Airfix 1/48th DH Chipmunk

On 10/31/2021 at 7:40 PM, gazza l said:

Had a few fit issues with the wing to fuselage joints and the known droopy wings which I overcame with some careful tweaking and hot water.

Beautiful work mate!

The point you make is the only thing that keeps me from buying this kit. In the past I have bought quite a few of the new moulds and each time I've experienced the point you make. 

Looking forward for your next build!!

Cheers

Bill

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gazza l said:

'm not sure when the large rudder codes first appeared, it  just says 1970's on the decal placement sheet.

More like 1980s or even 1990s, definitely not 70s.

• Like 1

On 01/11/2021 at 19:21, gazza l said:

Thanks Mike.

I'm not sure when the large rudder codes first appeared, it  just says 1970's on the decal placement sheet. I don't remember them being on the rudders in the 80's though. 

Thanks very much Paul.

There certainly was a lot of wing droop, I tried inserting some wing spars but they didn't work so I had to straightened them in hot water and a lot of tweaking. Shame really on a modern kit!

It is a shame.   

There was another thread on the Chipmunk and the suggestion of cutting off the locating pins to the appropriate wing halves which goes towards sorting out the droopy wings. But with today's tooling and with the experience of Airfix, the problem should not be there.

• Like 2