I'm going to be a published Author!

upnorth

Hello All,

I'm not usually one to blow my own horn, but I'll make an exception in this case.

In Autmn of 2018, I was contacted by an editor of UK based Kuperard Publishers who told me they had seen my Beyond Prague website (there's a link to it in my signature line) and liked the content and writing style. They offered me the opportunity to write the second edition of the Czech Republic volume of their "Culture Smart!" series of books. I'd never imagined writing a book in my life, but I didn't say no to the chance.

Three years later, the writing and editing are done and the book has gone to the press. The realease date for the paperback edition is January of 2022 with the eBook edition to be releasesed in February of 2022. The book is available for pre-order here:

https://www.culturesmartbooks.co.uk/europe/czech.php?fbclid=IwAR3Uplklre0_yHq185K1SonViKWtTxwuONs1rVSZwbDsJdRNfAW2bsK0iok

It's been quite the education and a lot of work writing the book and it still feels a bit surreal to know there will be a book out there with my name on it. I just keep thinking of all the times in school when teachers asked "What do you want to do when you grow up?" I don't remember every answer I gave, but I know being a book author wasn't one of them. It feels like achieving a goal I never knew I had.

The purpose of the "Culture Smart!" books is to help reduce culture shock for people about to visit the various countries in the series.

Anyone who has ever visited the Czech Republic knows what a rewarding experience it can be.

If you've never visited the country, but are thinking about it, I hope you'll consider buying the book and that it will be helpful to you.

• Like 16

Chapter 1. How to get the English to pronounce Brno properly. 😀

That looks a great idea for a book. Not your normal "what to see" guide book. I've only ever been to your home city of Brno which is a great and underrated city. Prague is on the list one day, maybe when the stag and hen do's have stopped.

Good luck with it.👍

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Chapter 1. How to get the English to pronounce Brno properly.

We'd get it closer if we thought Burno rather than Bruno and said it quick. 

Well done. What's the next book? One on preserved aircraft? Smart blog title by the way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has it got a chapter on drinking Pilsener in Plzeň? ;) :D That apart, the Czech Republic is a place I'd like to visit, I have corresponded with some super sounding people there & would love to meet some of them, & do the Plzeň thing. I think a copy might be obligatory.:)

Steve.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Has it got a chapter on drinking Pilsener in Plzeň? ;) :D That apart, the Czech Republic is a place I'd like to visit, I have corresponded with some super sounding people there & would love to meet some of them, & do the Plzeň thing. I think a copy might be obligatory.:)

Steve.

I haven't written about drinking Pilsner in Plzeň, but there's a fair bit in it about Czech pub etiquette and pub culture to put you on the right path.

I definitely recommend a tour of the Pilsner brewery, easily one of the best put together brewery tours I've ever been on.

• Thanks 1

My friend Walter is a Bavarian German who speaks highly of many of the Czech beers. He rates many as better than some German beers. I agree about how to say "Brno". I believe that it is known for its beer and its firearms manufacturing(another interest of mine). Good luck on your book being published!

• Like 3

On 11/1/2021 at 12:45 AM, dogsbody said:

If it's as good as your Stealing The Stuka, over on the Beyond The Sprues forum, it will be a great story!

Do tell me more. Is there a chance of a link?

Congrats on the book. I had an article published in a car magazine in the late nineties. At least I've kept a copy.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Do tell me more. Is there a chance of a link?

Congrats on the book. I had an article published in a car magazine in the late nineties. At least I've kept a copy.

Here: http://beyondthesprues.com/Forum/index.php?topic=1501.msg19824#msg19824

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, JPuente54 said:

My friend Walter is a Bavarian German who speaks highly of many of the Czech beers. He rates many as better than some German beers. I agree about how to say "Brno". I believe that it is known for its beer and its firearms manufacturing(another interest of mine). Good luck on your book being published!

Having German relatives I can guarantee that that is a massive compliment.👍

• Like 3