Revell 1:72 F4U-1A Corsair

OK, our first RFI. Go easy. I introduced myself in the introductions section I won't bother repeating what I said there. My son and I are 'plane mad'. Been to numerous airshows and museums. My son (10 yrs old) has a soft spot for Corsairs. One of the reasons is 'Skipper' from the Pixar movie 'Planes'. Anyway his grandparents bought him a model Corsair for his birthday. Turns out they actually bought him two. Initially they bought him this 1:72 model, decided it was too small and gave him a 1:48 Hobby Boss instead. I found out about the 1:72 and asked for that. Deciding it would be a good 'practice run' before going for the 1:48 (in retrospect maybe the 1:72 would have been less fiddly  🤣). 

I haven't built a model since I was my son's age. I was self taught. I wanted to try and do things properly with this model and teach him. So we actually painted components before assembly 👍. Took our time. Watched a lot of resources on Youtube. Didn't find this forum until we'd nearly finished. This kit is straight OOB.

This is nowhere near the standard of some of the fantastic work on this forum. It's also my son's model - I didn't want to take over. Just help when help is needed. We've well and truly been bitten by the bug again and hope to build many more - with my son and also maybe a little occasional project of my own. This really is to record the beginnings and hopefully some progress as we learn and improve. There's a lot of bits we are pleased with, and a heck of a lot of room for improvement. Which we will take on for our 1:48 Corsair project. This little Corsair has not left my son's side since the last coat dried!!!

What we learnt...

1) It should be fun
2) Thin paints and lots of coats (we didn't thin these anywhere near enough)
3) Don’t rush

IMG-20211030-143301672.jpg

• Like 34

I'm sure you are very proud of your son's work.

Will you please tell him that I think that's a very good model he's made. I'm very impressed that it has any detail in the cockpit at all, and what I can see looks very well done. I like the painting of the outside too. With acrylics you have to get used to painting a thin coat and then doing a second one on top. The first one will always look terrible but at least you don't have to wait hours before going over it. Use a hairdryer to speed it up if you are impatient. I'm sure from looking at this first one that he will quickly learn lots of new ways to do things and soon be an expert!

• Like 1

Thank you to all the kind words and encouragement. I will show my son this thread. We have started the 1:48 Hobby Boss Corsair and putting some of the things we learnt already into practice. Maybe I'll start a WIP... 🤔

• Like 1

I started my son on the old Monogram kits. Available for almost nothing at swap meets and model shows.

These are his builds, yours will be there soon !!!!!

(edited)_P1010050.jpg?width=1920&height=

P1010008_zps46d75503.jpg?width=1920&heig

(edited)_P1010058-1.jpg?width=1920&heigh

Now a days, you can get the equivalent in the new Pegesus kits.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pegasus+spitfire&sxsrf=AOaemvIbw7LtqVPRcGvC2xC1qv-wARHHAw:1635713532919&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjUrNXgw_XzAhUwn-AKHUCMAIoQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1680&bih=836&dpr=1

My dad taught me to build when I was about 6or7. Now I'm 65 and still building. You and your son will never regret this time together. All the best...

Edited by Allan31
  • Like 4

Hi,

it is a great build! Make no mistake: you and your son nailed this one! I will concur in adding that there are easier kits to start with.

The only thing I can see wrong is the size of the wing tip lights, that have been really painted far too large.

The rest is excellent!

Congrats.

JR

• Thanks 1