Messerschmitt Bf 109 G6 1/32

HELLO,

Firstly, I did some kits in my childhood but they all look like  a child made (paint) them, and I recently got back to modelling with 23 on my back so you can say I'm still a beginner. I bought Revell's BF109 in 1/32 scale and used airbrush for the first time in my life. So I almost finished it but I didn't use any varnish coat yet. My problem is how can I make those transparent parts of  decals (mainly on crosses) dissapear? I thought of using gloss then clear varnish coat but I dont want to mess anything up.
p.s.This is my first post here, still getting into it. Hope I posted this in right topic 🙂 .

spacer.pngcspacer.png

• Like 14

Hi,

Welcome back to modelling. This does actually need to be in the ready for inspection forum, and ideally a minimum of 4 pictures. I will move the thread and perhaps you can add a couple more pictures?

Julien

A gloss coat would have been correct sometimes you may want to leave 24 hours from the paint to the varnish as if it's applied too soon you can have an orange peel effect. The gloss coat provides a smooth surface for the decals to adhere to but a matt coat doesn't and the silvering is  caused by the air trapped under the decal. You  an use a pin or the end of a scalpel to either poke holes into the decal or trim it carefully but you'd still want to apply a gloss coat after it's up to you, of this is your first then it's a good starring point but it can be improved however the advice is handy for your next model I am sure. I hope to see more of your kits on here.

19 hours ago, Deano353 said:

A gloss coat would have been correct sometimes you may want to leave 24 hours from the paint to the varnish as if it's applied too soon you can have an orange peel effect. The gloss coat provides a smooth surface for the decals to adhere to but a matt coat doesn't and the silvering is  caused by the air trapped under the decal. You  an use a pin or the end of a scalpel to either poke holes into the decal or trim it carefully but you'd still want to apply a gloss coat after it's up to you, of this is your first then it's a good starring point but it can be improved however the advice is handy for your next model I am sure. I hope to see more of your kits on here.

Ok thanks, so I need to try to free the air under silvering and then would be the best to put coat.

Yeah that would be right I was advised to do this here when a model of mine had silvering as well, I had a gloss coat but didn't allow sufficient time for the coats to dry so the rough finish meant it had a load of air and that cleared up about 95% of it. The model looks great by the way it's a great paint job as well, considering that's your first time with an airbrush I think you'll probably turn out some great ones in the future, you should try the unpainted natural metal finish sometime on a kit.

Edited by Deano353

Alright thank you for everything. 

On 11/1/2021 at 10:55 PM, Deano353 said:

, you should try the unpainted natural metal finish sometime on a kit.

Yes, i would love to try that one day on p51d or B-17.

Just one more thing, is one layer of coat enough or should i do more?

On 11/3/2021 at 11:08 AM, Mr_Blackbird said:

Just one more thing, is one layer of coat enough or should i do more?

If you're on about the clear coat for the decals just add a coat or two until you're happy. I actually applued the coat with a brush to the decals individually to try and make sure it was as saturated as possible. It might work first time for you or 10th you never know but if it were me I would use a new 11 blade and very carefully trim the crosses but only if you've a steady hand and you'd get rid of a lot of carrier film. You'll get there with practice you've good airbrushing skills so decaling will come easily enough. 

On 11/4/2021 at 10:45 PM, Deano353 said:

I would use a new 11 blade and very carefully trim the crosses but only if you've a steady hand and you'd get rid of a lot of carrier film.

I concluded that the best thing to do is to cut those transparent parts of crosses so I did that, now I just need to put some coat. Thank you.

On 11/6/2021 at 3:37 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

That's very well done. Decals are always a challenge to me, I think you did ok.

Thank you very much!

• Like 1

There are decal "setting solutions", too- not sure anyone mentioned those?  They help to make the decal settle into all the nooks and crannies.  And another option is masks and painted-on markings, which I have not attempted myself.

7 hours ago, gingerbob said:

There are decal "setting solutions

I found out  for  those just after I put all the decals  and I dont know if it can be used only when applying decals  or I can use it even now when it's all done. 

7 hours ago, gingerbob said:

And another option is masks and painted-on markings, which I have not attempted myself.

Actually this black and yellow stripes near tail are painted although I had decals for that, thought it would be better to paint it (and it was better haha )

Now I just have to find a way to get rid of silvering on very small decals...

p.s. Thank you for answering!