
December 20th 1944 scrapped due to lack of parts.
Info and photos on http://www.dornier24.com/
Note on camo: markings of type introduced on 24. February 1942.

20. Buffalo Mk I (TD-F, AN213) of No.453. Sqn RAAF, Sembawang Singapore Malaya, november 1941, personal aircraft of Sqn.Ldr W.J. Harper
Posibly also aircraft in which F/L Tim A. Vigors DFC was shot down:
During morning of 13. Dec. 1942 patrol of 5 Buffalos under leadership of F/L Tim A. Vigors DFC (flying AN213) was sent to Ipoh where all landed safely and from there patrol of 6 aircraft (1 aborted and returned to Ipoh) to Butterworth. Patrol just landed there when Ki-27s of 1. and 11. Sentais appeared over the airfield on fighter sweep. Vigors took off and was shot down over Penang mountains. Fuel tank was hit, cought fire and pilot bailed out. Pilot F/L Tim A. Vigors (RAF 33554) was badly burnt on the legs hands and arms and wounded in the thigh. Was staffed by Japanese fighter pilots as he descended in his parachute but survived (Bl-Sh Vol.1 pages 133-135)
Note on camo: Some reports say AN213 should be coded TD-Z

21. Hurricane Mk IIb (YB-B, BE171) of No.17. Sqn RAF, Mingaladon Burma in late January - late February 1942
This was aircraft of Sqn.Ldr Stone and was one of few in Burma to wear desert camo (hence type A reoundels above wings). This plane was used by Sqn.Ldr Frank Carey (CO of 135.Sqn) to shoot down Ki-27 (probably Sōchō (sgt.maj) Nagashima of 77. Sentai) over Mingaladon airfield on 29. January 1942 (Bh-Sh Vol.1 pages 270-272, EFTP page 28).
Aircraft was shot down by fighters (probably of 77. Sentai) on 26th February 1942 while on recce. mission over Sittang area flown by capt. A.D. Penton (army liason attached to the unit also a trained army cooperation pilot) who escaped injury and returned later to Mingaladon in an ox cart – (Bl-Sh vol.2 page 284, photo on page 262)

22. P-40E (white 14) of 17. PS (provisional) USAAF Ngoro airfield Java in february 1942,
flown by lt. Joseph. J. Kruzel one of most succesfull USAAF fighter pilots in SEA (photos Bh-Sh vol.2 pages 210, 213)

23. A-24 of 91.BS (lt.) 27.BG (lt) USAAF Ngoro airfield Java in february 1942,
Note on aircraft: for history of this unit http://forum.armyairforces.com/A24-Bans ... 59827.aspx

http://www.3rdattackgroup.org/operation-plum.php

http://www.3rdattackgroup.org/the-27th-reports.php

24. CA-3 Wirraway (GA-B, A20-47) of No.21.Sqn RAAF Malaya, late dec.1941
Aircraft was with 21.Sqn untill 02. Dec.1941. Then transfered to RAF Y Sqn (ex 151 MU) on 10. Jan.1942 Malaya. Aircraft was written off in march 1942 (info and photo ADF serials page, photo of GAoB with 8.Sqn Hudsons in 1940 Malaya)

25. Blenheim Mk I (MU-X, L8609) of No.60. Sqn RAF, Asansol, India, May 1942
far east early 1942. Reportedly lost on 17.05.1942. (photo EFTP page 17)

additional liks:
ML KNIL camo:
http://warbirdsforum.yuku.com/topic/565 ... izNMhi2iM8

Edited by TISO
  • Like 2

British pathee link to Dutch in Singapore doesn't work.

As said this is not Burma but Singapore just after the start of the war. Some nise footage of ML KNIL Buffalos and WH-2 bombers. Interestingly bombers are Glenn-Martin WH-2 and not WH-3 as many sources claim.

Here is the youtube:

Edited by TISO
  • Like 4

I doubt it is Burma, instead likely Singapore/Malaya

B3-106 (or B-3106) is shown here, that aircraft went with the deployment of 2-V to Kallang between December 9 and December 30 1941, and was lost in combat near Balikpapan January 24th 1942.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

This model has been delayed two months, first by a cold, then the holidays, Covid and a hospital stay. But I have started work on it. I have painted the underside aluminum and masked off the bottom. I have got the first coat of green on. Next will be to mask that off and apply olive drab.  spacer.png

• Like 6