Pair of Afrika Korps Panzer IIIs

Hello everyone,

These build took some time and it's finally finished. I must say I quite enjoyed it. You can see the whole process here. Thank you for following my WIP thread and for all the suggestions.

The models here should represent two tanks:

1. Panzer III Ausf. G from the 21 Panzer Division, as being photographed during April 1941 in Derna Pass during Operation Sonnenblume.
  2. Panzer III Ausf. H from the 15 Panzer Division, as being photograph during November 1941, during exercise somewhere around Tobruk.

I used Dragon kits No. 6773 and No. 6775 as a base for these builds. Many aftermarket items were used as well as some scratch building.

I apologize for soo many photos. Having to show two different tanks it was hard to keep the number lower. And of course, I was a bit lazy to make a better selection :) 

Here are some photos of Panzer III Ausf. G. Dragon kit is intended to be used for Touchpanzer version, so some changes had to be made. Also, there were some smaller field modifications, such as tools layout being changed, added roadwheel holders, etc.

Model was painted with combination of MMP and MRP paints and weathered with MIG and AK products.

And some detail shots.

And here is the real thing.

And some photos of Panzer III Ausf. H. Ausf. H and Ausf. G are quite similar, main difference being additional bolted armor and new type of wheels and wider tracks. Other differences depend on the production modifications that were continuous process. In this case, commander cupola is different for example.

This one was painted with Gunze paints and weathered with MIG and AK. 15 Panzer Division tanks have more modifications compared to 21 Panzer Division tanks. Probably a learning process from the 21 PD experience. Also, this is the first time official RAL 8000 was used. Previously, it was yellow, light paint of unknown origin.

7_

And again, some detail shots:

And the real photo of this particular tank.

Thanks for watching and thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 44
  • Thanks 4

Beautifully made, painted and weathered tanks, they do look gorgeous, I particularly like the way that you have done the luggage and accessories etc, it really does add a lot to the tanks. Brilliant my friend, well done...👍

Ed

• Thanks 1

What an incredibly beautiful and super realistic pair of models. There are so many details that catch the eye and hold one's attention....the rolled up blankets and logs on the back of the Ausf H are stunning and the overall finish with the pigments on both models is spot on.

Unimprovable....Well Done 👏👏

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, vytautas said:

Beautiful, it really does look fabulous. Awesome weathering and finish! Excellent work...

Vytautas

Thank you Vytautas.

20 hours ago, junco said:

Those are excellent Nenad, fantastic weathering and finish.

Thanks for showing.

Neil

Thank you Neil.

20 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

But it was worth it Nenad. You've produced two beauties there. Nice work.

John.

Thank you John.

19 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Beautifully made, painted and weathered tanks, they do look gorgeous, I particularly like the way that you have done the luggage and accessories etc, it really does add a lot to the tanks. Brilliant my friend, well done...👍

Ed

Thank you Ed. Yeh, I agree, stowage, accessories, wiring, etc. really adds that something special to the models.

18 hours ago, IanC said:

Superb. Both of them. 

Thank you Ian.

17 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Fantastic work Nenad and thanks for the great, helpful WIP. Nice one.👏👍

Thank you Stef, and I am glad if WIP was helpfull.

16 hours ago, M3talpig said:

Dude these are absolutely beautiful.....the weathering looks so dusty and sand blasted ....stunning just stunning :goodjob: 

Thank you.

15 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Really exceptional models! Thanks for posting your pics of these.

Thank you.

15 hours ago, StuartH said:

What an incredibly beautiful and super realistic pair of models. There are so many details that catch the eye and hold one's attention....the rolled up blankets and logs on the back of the Ausf H are stunning and the overall finish with the pigments on both models is spot on.

Unimprovable....Well Done 👏👏

Thank you Stuart. These logs at the back were bothering me a lot :)

I had no idea how to make them, everything I tried didn't look in scale or texture was off. @Jochen Barett recommended to me to use dried basil stems. What a great idea!

15 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Nenad,

A couple of great models, each in its own style, I love them, you have achieved a very interesting look, with that dust, and the gray in areas, very convincing, full of beautiful details.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Thank you Francis.

10 hours ago, Autle said:

Really good models again Nenad, the dusty weathering is spot on. There's plenty of detail to match the original photo's and it pays off. Your photography is also brilliant, well done.

Thank you Autle.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Nenad Ilijic said:

+++

Thank you Stuart. These logs at the back were bothering me a lot :)

I had no idea how to make them, everything I tried didn't look in scale or texture was off. @Jochen Barett recommended to me to use dried basil stems. What a great idea!

+++

In case people like the reuslt, I will take full credit (It looks great! Thanks for mentioning me!), in case people don't, I'll put the blame on your execution 😇

Any way, I think using the dried natural material is less effort than rolling sausages of Milliput and trying to get the texture right (and I keep my fingers crossed it will keep looking great many many years).

I like the saggy chains, the bent fender, and all that dust.

• Thanks 1

Absolutely superb pair of panzer IIIs, Nenad!

So much detail, excellent paint work and a dry dusty finish, particularly like how the weathering extends onto the stowage, great attention to detail.

Some really neat points I like the wooden chest, the roll of logs (basil stems you say...:like:), pile of jerry cans all tied down brilliant!

Far to much great stuff to pick out individually suffice to say excellent work!

Cheers

Darryl 

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2021 at 10:44 AM, Alpha Juliet said:

A+ modelling!

Thank you.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:17 AM, Jochen Barett said:

In case people like the reuslt, I will take full credit (It looks great! Thanks for mentioning me!), in case people don't, I'll put the blame on your execution 😇

Any way, I think using the dried natural material is less effort than rolling sausages of Milliput and trying to get the texture right (and I keep my fingers crossed it will keep looking great many many years).

I like the saggy chains, the bent fender, and all that dust.

Thank you Jochen. Yeah, I am very happy how they turned out. My only concern is that they will change over time, because I was not able to find perfectly dry basil, but I hope they won't :)

On 11/1/2021 at 6:14 PM, TheOxley said:

Just great stuff there Nenad…..!

They look like they drove off the pages of my old Ballantine book Afrika Korps…

Thank you!

On 11/2/2021 at 9:02 AM, Jasper dog said:

Absolutely superb pair of panzer IIIs, Nenad!

So much detail, excellent paint work and a dry dusty finish, particularly like how the weathering extends onto the stowage, great attention to detail.

Some really neat points I like the wooden chest, the roll of logs (basil stems you say...:like:), pile of jerry cans all tied down brilliant!

Far to much great stuff to pick out individually suffice to say excellent work!

Cheers

Darryl 

Thank you Darryl.

17 hours ago, Lazy Modeller said:

A very nice pair of beasts!  And a clean work very well done. I also love the disposition of the stowage.

Cheers

LM

Thank you LM.

• Like 1

Just get another pot and put it on the kitchen window sill and wait till the stems lignify before you cut and dry them. So you will be prepared in case these here change.

Or soak fresher "halfways dried" material in pledge/future and let it dry thoroughly to preserve the structure. Maybe your garden (or a public area) will offer some other "already lignified" material of similar usefulness (I'm not a dendrolgist, but I like to employ "cheap" material instead of expensive after market products and I'm lazy).

I'll keep my fingers crossed the "logs" now in place will last to the next tank modelling contest at least.

• Like 1

Two more excellent replicas Nenad. You really hit the real thing every time.

My late father (commander 1./PzRgt 8 ) would have been delighted!

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Toryu said:

Two more excellent replicas Nenad. You really hit the real thing every time.

My late father (commander 1./PzRgt 8 ) would have been delighted!

Thank you Toryu! It would have be very interesting to hear from him does the model resembles his tanks and to hear some stories about.

I usually enjoy reading war diaries (if possible to find) related to the subject I am building and the unit it belongs to, and also, I enjoy the detective work to figure out what was happening to the subject. I have a feeling as it gives some life to the subject and gives it some purpose.

Cheers,

Nenad

Hi Nenad! Well, what can I say? They are absolutely beautiful!! Some of the best modelling of AFVs I have seen. Superb finish and weathering on both! Very well done! :worthy: :worthy:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1