HMS Anchusa (a Pink Small ship)

Faraway

HMS Anchusa 1/350 Flower Class Corvette by MIRAGE.

p?i=2d6649283e7f37b697a596aa9c912ebc

I've read somewhere that MIRAGE kits are a bit problematic with regards the instructions and part fit.

I will see.

I'm going to do my best here and will be painting her in "Mountbatten Pink".

Would be rude not to really.

And, I must be mad, I'm going to try my hand at another sea base.

So, here are a few sprue shots.

p?i=f833bcdc1177753ca5434955d37cf9aa

I'm also going to replace the 2 pounder pompom and Lewis guns with Black Cat Models 3D printed ones.

p?i=4ec10b849f380469ad6dca532930f80d

p?i=d39b517e835e7ed7a460fbae4caa4bac

First job will be to drill out the scuttles and windows.

Hull plating not too bad.

p?i=8e9b1519da7147c99af4464e9fd10d52

p?i=8a6ea4bcebf4e98dbc6cd811a5fef16f

That's better. 

p?i=b38e085317e5723dfe43bebb212837db

The windows aren't so easy, but seen with the naked eye are ok.

p?i=d97eb5e9bcb84bb5b33db6aadfe1ebb1

And it does make a difference.

I also cut out two square holes in the stern for the depth charges, but looking closely at a picture of this ship in 'Flower Class Corvettes' by John Lambert & Les Brown, I'm not so sure that they should be there.

p?i=2f342390edf2c83d1fe424468b9344d8

The wall surrounding the bridge is very out of scale, so off it comes.

p?i=53c31e88ec14d545e694ef83da33c143

p?i=0c037a9bc8bc5ad04cff184309436a5b

A far better look.

p?i=86b3a574dafe30e66bb0e0ac21950750

A few hours later. A trial dry fit.

p?i=544039cc4b710c1b86483e0505cf04fb

The white blob on the bridge deck is filler, as the hole where the ladder comes through is completely in the wrong place. I've removed the moulded ladder here and on the funnel superstructure, just aft of the bridge. These will be replaced with PE ones, much nicer.

Thanks for looking folks and as always, please feel free to criticise and comment. And if you see me making a complete dick of myself, please, please tell me.

Jon

• Like 16

22 minutes ago, S-boat 55 said:

favourite so far?

I’ve not really got a favourite. 
The Langley for the satisfaction of the large amount of PE, which I was quite pleased with the result, though I had my doubts and fears about using solder, which were actually unfounded as I found it quite easy.

The Jeremiah O’Brien, because it was not wholly a warship.

The South Goodwin light ship, because it was very different from anything else.

To be honest, whichever I’m working on, at the time, is my favourite, they all seem to have something interesting and also something boring.

What about you, or in fact anyone who reads this.

What and why was a particular build memorable ?

Jon

• Like 1

Hi Jon,

I always like watch Flowers...

And I have three in my shipyard.

I have one observation:

yKlHtvA.jpg

Anyway,

good luck with Anchusa!

Best regards,

Michał

• Like 1

1 hour ago, socjo1 said:

Hi Jon,

I always like watch Flowers...

And I have three in my shipyard.

I have one observation:

yKlHtvA.jpg

Anyway,

good luck with Anchusa!

Best regards,

Michał

Thanks Michal. Even in this short time of building, I’m realising that Mirage kits are perhaps not the best quality. It’s good, but could be better, but when you consider the price then you shouldn’t be surprised. I do have a soft spot for ‘Flowers’ and will do my best. Not as good as your builds, which are stunning, but I feel I’m improving, slowly.

Jon

Looking forward to seeing you complete this with all the bells and whistles, Jon.

I did an OOB build of this kit seven years ago. I couldn't be bothered to do any rigging by the time I had fought this thing into submission:

Mirage_Flower_Class_Corvette_350_012.JPG

I have always had a soft spot for Flowers since seeing the Matchbox one in the Seventies. I have a stalled 1/72 Flower and an unstarted Revell 1/144 one too but most importantly, I have 24-hour access to "The Cruel Sea". "Snorkers, good-oh!".

Dave

• Like 6

Very posh

Just keep your little pinkie raised!

Did the Matchbox (maybe Revell?) kit (badly) back in the 80s as HMS Smilax my dad's first ship.

Tom

Edited by Modelholic
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Faraway said:

and will be painting her in "Mountbatten Pink".

Gidday, at least I got the shade of pink correct, if not the ship wearing it. 🙂 I'd like to scratch build a Flower class in 1/600 (I've not heard of any kits in this scale) one day and the larger models such as yours are a goldmine of info for me. Thanks in advance. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Jon

We have similar tastes :winkgrin:

Keep it coming

Rob

Rob.

Your WIP is never very far from me, at the mo. :worthy:

I sometimes wonder why I insist in adding PE, it’s sometimes a bit confusing flitting from one set of instructions to another. 
Jon

Bit more PE bending and sticking today and I added some 'Bobs Buckles' to the funnel and deck, in preparation for the rigging.

Jon

This is the searchlight platform.

p?i=8176d1df8969eb09391b1f4011a2befc

Then the PomPom gun tub.

p?i=f7d717c6553a81da785565a52711fe6f

And now the 4" gun platform, sticking these shell clips was a fiddle. I hope they stay put, and don't look too bad after painting.

p?i=d5b25944ba0e3b03bbf26d99dcbda128

p?i=7f86f7d777c308438c5364f3761f946d

• Like 10

Jon you have to much time on your hands to building this many kits I really need to think about retiring soon.

Looking great so far.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Jon you have to much time on your hands to building this many kits I really need to think about retiring soon.

Looking great so far.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

Cheers Beefy. This retirement thing is well worth waiting for, just wish I could have done it years ago. Am I building too fast ? What’s the ‘normal’ time you guys spend on building ? 
Jon

Well, there’s a thing.

You remember the PomPom gun tub photo ?
It’s too big !

I put one of the Black Cat 3D PomPom’s in it, and the poor little thing could hardly see over the side.

I’m a bit surprised at this,  given Atlantic Models  known accuracy.

I’ll post some photos tomorrow, to show what I’m on about.

Any thoughts, chaps.

1 hour ago, mick b said:

Great work so far! How does the Pom Pom tub compare to the kit one; is it that oversized?

Mike

Kinda speaks for itself...............

p?i=08c2b7cd15060773d6384ba8f8163516

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Faraway said:

Kinda speaks for itself...............

p?i=08c2b7cd15060773d6384ba8f8163516

Jon I had to go back to my build and check what I did.  Which was to use he plastic offering but file the edges down - you lose the lip, but i think the plastic is better proportioned

Rob

• Like 2

10 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Jon I had to go back to my build and check what I did.  Which was to use he plastic offering but file the edges down - you lose the lip, but i think the plastic is better proportioned

Rob

Rob. That’s my plan. I’ve been working on the base, using that foam you recommend, first go isn’t too bad but I think I could do better. It’s not as easy as it appears, to transfer the hull measurement to the foam and then cut it out. 
I made the mistake of using a lighter AFTER I’d cut the hull shape, which of course distorted the edges of the hole. I should have foreseen that. 
Jon

This is my first use of this Styrofoam, but second attempt. I used a lighter to shape the waves AFTER I'd cut the hole, not a good idea, but it has come out reasonably well.

Just need to figure out how to paint it so it sort of resembles water with a gentle swell.

Well maybe if you turn the lights off and squint :crosseyed: 

So if any of you kind souls can chuck any hints and tips, this old modellers way, he’ll be forever in your debt.

A bit off subject, but the instructions for this kit are most unusual, they keep either having the wrong number against parts or no number at all.

Still, who ever wants an easy life.

Jon.                                      p?i=5bb29c34b8b7d679206489f783f3d8ee

p?i=7cc9ff465e2f51d6dea04e8b3b7f4522

p?i=a2e9af76eff5961f56f0e277fc161cb3

• Like 7