ICM Do-17 Z-2, Do-215 B-5, Do-217 N-1

dov

Don't know the 217, but the 17 and 215 have an issue with the tail unit being represented somewhat simplified/inaccurate. There's a resin set that addresses the issue; this review explains the problem quite well: https://archive.aeroscale.net/review/10945/

No other major issues I can think of. Built the 215 a few years back, good decent kit. Somewhat heavy panel lines but nothing too bad.

• Like 2

I have had a great experience with the Do215 the canopy fit is superb and overall the kit is quite enjoyable to assemble. I would recommend the Revel Germany release as it included the 20mm gondola whilst the original ICM release did not. Not sure if the later ICM release was updated. Here is mine approaching the painting phase with paper seat belts added to an out of the box interior.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The teardrop shape on the lower cockpit window is from removing the fairing for the bomber version in the window. I'm pretty sure the Revell release fixed this as well.

• Like 1

Do the same tail issues extend to their 1/72 versions of the Do17 and Do215? I was thinking they might be what I build for the Do17 STGB in addition to my RS Models Do17F if it makes it through the Bunfight.

Oh, thank you Holzhamer, I will obey it. I am just wondering, how a new kit from a good company can be like this. My two Ju-88 with the rear cockpit comic is waiting to be build for ever. 

The Dornier serie I will do, I get over this summety of flaws.

Happy modelling 

Hi

Can't comment on the ICM accuracy, i have the ICM 215 and a few ju 88's

not got the dornier yet

waiting and hoping that they do a 217K with fritz X 

cheers

jerry 

Three issues on the ICM DO-17z, The engine cowl braces are completely wrong, the tail plane incidence control is missing and the 'beaver' tail is way too wide, and the cockpit is missing lots of structure and detail.

... see here ..

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235059108-best-148-do-17-and-148-he-111-bob-era/&tab=comments#comment-3414980

Edited by Tail-Dragon

Hello

Well, that's a helpful statement, the sum of all the comments.

Here, however, I have to be careful that the weighting of the statements does not slide into the negative.

It is always good to know where improvements can and should be made.

Just like missing pins on the gear.

The other way around, if you are too critical, you are absolutely not allowed to build anything.

It is important to practice some tolerance here.

The bar for this lies somewhere else with everyone.

Like in private life. No fellow human being is flawless.

I will try to solve the horizontal stabilizer at the Dornier in scratch.

I already have an idea.

Drawings that were missing from the other link have been deleted and are no longer available.

Happy modelling

• Like 1

Here is a discussion on Hyperscale concerning the ICM DO-17.

I posted lots of reference drawings and photo's there, including fixes for the tail.

Hyperscale discussion

spacer.png

spacer.png

ICM clearly misinterpreted photo's of the engine pushrods as cowl braces, and produced a wildly inaccurate part 38 above.

spacer.png

a corrected tail on the Classic Airframes kit (same problem)

spacer.png

spacer.png

The same tail issues were carried over to the DO-215 (I have that kit as well)

The level of accuracy you want in a kit is a personal choice, but if the question is 'is it accurate?', it is not.

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 1

Hallo

My way to solve the tail problem:

The horizontal stabilizer set on 0 degree. The range is for trimming. If not equal zero you see it as on your pictures with the resin A.M. parts. If it is level, the eye will not catch it easy. Second is the fairing on the downside. This I will add. If the fuselage body itself needs a correction,  I will add the needed material by evergreen sheet. This is my way, to get it done. No more money to spend.

For the Ju 88 I am in contact for the resin A.M. product. So that I can build 5 German twins.

Anyway, thanks for posting all the pictures again!

Happy modelling