C-133 Cargomaster

zebra

I wasn't really expecting to start another build in this GB - I have something to be getting on with in the Nordic GB that I must get cracking on. I just got the C-133 out of the stash because I wanted to measure the engines for another project. And here I am starting a WIP thread for it. Just can't help myself!

Here are the sprues:

Roden C-133 Cargomaster

There's quite a lot of plastic here. I might just be able to squeeze it in before the end of the GB, but if not I can carry straight on with it and finish it in the KUTA GB. I'll be using one of the options in the Caracal sheet, but not sure which one yet.

The instructions tell you to build the front and rear parts of the fuselage separately and join them later, but experience tells me that's not a good idea. Instead I've assembled the two fuselage halves like so:

C-133 Cargomaster WIP

As the Caracal sheet includes decals for the cockpit windows I'm not going to bother with the interior. So I've added some nose weight (two Singaporean 20 cent pieces and two British 20p's) and joined the fuselage halves together. Cutting off the locating pins and doing it vacform-style helped with alignment, but plenty of clean-up will still be needed:

C-133 Cargomaster WIP 2

more soon

Julian

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, CliffB said:

That's a big beast, for sure! :popcorn:

Yep, I think aircraft like this are the reason 1/144 scale exists! When I get a bit further along I’ll photograph it alongside the Hercules I built earlier in the year, it’s much bigger. In fact I’m surprised at how big it is.

Despite all that, the parts breakdown means the box it came in is about 50% bigger than it needed to be!

• Like 3

Hi Julian,

Nice choice - I will watch this with interest. I seem to remember that this, like the later Starlifter, was designed with carrying ICBM's in mind so that the fuselage lengths were at least initially very similar so it will indeed be pretty big.

Pete 

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think I must have forgotten to post a couple of updates! I had got the main undercarriage legs fitted a while ago, and have now painted and attached the main wheels. These need to go on before the sponsons go on. The undercarriage legs are fitted to bulkheads - these need to be trimmed otherwise the sponsons aren't going to fit, but it's a simple enough job. The sponsons themselves fit fine.

I've also now attached the cargo doors. This is the C-133B kit, but the more interesting colour schemes on the Caracal sheet are for an A. The main difference is in the cargo doors, the rear part of the door on the B being a clamshell type which apparently made it easier to load the large ballistic missiles it was designed to carry, whereas the rear part of the door on an A was inward-opening (like on a C-130). So I've backdated my B to an A by filling the hinge lines and scribing the outline for the A's door. 

I've also assembled the engines and fitted them to the wings. Tomorrow's main job will be cleaning up the joins.

C-133 Cargomaster WIP

thanks for looking

Julian

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, roginoz said:

Can't believe how many models you manage to have on the go and not get [too] mixed up.

Looking at the thing behind the C-133, I'm not sure sure of the accuracy of that statement. ;) :D

C-133 looking good Julian, I'm seriously looking toward one now. :)

Steve.

• Haha 1

Quite a coincidence, I started the Roden C-133A kit this week and am watching your build with real interest. Thanks for the hint about joining the front and rear fuselage halves lengthways first, that is going to save me some trouble. How did you get on with fitting the engines? I have done a dry fit however it seems I will have to add some filler either on the top or the underneath, did you find the same thing? I am also intrigued which of the Caracal options you will use, I keep flipping from one to another. The white tops do look good but then so does the option with large areas of red/orange.

Michael

20 hours ago, Ghostbase said:

Quite a coincidence, I started the Roden C-133A kit this week and am watching your build with real interest. Thanks for the hint about joining the front and rear fuselage halves lengthways first, that is going to save me some trouble. How did you get on with fitting the engines? I have done a dry fit however it seems I will have to add some filler either on the top or the underneath, did you find the same thing? I am also intrigued which of the Caracal options you will use, I keep flipping from one to another. The white tops do look good but then so does the option with large areas of red/orange.

Michael

Joining it lengthways always seems to be the way to go with kits that are broken down this way. Once you've built a few Amodel kits it becomes the obvious thing to do!

The engines are probably the worst fitting parts so far (haven't test fitted the wings yet though!). I had the same problem as you on one wing - gap at the top, not such a bad fit at the bottom - whilst on the other wing there was no such gap, but a step on each side. Not really what you want when you're going to be using a natural metal finish, the clean-up of the joins needs to be really smoothly done.

Not decided on a scheme yet but I think it'll probably have a white top and some orange bits.

cheers

Julian 

• Like 2

Wings are on. Slight fit issues here, on both sides there was a slight step between the top and bottom halves of each wing at the root (despite everything having been pretty well aligned everywhere else) which was preventing a solid join, which I dealt with by scraping a bit away from the bottom half with a scalpel. Similarly a bit of material had to be scraped away from the bottom of the slot on each side - more on one side than the other - to reduce a step at the top of the join between the wing and fuselage. But none of this was a big job.

Here's how it looked just before I took it into the garage to spray a bit of primer at it. I think this and the Pelican are both unlikely to be finished by 28 November but I'll carry on with the builds here anyway.

C-133 Cargomaster WIP

cheers

Julian

• Like 9

Nice subject. I recall seeing one flying over my school on its way to Dunsfold to collect the first AV 8 Harriers for the USMC I reckoned at the time. It was about 1967 I think. The only one I ever saw!

• Like 1